Frank Zappa's Freak Out turns 50.

Cygnus 2112

My main problem with a lot of Zappa's music is that while I admire some of it I have a hard time getting through most of it. Freak Out! is a prime example of my feelings. I think I listened to it from beginning to end one time.

Since Gail Zappa died recently the four kids Dweezil, Moon, Ahmet and Diva are at war over who deserves the bigger share and control of Frank's money and music.

Actually its not about control at all. Its about money. Its about fairness. Its about a long running intra-family squabble.

Its about time they put this all behind them. A similar thing happened to my family after my Grandmother died. Money brings out the worst in people.

Since Gail Zappa died recently the four kids Dweezil, Moon, Ahmet and Diva are at war over who deserves the bigger share and control of Frank's money and music.

Actually its not about control at all. Its about money. Its about fairness. Its about a long running intra-family squabble.

Its about time they put this all behind them. A similar thing happened to my family after my Grandmother died. Money brings out the worst in people.

No will?

My main problem with a lot of Zappa's music is that while I admire some of it I have a hard time getting through most of it. Freak Out! is a prime example of my feelings. I think I listened to it from beginning to end one time.

You should try Make A Jazz Noise Here, a live album from the 87 tour released in 91. "When Yuppies Go To Hell" and "Star Wars Won't Work" are tiresome noise (a lot of meandering by Frank on the synclavier and weird noises) the rest is freaking brilliant; mainly instrumentals.

No will?

In the case of the Zappas there was a will but Dweezil and Moon didn't like it. They only got 20% each and the other two got 30%.

• Like 1