Setlist of never played live before songs

54 replies to this topic

#21 Earthshine

Earthshine

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4302 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:06 AM

Well, thanks to the help and corrections of many of you, I have revised it! :)

Opening sequences: Like we've seen before, but something different, yet extremely funny, that only they could think of.  A Three Stooges theme song that was possibly never used before and snippets of never played live before songs (kind of like Closer To The Heart and The Spirit Of Radio have been used in the past)?

Chain Lightning
Face Up
I Think I'm Going Bald
Dog Years
Hand Over Fist
Freeze (Part IV of "Fear")
Different Strings
Nocturne
Anagram (For Mongo)
The Big Wheel
Lessons
Bravest Face
Madrigal
The Speed Of Love

INTERMISSION

Emotion Detector
Neurotica
Open Secrets
Red Tide
Heresy
Good News First
Sweet Miracle
Second Nature
Rivendell
Tai Shan
Roll Away The Stone
Alien Shore (with drum solo!)
High Water
Out Of The Cradle
Everyday Glory
You Bet Your Life
Available Light

ENCORE

The Color Of Right
We Hold On

Closing sequence:  Again, something funny yet finishing with serious pictures of the band over the years with instrumental music in the background; possibly written for this sequence only and never heard before by anyone. All created by the band

Sponsored Post

#22 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30144 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

View PostEarthshine, on 23 May 2017 - 04:06 AM, said:

Well, thanks to the help and corrections of many of you, I have revised it! :)

Opening sequences: Like we've seen before, but something different, yet extremely funny, that only they could think of.  A Three Stooges theme song that was possibly never used before and snippets of never played live before songs (kind of like Closer To The Heart and The Spirit Of Radio have been used in the past)?

Chain Lightning
Face Up
I Think I'm Going Bald
Dog Years
Hand Over Fist
Freeze (Part IV of "Fear")
Different Strings
Nocturne
Anagram (For Mongo)
The Big Wheel
Lessons
Bravest Face
Madrigal
The Speed Of Love

INTERMISSION

Emotion Detector
Neurotica
Open Secrets
Red Tide
Heresy
Good News First
Sweet Miracle
Second Nature
Rivendell
Tai Shan
Roll Away The Stone
Alien Shore (with drum solo!)
High Water
Out Of The Cradle
Everyday Glory
You Bet Your Life
Available Light

ENCORE

The Color Of Right
We Hold On

Closing sequence:  Again, something funny yet finishing with serious pictures of the band over the years with instrumental music in the background; possibly written for this sequence only and never heard before by anyone. All created by the band

Tbh, I wouldn't be too excited about that set list. I don't even really want to hear half of it. Maybe a little more.

What I would do is this though:
I'd have a medley like they did for R30 BUT it'd be stuff off Victor and My Favorite Headache. I'd put this 5 song, 6-8 minute medley at the start of the second act. I'd have it consist of (and not in this order) Promise, Strip and Go Naked, My Favorite Headache, Home on the Strange, and Grace to Grace.

If Rush could play covers of their favorite artists during that R30 tour then surely they can play non-Rush tunes in medley form off Victor and MFH.

I'd only do it for this particular imaginary situation since it fits into the "never played live before" theme.

#23 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts
  • Interests:music,tv,reading,hiking,my kids and grandkids,beautiful women2

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:42 PM

Between Sun & Moon    

There is a video of them doing this live on one of the live dvds cause they dedicated it to john entwhistle.

#24 rugen

rugen

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1184 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 02:26 PM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 22 May 2017 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostEarthshine, on 22 May 2017 - 05:12 PM, said:

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 22 May 2017 - 04:59 PM, said:

Lessons has been done live I think, and this thread was already done :)

When was Lessons done live? Interesting. I am sure this thread had probably had been done already, but did not know where it was. Or how recent it had been done; i.e. post-Clockwork Angels. :)

Idk but I thought it was done live. I would have to look up to make sure.

I think it was made 2-3 years ago idk, I would have to find it, but I know it exists.
I have serious doubt that they played "Lessons" ever, according to Robert Telleria, recently I don't think so...

#25 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

This is probably, with the exception of Cut To The Chase and Lessons, a list of my least favorite songs.

#26 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:10 PM

i got a bootleg that has a song called garden road on it,and it is not on any album i have seen frpm rush.anybody heard the story behind that?

#27 toymaker

toymaker

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5896 posts
  • Interests:Songwriting and recording, cycling, movies, guitar and bass collecting

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:14 PM

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment - to hear some of these cool (?) tunes live, but I think I'd walk out pretty disappointed.

Squeezing maybe three new ones into a set list each tour would be okay, but they'd have to do another 11 tours.  I'd probably skip the tour with Tai Shan . . .

#28 PolarizeMe

PolarizeMe

Vapor Trail

• Members
  • 18273 posts
  • Interests:NO FUN. NOT EVER.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:19 PM

If I wanted to hear a song from T4E that has never been played live, it'd be Totem. And it's not "Roll Away The Stone", it's Carve Away The Stone. I think next to RTB, it's my least favorite album because of its un-memorability IMO outside of the title track, Driven, Totem, Resist, and Limbo.

#29 djflex

djflex

The Professor

• Members
  • 3830 posts
  • Interests:Doing the tasks the voices in my head tell me to do

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:33 PM

View PostPermanent-Rush, on 22 May 2017 - 11:04 PM, said:

View Postdjflex, on 22 May 2017 - 10:06 PM, said:

What about fountains of lamneth?

