Revamping The Interdimensional Vortex

rushgoober

For some reason I had a really lousy time on my show last week, although when listening back to the archive of it, it came through just fine. BTW, the archives can be found either HERE or HERE.

Anyway, upon searching for the cause of my disappointment, I decided that I just put too much time into preparing each show, generally at least 3 hours of work into preparing a 2 hour show, and if people aren't wildly enthusiastic about it I feel like it's for nothing. The prep work isn't as fun as it used to be.

But, fear not, I figured out a way where it'll be more fun for me and I think will be equally, if not more enjoyable to listen to for you.

Now that I've pretty much gone entirely through my cd collection and have picked out many hundreds of tracks for future shows, I think what I'm going to do is just bring a mess of cd's into the studio with me each week and play stuff a bit more spontaneously.

Here are some changes you might see:

- I might just focus on one or two artists during a show

- I may decide to play an entire album from time to time

- I may decide to do a show consisting only of obscure psych as opposed to prog, or vice-versa

- I might bring in entirely different genres than what I usually play

- I might play stuff that's a little less accessible if I feel like it and not worry about what people will think

- I may or may not play a Rush song every week, then again I may play several wink.gif

- I may or may not come into chat during the show, and I may, if there, talk a bit less than usual

- I may play really well known songs sometimes

- Anything goes

Basically it's gonna be more eclectic, more spontaenous, less rigidly structured and more fun. I'll still take requests, but this will give me a bit more freedom to just play what I'm in the mood to play without having to worry so much about getting it all perfect and without the endless planning. Somehow in the last several months I've "gotten a life" and have less time than I used to.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the revamped Interdimensional Vortex - same bat time, same bat channel. For those who haven't yet checked out my show - please do. It's on Thursdays from 5-7 PM PST (8-10 PM EST, 1-3 AM UK) at www.kskq.org .

Peace & Love,

Gary

I can solve all your problems, at least for one week.

Just take one of your shows dedicated to Rush... and play the Mega Rush Medley at 1:18:18. 25 songs from 1974 - 1982 all mixed together to flow from one to the next.

Whadaya say? smile.gif laugh.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 9 2007, 06:01 PM)

Just take one of your shows dedicated to Rush... and play the Mega Rush Medley at 1:18:18. 25 songs from 1974 - 1982 all mixed together to flow from one to the next.

Whadaya say? smile.gif laugh.gif

Um.... maybe??? unsure.gif

Where does one get a copy of the Rush Pags Mix? confused13.gif

- I may decide to do a show consisting only of obscure psych as opposed to prog, or vice-versa

YES!!!!!!!!!

DO IT! yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif yes.gif

-I may or may not come into chat during the show, and I may, if there, talk a bit less than usual

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL IF YOU DONT COME TO CHAT! common001.gif common001.gif

Goov your show rocks!.. seriously.. the show last week was a little weak i agree... but i'm sure this week show will be great, just keep up with the obscure prog/psych trink39.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 10 2007, 09:32 AM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Jul 9 2007, 06:01 PM)

Just take one of your shows dedicated to Rush... and play the Mega Rush Medley at 1:18:18.  25 songs from 1974 - 1982 all mixed together to flow from one to the next.

Whadaya say?  smile.gif laugh.gif

Um.... maybe??? unsure.gif

Where does one get a copy of the Rush Pags Mix? confused13.gif

I'll have my people contact your people. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Larks @ Jul 10 2007, 07:01 AM)
-I may or may not come into chat during the show, and I may, if there, talk a bit less than usual

I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL IF YOU DONT COME TO CHAT! common001.gif  common001.gif

I'll probably be showing up in chat for the most part. I just wanted to give myself the freedom to NOT show up if I felt like just grooving to the music.

Goob your show rocks!.. seriously.. the show last week was a little weak i agree... but i'm sure this week show will be great, just keep up with the obscure prog/psych  trink39.gif

See that's the thing. To me the show's music was the same quality as it is each week, but for some reason it wasn't getting as favorable a response as usual. That's why I'm thinking I need to play music that I enjoy in the way I feel like playing it. That way I'm having more fun, and hopefully it'll translate into the listening experience. If I worry too much if a particular person or everyone will like or not like any given song or group of songs, I drive myself nuts. Some prefer psych, some prefer prog, some want to hear songs they've never heard, some want to hear more familiar songs and etc. It's too hard to try and please everyone.

Give a try listening (if so inclined) to the archived version of last week's show. You might enjoy it more. I tend to find chat can be engaging enough that it can be more difficult to pay attention to the music sometimes. Then again, you might just not have liked that batch of songs as much.

