So two Radio Stations are giving away tickets to..

LeaveMyThingAlone

Here's what I'd want:

- Short US tour in Spring 2010

- Followup new studio album

- More extensive world tour/more US dates through late 2010 and early 2011

I agree with you that I'd rather have a new album than an EP, but if an EP is what they're planning, bring it on! yes.gif I'd rather have 20 minutes of new Rush music than no new music at all.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 18 2009, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 18 2009, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 17 2009, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 17 2009, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 16 2009, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 16 2009, 08:06 PM)
this is very disturbing news that lends extra credence to the EP vs. full album theory.  if they only release an EP after 3 full years, that would be monumentally disappointing...

i seriously hope i'm wrong and that they have a full album in the works, one that is not hurried through, but carefully considered.

Talk about Being a "glass half empty" guy!

Look at the positives! It's looking more and more like we're getting a 2010 tour and probably "some" new music....it's better than nothing...which could have been a real possibility!

it's ok, i wasn't expecting my point of view to be a popular one. as far as i'm concerned, they've toured to death in the past several years. i've seen them. enough with touring, i want some new studio material. if there's a new studio album AND a tour, that's fine, as long as we get a full album. is it wrong to sincerely want new studio material from my favorite band on a semi-regular basis?

sorry, i want what i want and i'm not going to pretend that i don't (not like anyone else is doing that, mind you). i'm just not one of those "i'll be deeply grateful for any table scraps rush decide to throw our way" kind of people. sure a 20-minute EP (much more likely than a 40-minute one as someone suggested above) is better than nothing, but after 3 years of waiting, it would be pretty meager. it would definitely cement the message that it's all about money these days.

i sincerely do hope i'm wrong and we get a full album of new material.

They've "toured to death in the past several years"?! In the last 10 years they've toured in '02, '04, '07, and '08. I'd hardly count that as "touring to death".

Here's a thought goobs, would you rather have an EP and a tour after 3 years or a full album after 5? Of course it doesn't really matter since we have no control over anything. But still, what it truly means is that Rush is definitely still kickin' and ready to do SOMETHING. And THAT alone is worth A LOT. 2.gif

Sorry, I'm still at glass half-empty about all this. I just refuse to get excited for them throwing us a bone of an EP after 3 years of no studio album, and that after 5 years since the previous one, and that after 6 years since the previous one. Oh yeah, there was an EP of cover tunes in there somewhere that almost no one has listened to more than ten times. Honestly, I don't care about tours - I want new material.

And believe me, I'm fully aware of the band not caring what we want but doing what they want. That's of course part of what makes them great.

From my perspective, though, in the last 22 years we've had 1 excellent album (Counterparts), 1 very good album (Snakes & Arrows) and that's it. It's hard to get excited over a fraction of what my favorite band once was. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but not much better. I can only imagine how much great music we could have had since 1987 if they were more into making albums.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and we get another album, and I hope it's at least as good as S&A. That would make up for a lot...

I see your points...especially since (for me) seeing a Rush gig is harder than 'hard as hell' given my geographic disability. And actually in another thread I voted for New Album over Another Tour given the choice. But when I think more about it, the more I understand that their career was actually built on heavy touring. What do you think about that?

It's basic math.

Their career WAS built on heavy touring, but they also managed to put out new studio albums on a regular basis. Starting in 1974:

First 10 years - 9 albums (every year)

Next 10 years - 6 albums (every 1 1/2 years)

Next 16 years - 3 albums (every 5 years)

I am glad they didn't just disappear, but I also can't help but miss what once was. I also can't help but wonder how much great music there could have been. Maybe if those 3 albums in the last 16 years were really incredible, I'd be happier, but outside of S&A, that just hasn't been the case, and even S&A was only 1/2 to 2/3rds of a great album.

As far as I'm concerned, they haven't even put out a full album's worth of great music in the last 16 years, but they have managed to do 4 tours in the last 8 years.

