Jump to content


Steven Wilson - To The Bone


  • Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#141 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 03:02 PM

View PostFordgalaxy, on 14 December 2018 - 12:08 AM, said:

View PostPresto-digitation, on 09 December 2018 - 10:37 PM, said:

Saw back-to-back nights on this tour.  Also heard him go off on Greta Van Fleet, people who can’t enjoy pop, not wanting to hear fans discuss the prog metal band they’re in, and his complete and utter awareness of Warren Zevon.  He was in rare form.  :D

Goes off on Greta Van Fleet yet doesn't understand his hypocrisy of some people not enjoying pop.

It's all subject, Stevie. Shut up and play.

The sound of muzak!



Sponsored Post

#142 GabesCavesOfIce

GabesCavesOfIce

    The Sphere

  • Members *
  • 8719 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Miamisburg, OH. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh. Miamisburg, Oh
  • Interests:Miamisburg, Oh

    Outland Empire (located on the opposite US coast from Johnny and Dave).

Posted 17 December 2018 - 07:26 PM

View Poststoopid, on 13 December 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm finally getting around to the royal albert bluray.  Pariah live definitely works better.  Nowhere now was a surprisingly good opener.  People who eat darkness wasn't working for me though.  That's as far as I managed today in the show.  More soon.

I like most of TtB, it just doesn't rank at the top of his output (solo or PT).

When he spoke of people who eat darkness backstory, I was completely mesmerized. He also played Routine at the show I was at. Completely unexpected. Wow.

His last two, TTB and HCE are both incredible albums. One with long form song prog brilliance, the other with shorter poppier songs with prog blended in. Let’s face it, SW can’t not do prog. It’s in him to the bone.

#143 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 17 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

View PostGabesCavesOfIce, on 17 December 2018 - 07:26 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 13 December 2018 - 11:31 PM, said:

I'm finally getting around to the royal albert bluray.  Pariah live definitely works better.  Nowhere now was a surprisingly good opener.  People who eat darkness wasn't working for me though.  That's as far as I managed today in the show.  More soon.

I like most of TtB, it just doesn't rank at the top of his output (solo or PT).

When he spoke of people who eat darkness backstory, I was completely mesmerized. He also played Routine at the show I was at. Completely unexpected. Wow.

His last two, TTB and HCE are both incredible albums. One with long form song prog brilliance, the other with shorter poppier songs with prog blended in. Let’s face it, SW can’t not do prog. It’s in him to the bone.

And or "prop" proggy pop...

I am not even sure if its prog but a pursuit of sonic perfection. His live sound is just amazing imo

#144 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 19 December 2018 - 10:56 PM

Home theater is finally setup after the move.  Finishing the SW bluray.  Great stuff, the remainder of the songs from To the Bone were great, especially liked Song of Unborn.  Highlight was Blundell owning Sleep Together.  Entire band was tight, but Craig really elevated the performance.

Great sounding live show overall too, but I'd expect nothing less from SW.  He puts his all into these tours.

Inspired me finally buy Opeth at Red Rocks.  Unemployed (hopefully not for much longer) and need some music to fill my life.

#145 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:56 PM

Holy too shy shy!

Just learned nick beggs was i kajagoogoo

#146 greyfriar

greyfriar

    River Rhine BurgerMeister

  • Members
  • 9226 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rheinsheim
  • Interests:Music
    Munros in Scottish Highland
    Constructing weird grammar phrases in TRF posts
    It is what it is - and forever!

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:14 PM

View Posttangy, on 20 December 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Holy too shy shy!

Just learned nick beggs was i kajagoogoo
Yeah, and he has grown to one of The Mute Gods. Check 'em out.
Nick Beggs is a brilliant singer and his finger work is afar from being bad.

Edited by greyfriar, 20 December 2018 - 09:15 PM.


#147 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 21 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

I think one reason Steven didn't push too hard for Guthrie to return was the lack of backing vocals, and TtB has a few tracks with a strong vocal element.  Now he has three vocalists (including himself, 4 if you include Ninet).  Alex Hutchings seems to sing well, although he's not particularly known for it(?).

#148 sonoflife

sonoflife

    Long Awaited Froind

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:52 PM

View Poststoopid, on 21 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I think one reason Steven didn't push too hard for Guthrie to return was the lack of backing vocals, and TtB has a few tracks with a strong vocal element.  Now he has three vocalists (including himself, 4 if you include Ninet).  Alex Hutchings seems to sing well, although he's not particularly known for it(?).

I thought Guthrie went after SW and Marco had that little public tift a while back? Cant imagine Guthrie sticking around after what Marco said about Wilson.

#149 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:40 AM

View Postsonoflife, on 01 January 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

View Poststoopid, on 21 December 2018 - 10:38 AM, said:

I think one reason Steven didn't push too hard for Guthrie to return was the lack of backing vocals, and TtB has a few tracks with a strong vocal element.  Now he has three vocalists (including himself, 4 if you include Ninet).  Alex Hutchings seems to sing well, although he's not particularly known for it(?).

I thought Guthrie went after SW and Marco had that little public tift a while back? Cant imagine Guthrie sticking around after what Marco said about Wilson.

I'm not aware of one event affecting the other.  The reason they gave publicly was the next Aristocrats tour clashed with SW's next album/tour, iirc.  But if any of them wanted they could of course have made it happened, so whether SW didn't push hard enough to have Guthrie back or they truly were deranged enough to skip out on the best thing that's happened to either of their careers... ?

#150 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 07:22 PM

Stoned

#151 stoopid

stoopid

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1151 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV
  • Interests:Music, climbing, birds

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:31 PM

Posted Image

#152 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 27 March 2019 - 06:53 PM

View Poststoopid, on 26 March 2019 - 11:31 PM, said:

Posted Image

Permanating high above the clouds!

#153 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10622 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 10:41 AM

This is a great album.

#154 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 06:48 PM

View PostPresto-digitation, on 28 March 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

This is a great album.

It is and its still growing on me. I recently went through all that old school PT you hooked me up with.

Thank you.

#155 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

    Creative Writing 101

  • Members
  • 10622 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:49 PM

View Posttangy, on 28 March 2019 - 06:48 PM, said:

View PostPresto-digitation, on 28 March 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

This is a great album.

It is and its still growing on me. I recently went through all that old school PT you hooked me up with.

Thank you.

Yeah brother!

#156 tangy

tangy

    The Great Progholio

  • Members
  • 10177 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:01 PM

Very late to the party but the version of don't hate me on 4.5 is quite awesome.

#157 treeduck

treeduck

    Tenacious T

  • Members *
  • 89769 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Manchester, England

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:09 PM

I can't remember being in this thread before. :unsure:




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users