My internet radio show

Hi everybody.

I have a weekly internet radio show on www.deepnuggets.com called The Playground of Sound. I've been doing it since 2013.

It usually airs on Sunday afternoons at 2 PM Pacific. I'm "on vacation" from it at the moment but I wanted to start a new thread about it, so that when I DO resume it, there's a place to let anyone who is interested know the details.

It's an eclectic show, no real genre. I deliberately wanted to keep it open format, rather than "all prog" or "all jazz" or "all classic rock" or whatever. The concept behind it is to recapture the spirit of how free form FM radio used to be (back in the early 1970s), but updated, so that new music gets played too. Sure, there's a healthy dose of classic artists, but a lot of great new music is out there too.

Anyway.. I'll post in this thread again when I resume, hopefully at a new time slot, and when it resumes I hope you'll check it out.

Thanks!

Matt

• Like 11

Many moons ago Rushgoober had a radio show, and every Thursday a dozen folks or more would join the TRF chat here. He'd interact with the chat while everyone listened.

Anyway, just something to consider. It was a lot of fun, and you probably play better music than he did too :P

• Like 4

I know someone who created a facebook group and uses that to promote their weekly prog show. They interact with the listeners and give info about the artists being played in real time using the facebook feed. Another outlet/avenue to consider.

His show has grown quite a bit. He tends to find a lot of new talent browsing Bandcamp and reaches out to members of the bands he features, this draws them into the fold as well as any fans they have.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 2

Thanks all! I'm looking forward to getting back into it. This summer has been extremely busy, so I've had to take the hiatus.

I remember Goober well, actually... I used to listen to his show and participate in the chats. If I can split my attention several ways, I'll do a chatroom here during the show! :) Haven't tried that before.

I do have a Facebook page for those of you who have accounts there.

Look for The Playground Of Sound and I'll add you :)

Most of the playlists are archived there, so you can get a feel of the format!

Edited by Mystic Slipperman

Well, folks, I'll be going on the air tonight, starting at 6 PM Pacific time! I'm filling in for one of our other DJs.

Does that mean you'll be playing different things than what you normally would?

Well, folks, I'll be going on the air tonight, starting at 6 PM Pacific time! I'm filling in for one of our other DJs.

No... I'll likely just do my thing. :) That's a valid question though. I have done that in the past (play stuff that's more in line with the person for whom I'm subbing) but at this point, we all just do what we do when we're on the air.

• Like 1

No... I'll likely just do my thing. :) That's a valid question though. I have done that in the past (play stuff that's more in line with the person for whom I'm subbing) but at this point, we all just do what we do when we're on the air.

Very cool...yeah, I used to do that, too. (That was before the internet radio era, though).

I don't think the FCC was paying too much attention to us, so :huh:

;)

• Like 1

Blue J - were you on college radio? :)

Yes- but only briefly. That was when I was attending Otterbein College (small private school, a little bit north of Columbus, Ohio). I didn't go there for very long before I transferred out, because it was really expensive.

Before that, it was in high school. We had our own FM station on campus. I started broadcasting seriously when I was a sophomore, and then by my senior year, I was the music director.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Do you talk between songs?

I like that when the DJ is talking about the music they are broadcasting.

If listening on an Internet radio, will I know who is

playing ?

It's a pet hate of mine when a station does not indicate what's playing.

• Like 1

Do you talk between songs?

I like that when the DJ is talking about the music they are broadcasting.

If listening on an Internet radio, will I know who is

playing ?

It's a pet hate of mine when a station does not indicate what's playing.

Yes, I'll talk a bit about the songs after playing a set -- back-announce the sets, maybe some trivia, or a personal anecdote, stuff like that.

And yeah, the player does read what is playing as well.

• Like 1

Yes- but only briefly. That was when I was attending Otterbein College (small private school, a little bit north of Columbus, Ohio). I didn't go there for very long before I transferred out, because it was really expensive.

Before that, it was in high school. We had our own FM station on campus. I started broadcasting seriously when I was a sophomore, and then by my senior year, I was the music director.

Wow! That must have been a great set of experiences!

• Like 1

Wow! That must have been a great set of experiences!

Yeah, it really was.

I recently (within the past year or two) found an analog cassette of one of my old broadcasts, from 1990. I was seventeen years old, at the time. And yes, I still have a functioning cassette deck, haha...so I put it on and listened to what I sounded like, more than half my life ago. It was interesting.

• Like 2

I just started loading the Tune-In app on my phone. I feel like such a tech-y geek to say that that is probably the easiest way for me to catch your show, at that hour. But it is!
  • Like 1

The show's timing for me is bad (9PM EST). Hopefully I can catch one someday.

Do you archive the broadcasts for listening later?

Edited by stoopid