It just doesn't seem like enough studio material, and the thought of an EP now in light of all this just seems like an excuse for another tour. Big Money goes around the world...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 18 2009, 07:10 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 18 2009, 02:00 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 18 2009, 04:58 AM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 17 2009, 12:40 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 17 2009, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Dec 16 2009, 06:26 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 16 2009, 08:06 PM)
this is very disturbing news that lends extra credence to the EP vs. full album theory.  if they only release an EP after 3 full years, that would be monumentally disappointing...

i seriously hope i'm wrong and that they have a full album in the works, one that is not hurried through, but carefully considered.

Talk about Being a "glass half empty" guy!

Look at the positives! It's looking more and more like we're getting a 2010 tour and probably "some" new music....it's better than nothing...which could have been a real possibility!

it's ok, i wasn't expecting my point of view to be a popular one. as far as i'm concerned, they've toured to death in the past several years. i've seen them. enough with touring, i want some new studio material. if there's a new studio album AND a tour, that's fine, as long as we get a full album. is it wrong to sincerely want new studio material from my favorite band on a semi-regular basis?

sorry, i want what i want and i'm not going to pretend that i don't (not like anyone else is doing that, mind you). i'm just not one of those "i'll be deeply grateful for any table scraps rush decide to throw our way" kind of people. sure a 20-minute EP (much more likely than a 40-minute one as someone suggested above) is better than nothing, but after 3 years of waiting, it would be pretty meager. it would definitely cement the message that it's all about money these days.

i sincerely do hope i'm wrong and we get a full album of new material.

They've "toured to death in the past several years"?! In the last 10 years they've toured in '02, '04, '07, and '08. I'd hardly count that as "touring to death".

Here's a thought goobs, would you rather have an EP and a tour after 3 years or a full album after 5? Of course it doesn't really matter since we have no control over anything. But still, what it truly means is that Rush is definitely still kickin' and ready to do SOMETHING. And THAT alone is worth A LOT. 2.gif

Sorry, I'm still at glass half-empty about all this. I just refuse to get excited for them throwing us a bone of an EP after 3 years of no studio album, and that after 5 years since the previous one, and that after 6 years since the previous one. Oh yeah, there was an EP of cover tunes in there somewhere that almost no one has listened to more than ten times. Honestly, I don't care about tours - I want new material.

And believe me, I'm fully aware of the band not caring what we want but doing what they want. That's of course part of what makes them great.

From my perspective, though, in the last 22 years we've had 1 excellent album (Counterparts), 1 very good album (Snakes & Arrows) and that's it. It's hard to get excited over a fraction of what my favorite band once was. Yeah, it's better than nothing, but not much better. I can only imagine how much great music we could have had since 1987 if they were more into making albums.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and we get another album, and I hope it's at least as good as S&A. That would make up for a lot...

I see your points...especially since (for me) seeing a Rush gig is harder than 'hard as hell' given my geographic disability. And actually in another thread I voted for New Album over Another Tour given the choice. But when I think more about it, the more I understand that their career was actually built on heavy touring. What do you think about that?

It's basic math.

Their career WAS built on heavy touring, but they also managed to put out new studio albums on a regular basis. Starting in 1974:

First 10 years - 9 albums (every year)

Next 10 years - 6 albums (every 1 1/2 years)

Next 16 years - 3 albums (every 5 years)

I am glad they didn't just disappear, but I also can't help but miss what once was. I also can't help but wonder how much great music there could have been. Maybe if those 3 albums in the last 16 years were really incredible, I'd be happier, but outside of S&A, that just hasn't been the case, and even S&A was only 1/2 to 2/3rds of a great album.

As far as I'm concerned, they haven't even put out a full album's worth of great music in the last 16 years, but they have managed to do 4 tours in the last 8 years.

It just doesn't seem like enough studio material, and the thought of an EP now in light of all this just seems like an excuse for another tour. Big Money goes around the world...

I don't think it's as easy as basic math. But yeah, the PeW/MP perfect album days seem long gone. And yeah Snakes & Arrows, although 'good' imho, is nowhere near reaching the excellence of some of their past releases. However, I think you just have to accept the fact that they always have done it their way...what works best for them.

