Bret Farve's last year?

Cyberdude

I'm a big Favre fan and a bigger Packers fan.

I think this is it, the last year, and it's exactly the right time, for him, and for the team. I know he's not as good as he was 5 or 10 years ago, but I still say he's an above-average starting QB and gives GB a chance to win every week. I also know some say he should have quit last year, but i disagree, at least from the perspective of the team. they need him this year. They're still not sure what they have w/ Rodgers, it could be good, it could be bad, but one more year watching the system as a back-up will serve him and the team well.

It's hard to say how productive he'll be, so much depends on the team's overall performance (and vice-versa I suppose.) I totally believe that if had more weapons, (e.g. Indy, San Diego, etc.) he'd be as productive as anyone. that said, there are some things for him to be optimistic about. For instance, last year he had 3! rookies on his O-line. they started the vast majority of the games last year and really improved as the season went on, which bodes well for 2007. Similarly, he's got a decent corps of WRs, led by Driver, and then some really high potential younger guys like Greg Jennings and rookie James Jones. The biggest question mark is around how much support/production they get from the backfield. With the departure of Ahman Green (Godspeed, old friend, you deserve the huge deal you got in free agency), the backfield is almost entirely unproven. 3rd year guy Vernand Morency is the probable starter, followed by Noah Herron and rookie brandon Jackson.

We'll see, my expectations aren't all that high. I was optimistic as they went 4-0 in December last year to finish at 8-8. A nice improvement over 2005's pathetic 4-12 showing. However, I expected more from the off-season. i wanted more offensive help at the skill positions, both in the draft and/or in free agency (e.g. exactly what the Patriots did, getting Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth!)

But we'll see, perhaps slow and steady will indeed win the race, but unfortunately for ole Brett, I'm not sure he's got the luxury of time.

It's been one hell of a run though, he's provided a lifetime of memories. Hopefully he'll be able to go out on some sort of a high-note.

cheer.gif

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Aug 8 2007, 07:47 PM)
I'm a big Favre fan and a bigger Packers fan.

I think this is it, the last year, and it's exactly the right time, for him, and for the team. I know he's not as good as he was 5 or 10 years ago, but I still say he's an above-average starting QB and gives GB a chance to win every week. I also know some say he should have quit last year, but i disagree, at least from the perspective of the team. they need him this year. They're still not sure what they have w/ Rodgers, it could be good, it could be bad, but one more year watching the system as a back-up will serve him and the team well.

It's hard to say how productive he'll be, so much depends on the team's overall performance (and vice-versa I suppose.) I totally believe that if had more weapons, (e.g. Indy, San Diego, etc.) he'd be as productive as anyone. that said, there are some things for him to be optimistic about. For instance, last year he had 3! rookies on his O-line. they started the vast majority of the games last year and really improved as the season went on, which bodes well for 2007. Similarly, he's got a decent corps of WRs, led by Driver, and then some really high potential younger guys like Greg Jennings and rookie James Jones. The biggest question mark is around how much support/production they get from the backfield. With the departure of Ahman Green (Godspeed, old friend, you deserve the huge deal you got in free agency), the backfield is almost entirely unproven. 3rd year guy Vernand Morency is the probable starter, followed by Noah Herron and rookie brandon Jackson.

We'll see, my expectations aren't all that high. I was optimistic as they went 4-0 in December last year to finish at 8-8. A nice improvement over 2005's pathetic 4-12 showing. However, I expected more from the off-season. i wanted more offensive help at the skill positions, both in the draft and/or in free agency (e.g. exactly what the Patriots did, getting Randy Moss and Donte Stallworth!)

But we'll see, perhaps slow and steady will indeed win the race, but unfortunately for ole Brett, I'm not sure he's got the luxury of time.