Anyway, onwards and upwards! yes.gif 1287.gif

QUOTE (steelcaressed @ Jul 10 2007, 06:20 PM)
All the new ideas are great Goobs. But you haven't answered the question burning in every TRF member's mind:

Will you be wearing your kilt?

cool.gif

I'll be dressed like these fellas. yes.gif

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f72/rushgoober5/rushgoober6/panta.jpg

tongue.gif

Bummin!!! I can't make the 5-7EST time. If I'm lucky, maybe the tail end. Boy, for me this sux.

eh.gif

FYI, I'm probably gonna take a break from doing the show for 2-3 weeks or so.

Part of it is to light a fire under the butts of the people at the station to get the technology working well. It's just really frustrating taking time to put together shows and picking out music and promoting the show only to have people often have bad connections, connections that go in and out or not be able to connect at all.

Besides that, I've been getting fewer people listening and often less than a wildly enthusiastic response. Don't get me wrong, I truly appreciate all the people who've been listening regularly and semi-regularly, but without the show being on the airwaves locally yet, I have to do all the promotion myself, and it's a lot of work with not a lot of return. That's another thing I hope my absence spurs the station into action on getting us locally on the air.

As it stands now, the station really reflects what Ashland, Oregon is all about, but being only internet based, the station might as well be located anywhere. They're on the verge of being able to transmit locally, even if somewhat outside of the FCC temporarily.

I don't want it to seem I have undue influence on the station, but I probably get more regular listeners than anyone else's weekly show, and they've lost other people before, so if they think they're potentially losing their best people, it again might get them to act more quickly. I have plans to do some big theme shows (like my forever promised 1966-1972 non-album Pink Floyd 2-part show), but I just can't do the planning and promoting of those kinds of shows only to have 100 people tune in and have lousy sounding connections that keep dropping off. It'd be too heartbreaking.

I hope I don't sound like I'm being whiny and diva like, but it's a lot of effort to do these shows and make it sound professional, and I need at least some minimum requirements to make it worthwhile. I just haven't been happy doing it the last couple of weeks and really that's what it comes down to in the end. I have tons and tons of music I still very much want to play, but I have to enjoy doing it.

I'll keep people posted on the progress. I'm sure I'll miss doing it temporarily tremendously, but I think I have to take a break for the moment...

Whatever makes you happy Goobs will certainly make us happy. As of late, the connection for the show did seem shoddy and many of times and it would be a pain to listen in on the show. Thankfully you have archived many of your shows. I think I would speak for everyone here that if the show was discontinued, we would all be heartbroken. Good thing its only a temporary break.

I just wanted to say thanks Goob for everything, the show has meant alot to me(even though I haven't been in the chatroom for awhile). Hopefully you come out on top and better than ever after your break.

Oh and I bought "Days of Future Passed" and "On The Threshold of a Dream" yesterday at a used CD store, and cannot wait to listen to them!

I agree Lerxst... Goob, we'll still be here when you're ready to return to doing the show, maybe it's a good thing that you need a temporary break, and the connection was brutal on Thursday, but that was not your fault.

Take a break Goob, you may need it. You have made me very happy with all of your shows, your commentary and the music you play, really makes Thursday nights for me. So trink39.gif to you, and thanks for the great music dude.

smile.gif

you rock goob. seriously, because of you i know many prog/psych bands i didn't know before.

take a break, enjoy quality time with your evil midgets in the basement and come back soon!

wub.gif

Thanks peeps, I'm feelin' the love. yes.gif wink.gif

It will only be a temporary break - I have TONS of music I want to play, but I just need the station to make some changes so I can enjoy it again.

In the meantime, check out the first post of this thread - tons of archived shows!

Peace & Love,

The Gooberator

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Jul 14 2007, 01:15 PM)
Now that you have a fan base and credibility, why not try to get hired for real at a more established station? Just a suggestion.

Thanks man, I've thought about it. I might check to see what's around. I still wouldn't want to do more than a 2 or 3 hour gig once a week, but it's possible. Thanks for the suggestion. trink39.gif

Goob. Number 1, your show is great. You are really talented and I love that music that you play. If you decide to go with sides of albums, I'm really cool with that. We use to have a station called the ZEW that played album rock only. Anyway, keep going on with your show. It rocks!!

Went loooking to listen on Thursday but I didn't know

about all of this. I was on vacation and when I did try

to listen the following week I had a few issues picking

up the show.

I look foward to hearing the show with all the changes

you have taking place and I really like that idea that

Pags had. It is an AMAZING piece of ART!!! yes.gif

Good Luck and looking foward to hearing you again soon!!!

wub.gif

Archived