To my knowledge, and I am sure almost everyone else here agrees that it was never preformed live.

It could have, but we may never know.

No, i dont think so either. Would be a great add to setlist though

#30 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8902 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 09:40 PM

View PostEarthshine, on 22 May 2017 - 04:26 PM, said:

...Second Nature
Rivendell
Tai Shan...

F√úCK YES!!!

#31 PinkFaure

PinkFaure

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Art, pinball, video games, films, novels, astrology, and history.

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:01 PM

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 23 May 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

i got a bootleg that has a song called garden road on it,and it is not on any album i have seen frpm rush.anybody heard the story behind that?

Garden Road and Fancy Dancer were both songs performed way early on (as in, Rutsey was there when they were written) and were never recorded. There are only two versions I know of, the Agora Ballroom (ABC Broadcast 1974) and another one that's on Youtube.

That bootleg you speak of though, is it ABC 1974 (the official release), Complete Agora, or somethin' else? I have Complete Agora and it's nothing more than the official release with bonus content.

#32 Lucas

Lucas

Leave That Wrench Alone

• Members
  • 10784 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 11:20 PM

After the final chords of Working Man, they ended each set on the R40 tour with the Garden Road riff

So ironically, barring a miracle, a song they chose never to properly record is the last song they will ever have played together onstage

#33 Earthshine

Earthshine

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4302 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:24 AM

View PostPolarizeMe, on 23 May 2017 - 09:19 PM, said:

And it's not "Roll Away The Stone", it's Carve Away The Stone.

Thank you! I should and DO know that! :)

#34 Earthshine

Earthshine

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4302 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 12:28 AM

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 23 May 2017 - 01:42 PM, said:

Between Sun & Moon

There is a video of them doing this live on one of the live dvds cause they dedicated it to john entwhistle.

On my update I eliminated it. Thanks! :) Would loved to have seen them dedicate it to John Entwistle. The first time I saw them do it was on the Counterparts tour in 1994: 8 years before we lost The Ox John Entwistle.

#35 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:21 AM

View PostLucas, on 23 May 2017 - 11:20 PM, said:

After the final chords of Working Man, they ended each set on the R40 tour with the Garden Road riff

So ironically, barring a miracle, a song they chose never to properly record is the last song they will ever have played together onstage

thanks.the one i got was the one from 1974.

#36 workingthemangels63

workingthemangels63

The Seeker

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 11:26 AM

View Posttoymaker, on 23 May 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

Yeah, I appreciate the sentiment - to hear some of these cool (?) tunes live, but I think I'd walk out pretty disappointed.

Squeezing maybe three new ones into a set list each tour would be okay, but they'd have to do another 11 tours.  I'd probably skip the tour with Tai Shan . . .

eush played more new songs on every tour that just  about anybody i,d bet. when i saw them in 1981,they played subdivisons way before signals came out just like they did caravan.

#37 bordercollie

bordercollie

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 651 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:52 PM

View PostEarthshine, on 24 May 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

Between Sun & Moon

On my update I eliminated it. Thanks! :) Would loved to have seen them dedicate it to John Entwistle. The first time I saw them do it was on the Counterparts tour in 1994: 8 years before we lost The Ox John Entwistle.

They never played it until the Vapor Trails tour.

#38 Earthshine

Earthshine

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4302 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:47 PM

View Postworkingthemangels63, on 24 May 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

View Posttoymaker, on 23 May 2017 - 09:14 PM, said:

eush played more new songs on every tour that just  about anybody i,d bet. when i saw them in 1981,they played subdivisons way before signals came out just like they did caravan.

1981? I know for sure I saw them on the Spring Training Tour in April 1982 and they played Subdivision and Analog Kid. I remember Geddy singing the line "Subdivisions" much differently than the way it was eventually recorded.

Also, when I saw them on the Permanent Waves Tour in September 1980, they played Tom Sawyer and Limelight. There is at least one bootleg of this tour with these on it. Very much like the recorded versions, but very different guitar solos. Lyrics were the same I think. Drum fills were the same too I think. They would go into the studio a month later and record them, so they were pretty finalized.

It was so neat to hear this unreleased songs before they would get recorded. Rush were giving us a sneak-peek on new material and at the same time finalizing them for themselves before recording them.

#39 Earthshine

Earthshine

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4302 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:48 PM

View Postbordercollie, on 24 May 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

View PostEarthshine, on 24 May 2017 - 12:28 AM, said:

Between Sun & Moon

They never played it until the Vapor Trails tour.

Okay. I had thought for sure they had done it on the Counterparts tour when I saw them, but I take your word for it. :) I saw them on the Vapor Trails tour, so at least I got to see them play it. :)

Edited by Earthshine, 24 May 2017 - 10:51 PM.

#40 Na na na

Na na na

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 2007 posts
  • Interests:Music, cooking, wine, fine clothing, wet shaving, traveling & football (soccer)

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

Lessons
The Fountain Of Lamneth
Cut To The Chase
Open Secrets
Emotion Detector
Chain Lightning
The Big Wheel
The Color Of Right
Peaceable Kingdom
The Speed Of Love
Second Nature
Available Light
Totem
The Stars Look Down
Dog Years
Vapor Trail
Carve Away The Stone
Nocturne
Freeze

Edited by Na na na, 25 May 2017 - 08:15 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users