It's been one hell of a run though, he's provided a lifetime of memories. Hopefully he'll be able to go out on some sort of a high-note.

cheer.gif

Ahh, someone who can spell his name laugh.gif and a cheesehead from Chicago? unsure.gif oh dear! wacko.gif

Well Favre's a great ambassador for the game and ranks up there with the all-time greats (Marino, Elway, Aikman etc etc), and he's got a SB ring. He'll never be as good as he was, but who cares? He'll still post good numbers.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Aug 8 2007, 03:01 PM)
with the all-time greats (Marino, Elway, Aikman etc etc), and he's got a SB ring.

How come everyone always leaves out Montana??? (Four, yes 4, SB rings tongue.gif , along with Bradshaw)

Just bustin' on ya. Marino gets mentioned with no SB rings... wink.gif

I hope Favre has a great year, I have always liked watching him play, definitely one of the greats. I think he is better then the 3 you mentioned, IMO. laugh.gif Mostly due to his outstanding presence on the field. The other 3 were good, but I never got the sense of excitement everytime they dropped back wondering what they were going to pull off. That is the extra Favre brings for me, Montana used to do the same thing.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 8 2007, 08:57 PM)
with the all-time greats (Marino, Elway, Aikman etc etc), and he's got a SB ring.

How come everyone always leaves out Montana??? (Four, yes 4, SB rings tongue.gif , along with Bradshaw)

I hope Favre has a great year, I have always liked watching him play, definitely one of the greats. I think he is better then the 3 you mentioned, IMO. laugh.gif Mostly due to his outstanding presence on the field. The other 3 were good, but I never got the sense of excitement everytime they dropped back wondering what they were going to pull off. That is the extra Favre brings for me, Montana used to do the same thing.

Hey digi, I'm a Bills fan, I just thought'a few off the top of my head tongue.gif

doh.gif

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Aug 8 2007, 04:01 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 8 2007, 08:57 PM)

Hey digi, I'm a Bills fan, I just thought'a few off the top of my head tongue.gif

doh.gif

Just giving you a hard time. I watched Montana's whole career, starting when I was about 13-14. He's my favorite, I think he's the best to ever play the position.

Montana, from a talent perspective, is far behind Favre, Elway, Marino, etc.

I hate the Packers with abandon. However, Brett Favre is probably the best football player I've ever seen, and is a great guy.

Yes there are a few better than favre, but IMO there was no tougher, gutsier QB than him - He has always been my favorite - Would like to see him end on a good note but if not at least i had the honor of watching him one more year -

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 8 2007, 11:49 PM)

I hate the Packers with abandon. However, Brett Favre is probably the best football player I've ever seen, and is a great guy.

Yeah. ok.

He is 1 of only 2 QB's to win 4 superbowls

He has the 4th highest career QB at the start of the 2007 season

He has thrown for the most yards in his 4 Superbowl appearances (even though Elway appeared in 5, winning only 2)

If Montana he hadn't played the gane the way he did under Walsh, Favre wouldn't be where he is. There is a reason it is called the West Coast offense.

Favre is no doubt a first ballot hall of famer but it's really time for him to hang it up. I would like to see him on a better team at this point in his career. I'm sure that he still has some razzle dazzle left in him but he's going to take a beating this year.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2007, 02:04 PM)

Yeah. ok.

He has thrown for the most yards in his 4 Superbowl appearances (even though Elway appeared in 5, winning only 2)

If Montana he hadn't played the gane the way he did under Walsh, Favre wouldn't be where he is. There is a reason it is called the West Coast offense.

You misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that he isn't one of the best quarterback's ever.. far from it, he's in my top five. I'm talking about athletic talent.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Aug 10 2007, 07:31 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 9 2007, 02:04 PM)

Yeah. ok.

You misunderstood my post. I wasn't suggesting that he isn't one of the best quarterback's ever.. far from it, he's in my top five. I'm talking about athletic talent.

Montana's strength was in his head...as well as decent athleticism. But yes, others were more flat out athletes - Elway is a great example.

QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 14 2007, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 8 2007, 03:57 PM)
Marino gets mentioned with no SB rings... wink.gif

That's because he is the all time greatest for his position. Ring or no Ring

Marino was great, but I disagree. I can't even get him into the top 3....

