_hi_water._'s reviews: 2112 (1976)

_hi_water._

220px-Rush_2112.jpg

2112... the album that won Rush their freedom. And the first "popular" Rush album. Does it deserve its love?

Yes, it does. It was the last studio album from the early era for them, and this is the album where Rush approaches prog.

The production is still good, like always.

The album is usually just loved for the first Side (which is the whole 2112 suite). But Side B is very overshadowed, and definitely has some gems on it. Now yes, "A Passage To Bangkok" and "Something For Nothing" get some love time to time, but the other songs seem to get ignored.

The songs:

2112 - the overture is not as good as everyone says, but I still love it.. always preferred some of the other subsongs. The Temples Of Syrinx is a very awesome rocker, Discovery is a nice refreshing piece, Presentation as well... Oracle and Soliloquy are insanely underrated IMO... and Grand Finale is probs one of their best pieces ever.

A Passage To Bangkok - yes, this is a dumb song about weed, but that's why I love it - it's fun

The Twilight Zone - one of the more interesting songs of the bunch - love those whispers

Lessons - starts out with an excellent acoustic intro, and then turns itself into a banger.

Tears - not the best mellow song Rush made, but it's still quite nice to listen to. Alice In Chains made a phenomenal cover of this song, I'll post it below.

Something For Nothing - the banger. Nuff said...

Ranking albums from this period of time:

4. Rush

3. Fly By Night

2. Caress Of Steel

1. 2112

Ah 2112!!! their proggiest album up until then.

2112 - what can i say that hasn't already been said? First time I played it when it reached the end of the track i just stared at the turntable ..... what a musical moment for me!

A Passage to Bangkok - a catchy number that stuck in my head ... love the little percussion bit!

The Twilight Zone - in my mind it's underestimated ... i really liked it

Lessons - Nice intro into a damn fine rock song

Tears - the mellow song which is ok but no more than that

Something For Nothing - A great way to end the album ... it rocks out!

Rush were in the big league now. One of my favourite Rush albums. In my view they never made anything post '82 that comes close to rivalling this.

Their best album at that point in time (and very few later albums will better it.)

Edited by zepphead

2112...Depending on the day, it’s #5 or #6 in my Rush album rankings behind #4 A Farewell to Kings OR #5 Signals.

The muscle and heart behind this release is certainly the title track. After that comes more brawn with Bangkok and Something for Nothing. Twilight Zone is in there in all its weird glory as is the fun tune, Lessons. Tears is the weakest link for me and probably the reason why 2112 just won’t crack the top 4. Still, it’s a decent enough song and something I never skip. A near perfect listening experience.

Overall grade: A

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze

I'm one of the rare Rush fans that doesnt see Side 1 as an absolute masterpiece. It's got the 2nd half of Overture, Syrinx, Presentation, and Oracle. The rest is a no for me. Too many dull and unappealing parts for me to enjoy the epic in it's entirety. I dont have a problem with the story.

Bangkok is hands down the best from this album, and Something For Nothing isnt far behind. Lessons is just straight up boring, and the other 2 are just good.

Production quality is so much better than Caress, and the mixing is on point.

a light 7/10, B+