Missing the past is fine. BUT I think wondering about how much great music there could have been is a waste of time because releasing more and more music could've easily changed many things about 2.gif : attitude, energy, style, overall satisfaction, etc.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 18 2009, 03:30 AM)
I don't think it's as easy as basic math. But yeah, the PeW/MP perfect album days seem long gone. And yeah Snakes & Arrows, although 'good' imho, is nowhere near reaching the excellence of some of their past releases. However, I think you just have to accept the fact that they always have done it their way...what works best for them. 

Missing the past is fine.  BUT I think wondering about how much great music there could have been is a waste of time because releasing more and more music could've easily changed many things about  2.gif : attitude, energy, style, overall satisfaction, etc.

They have always done it their way. From 1974-1987 I loved almost everything of what they did their way. Since then, it's been VERY hit and miss, and much more miss than hit. I guess if I never loved the way they did things, I wouldn't miss it so much.

And I know wondering about what could have been is a waste of time, but they've put out 2 albums I've really enjoyed in 22 years. Prior to that they put out 12 albums I really enjoyed in 14 years. That's some basic math that's hard for me to ignore.

If Snakes & Arrows wasn't any good, I would probably just have let it go and thought of them as a band I once loved, but they showed me they still CAN make great music - that just makes it harder to wait so long and really makes me wonder what we could have had if they really cared about making new music regularly like they used to.

So Rush have 'toured to death' in the last several years? In Europe we had to wait from 1992 until 2004 then 2007. Strange definition of toured to death.

I don't think I am alone on this side of the Atlantic in wanting another tour because lets face it there probably won't be many more. More new music would be fantastic but, because we don't get the chance to see them live as much as you lucky people in North America, I would prefer to see them on the road.

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Dec 18 2009, 10:40 AM)
So Rush have 'toured to death' in the last several years? In Europe we had to wait from 1992 until 2004 then 2007. Strange definition of toured to death.

There will always be people who've never seen them live, or seen them only once or twice, or who live in areas they rarely get to. Does that mean they should abandon studio albums and just go on an endless tour like so many classic rock bands do? If that's the way it is, that's fine. I just want more from them. It doesn't mean I'll get it, but I still want studio albums...

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Dec 18 2009, 12:40 PM)

I'm sure people on the continents of Australia and South America would call YOU fortunate as well.

I wouldn't mind if they never made new material again and just went on tour every couple years. In all honesty apart from maybe 2 or 3 songs, I'm not much of a fan of anything they've done since 1982 lol.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 18 2009, 01:41 PM)

I'm sure people on the continents of Australia and South America would call YOU fortunate as well.

Exactly! I wonder what they would prefer.

QUOTE (whoisrush @ Dec 18 2009, 11:57 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 18 2009, 01:41 PM)

Exactly! I wonder what they would prefer.

Well that's just it, it doesn't seem to matter to Rush what fans prefer - they just do whatever they want. That's the way it should be of course, but then again they can't expect everyone's going to agree with their choices either.

I'm for whatever new music we can get out of them - EP length or not - and a tour. I want my child to get at least one more chance to see them before they hang it up and it sounds like we'll have another chance next year!

Sure, most of us agree the Atlantic era hasn't been their most stellar overall. But technical problems aside, "Vapor Trails" was a great work for them to return with and let's remember the gap between "Test for Echo" and VT was indeed for larger reasons than them simply not wanting to work. Geddy and Alex had to wait patiently for Neil to come around and get back in the saddle.

Then, they toured in 2004, took a break and got back to work. Sure, the recording production in this decade hasn't been what it was even in the 90s, but we've gotten two pretty decent albums out of them in the last seven years.

At this point, I think we should be grateful we're getting anything - album, tour, etc. - at all.

Michael Mosbach is Neil's assistant, riding partner, and band security chief.

He's also the guy who brought drumsticks to the fans during the last tour.