Montana

Unitas

Elway

Favre

Marino

Don't get me wrong, he was amazing, but I think the lack of ring might speak to his lack of leadership and/or intangibles as compared to the greats I have ranked ahead of him, above. And I think that's a very important element of being a great NFL QB. Maybe he was the best "passer" but not the best QB, imo. Sort of a much less extreme version of Jeff George (yikes!)...OK that was harsh, but you get my drift....I don't mean to disrespect Dan the Man.

QUOTE (New World Manny @ Aug 15 2007, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (mazyyz @ Aug 14 2007, 10:47 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Aug 8 2007, 03:57 PM)
Marino gets mentioned with no SB rings... wink.gif

That's because he is the all time greatest for his position. Ring or no Ring

Marino was great, but I disagree. I can't even get him into the top 3....

Montana

Unitas

Elway

Favre

Marino

Don't get me wrong, he was amazing, but I think the lack of ring might speak to his lack of leadership and/or intangibles as compared to the greats I have ranked ahead of him, above. And I think that's a very important element of being a great NFL QB. Maybe he was the best "passer" but not the best QB, imo. Sort of a much less extreme version of Jeff George (yikes!)...OK that was harsh, but you get my drift....I don't mean to disrespect Dan the Man.

This Dan Marino?

--------------------------

NFL records set by Dan Marino

(Note: This list documents records set by Dan Marino. Some of the records have since been broken.)

Most Attempts, Career: 8,358

Most Completions, Career: 4,967 (since broken by Brett Favre (5021) in 2006)

Most Yards Passing, Career: 61,361

Most Touchdown Passes, Career: 420

Most Passing Yards, Season: 5,084 in 1984

Most Touchdown Passes, Season: '48 (since broken by Peyton Manning 49)

Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Career: 13

Most Games, 400 or more Yards Passing, Season: 4 in 1984

Most Games, 300 or more Yards Passing, Career: 63

Most Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 13 (1984-92, 1994-95, 1997-98) (since broken by Brett Favre 15)

Most Consecutive Seasons, 3,000 or more Yards Passing: 9 (1984-92) (injury stopped streak continued for three seasons after injury, since broken by Brett Favre 15)

Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Career: 21

Most Games, Four or more Touchdown Passes, Season: 6 in 1984

Lowest Percentage, Passes Intercepted, Rookie Season: 2.03 in 1983 (296-6)

Most Seasons Leading League, Attempts: 5 (1984, 1986, 1988, 1992, 1997)

Most Seasons Leading League, Completions: 6 (1984-86, 1988, 1992, 1997)

Most Seasons, 40 or more Touchdown Passes: 2 (1984, 1986)

100 TD Passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 44 (9/7/86 at San Diego)

200 TD passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 89 (9/17/89 at New England)

300 TD passes in Fewest Amount of Games to Start Career: 157 (9/4/94 vs. New England)

Highest TD-INT differential: +168

NFL records tied

Most Seasons Leading League, Yards Gained: 5 (1984-86, 1988, 1992) with Sonny Jurgensen (Philadelphia, 1961-62; Washington, 1966-67, 1969)

Most Consecutive Seasons Leading League, Completions: 3 (1984-86) with George Blanda (Houston, 1963-65)

Most Consecutive Games, 400 or more Yards Passing: 2 (1984) with Dan Fouts (San Diego, 1982), Phil Simms (N.Y. Giants, 1985), and Billy Volek (Tennessee, 2004)

Most Wins against one team: 22 against the Indianapolis Colts ( Brett Favre vs. the Chicago Bears)

---------------------------

Dan was one of the greatest QBs of all time. He had plenty of leadership skills, rings are won by TEAMS and non eof his teams had the overall juice to win a Super Bowl. But Marino was an amazing QB...

QUOTE (alphseeker @ Sep 24 2007, 12:15 AM)
For every analyst who said Favre was washed up and should have retired, well it's time to say sorry - Because He's making all of you &^@&^%@'s look like sh!$ -

I'm surprised. He woulda thunk that the Packers would be this good?

Archived