The "Vs." Tribute Poll

JohnnyBlaze

The Texas King, diatribein, Entre Perpetuo tribute polls  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these '84 releases do you like the most?

• Rush: Grace Under Pressure
    • Whitesnake: Slide It In
    • Iron Maiden: Powerslave
    • Scorpions: Love at First Sting
    • Dio: Last in Line
    • Judas Priest: Defenders of the Faith
    • Van Halen: 1984
  2. 2. Which of these '87 albums do you like more?

• Rush: Hold Your Fire
    • Def Lepard: Hysteria
  3. 3. Which do you prefer?

• Rush: Grace Under Pressure
    • Yes: Closer to the Edge

Because I'm curious and since I know these guys won't bother to make the polls themselves...

The reason for Poll 1...

Before someone posts that I might've forgotten an album or two or three, I didn't forget Bon Jovi, Slide It In, Out of the Cellar, Stay Hungry, Under Wraps, The Warning, etc. I like some, others I think suck.

I would take Slide It In over 1984 by a fair margin any time of week.

Make a poll for Slide It In vs 1984 and watch Whitesnake get their asses kicked 85-90% to 10-15%. You don't want to see that and neither do I (and I don't even like Whitesnake).

From 1984, I also like Jethro Tull's Under Wraps and Queensryche's The Warning but BOTH would get murdered vs Grace Under Pressure. It doesn't matter if I like an album/band/song or not when I make these polls. I'm going for what I think will be the best possible fight in the poll itself.

OK, Blaze I get your point. But this poll is too short - only 3 choices. I would definitely include popular albums as Powerslave, Love at First Sting, The Last in Line and Defenders of the Faith in this poll.

The reason for Poll 2...

Also, in regards to only choosing albums that will put up a fight, how do you leave Def Leppard - Hysteria off of 1987?!?!?

The reason for Poll 3...

So apparently CTTE is no better than RTB than Pearl Jam's Ten...I wonder what would happen if I put an average Rush album up against this. Say, p/g?

I think a Grace Under Pressure has its hands full in Poll 1. It could very well lose. :yes:

I think Rush will come out on top in the other two though. I'd be surprised if Hysteria gets over 35%.

Let's see what happens.

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_super/18/181336/2491924-mortal+kombat+2+game+play.jpg

:hail:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

An easy one for me since I have only heard two of these. One is all time great and one is really really good...

I haven't heard any of the options in the first two polls, so I would've often out, but I had to vote for CTTE, so GuP and HYF got some more votes in those first two.

I haven't heard any of the options in the first two polls, so I would've often out, but I had to vote for CTTE, so GuP and HYF got some more votes in those first two.

This is what someone said in the other thread---some votes are for Rush by default. It's natural.

This was my reply to diatribein in the original thread regarding Hysteria and its popularity on TRF:

I don't think Hysteria would've beaten any Rush. If you disagree, make the thread and find out.

I'm surprised that CTTE is destroying GUP so far though. I don't care, I'm just surprised.

• Like 1

1)Powerslave, no brainer, far and away my fave album by Iron Maiden

2)not a fan of either HYF or Hysteria, but I ticked HYF

3)CTTE, by far

That's it and thanks for this poll, bro Blaze.

:cheers:

In regards to my first post predictions...

As expected, GUP isn't having an easy time in your section.

As expected, HYF is annihilating Hysteria.

Not as expected, GUP is currently losing by 1 vote vs CTTE. I thought it'd be more like 60/40 in favor of GUP.

This last poll is particularly interesting as GUP was getting killed at first. THEN, it took a slight lead. Now, it's losing again albeit just by 1. CTTH & GUP are stubborn sumbitches. :hail:

• Like 1

The 2nd and 3rd questions were easy - Rush got my vote both times. No brainers.

The 1st question - OMG that was hard.

I considered Love at 1st sting but no - it does not beat Grace.

Considered 1984. No, Grace wins that match up (easy actually).

Considered Slide it In but Grace wins that match up (easy win). Now, if it had been the ST Whitesnake album - wow. Dang that would be a hard one to pick. But its not.

Considered The Last In Line and almost voted for it. I will come back to that one.

Then I thought about Defenders of the Faith, Great album but no. Grace beats it. Close but it beats it. Now if it had been Screaming for Vengence, that would have been another matter. Screaming wins that match up.

Then I considered Powerslave. Yup, Powerslave wins that match up. Then I considered The Last in Line again. No, Last in Line does not beat Grace. If it had been Holly Diver - dang thats close. Yes, Holly Diver might have beat Grace - I guess. Maybe. Interestingly, I think the song The Last in Line might, perhaps, be my favorite song off these albums. Maybe.

So Powerslave got my vote (followed by Grace, The Last in Line, Defenders, Love at 1'st Sting, 1984 & Slide it In).

Man, I had forgotten just how great a year that was for Rock Music.