More of him here:

http://rushcon.totem-media.com/

I frequently listen to Chicago's WLUP 97.9 FM, and I heard the Working Men promo, but didn't hear anything about the ticket give-a-way. They'll usually promote stuff like this during peak listening hours. I checked their website and Facebook pages, and didn't see anything there. I'll continue to listen (as I am on a 2 week vacation) and I'll post (or record) what I hear.

Heck, I'll even call! (EDIT: Just called, lines are very busy and cannot make connection. Emailing next for confirmation.)

However, I can, without a doubt, say with absolute certainty, that the LOOP is very, VERY genuine with their promos. I've NEVER heard any BS contests on their station - EVER! They do what they say! So, any claim by them about this contest could be 100% true, but I have not actually heard it myself. I'll listen (listening now!) and post any "news".

BTW, the LOOP just played RUSH 2112's ToS. They are VERY Rush friendly. Been playing lots of deep-cuts lately. Just heard Bastile Day, and Passage to Bangkok during their 2 for Tuesday program.

More on this later.

Just got ahold of the station, WLUP 97.9 FM (www.wlup.com), Chicago.

I spoke with evening host, Eddie Webb.

I asked about the promo and ticket give-a-way. There is NO actual "ticket" contest.

What I did CONFIRM is that the WM disc is a promo give-a-way. You need to be the 15th caller, or one of the lucky texters (could be any number, usually around the 100s) to win. This can happen at any time. Just need to listen to find out when to call or text. You never know when it'll happen.

Or if it will happen again. Sometimes these contests go fast!

I'll keep listening, just in case.

EDIT: I accidently gave some wrong info. You are ENTERED into a drawing for tickets, when they become available, if you win the WM disc. Sorry for the confusion. - Kozmo

QUOTE (Kozmo4Rush @ Dec 18 2009, 03:31 PM)
Michael Mosbach is Neil's assistant, riding partner, and band security chief.

He's also the guy who brought drumsticks to the fans during the last tour.

More of him here:

http://rushcon.totem-media.com/

I frequently listen to Chicago's WLUP 97.9 FM, and I heard the Working Men promo, but didn't hear anything about the ticket give-a-way. They'll usually promote stuff like this during peak listening hours. I checked their website and Facebook pages, and didn't see anything there. I'll continue to listen (as I am on a 2 week vacation) and I'll post (or record) what I hear.

Heck, I'll even call! (EDIT: Just called, lines are very busy and cannot make connection. Emailing next for confirmation.)

However, I can, without a doubt, say with absolute certainty, that the LOOP is very, VERY genuine with their promos. I've NEVER heard any BS contests on their station - EVER! They do what they say! So, any claim by them about this contest could be 100% true, but I have not actually heard it myself. I'll listen (listening now!) and post any "news".

BTW, the LOOP just played RUSH 2112's ToS. They are VERY Rush friendly. Been playing lots of deep-cuts lately. Just heard Bastile Day, and Passage to Bangkok during their 2 for Tuesday program.

More on this later.

Whenever I'm back visiting family in Chicago I always listen to the WLUP. When we get Rush on the radio here, which is very infrequent, it's limelight, tom sawyer, or freewill. sad.gif

At the risk of stating the obvious, the guys can't possibly write, record, mix and release a full album by spring, if they're not even in the studio yet.

That said, the current rumors lead to a couple of possibilities

1.) Going the " EP " route?

2.) They have enough material already written for a full album, and plan to simply record it and release it in time for the tour?

3.) They're going into the studio to begin work on an album, will take a break over the summer for a tour, and back into the studio after the tour is over to finish the album.

Option 3 is highly unlikely..... but I suppose we'll find out soon enough.....

I'm more interested in new material than touring but I realize that touring is where the cash is made nowadays. And I'd be excited about a tour if the setlist was as fresh as the 1st half of the S&A tour. Not sure how many more times I need to see/hear Tom Sawyer or TSOR frankly but I don't expect many rarities if they do tour (but it would be nice).

Again, new material please...preferably a new instrumental (less chances for Neil to complain about stuff)...that wouldn't suck at all.

Archived