Brazil 2016: Olympiad XXXI

goose

Got tickets for two female volleyball games: Italy vs Puerto Rico and USA vs China.

indoor or beach?

Indoor.

The beach volleyball arena is across the road from where we live, so I thought about experiencing another venue. We´ve seen beach volleyball games in the same place, but with a smaller arena.

wow, living across the street from one of the most famous beaches in the world!

Is there a statue of Barry Manilow anywhere? :)

A question for Rod In Rio.......youve said you got some tickets to a couple events, I gather you had to pay for them. If so the money you paid for those tickets where or to whom does that money goes to?
  • Like 1

Aaaaaaaaand...a ticket to the rugby final just fell on my lap!

:notworthy: :notworthy:

Congrat's, Rod! You'll post pics of all this...?

I´ll do my best...I rarely carry a camera around these days, so it´ll be the usual crappy phone photos.

A question for Rod In Rio.......youve said you got some tickets to a couple events, I gather you had to pay for them. If so the money you paid for those tickets where or to whom does that money goes to?

I work in an office behind a shopping mall, where there´s a temporary box office for the games. Is that what you´re asking?

I work in an office behind a shopping mall, where there´s a temporary box office for the games. Is that what you´re asking?

Kind of a weird question.

I'm trying to find out from all the events from the various sports that people buy tickets. That money that they pay for those tickets where does that money go?....to the IOC or to the Brazilian government, etc. If it's the Brazilian government I'd like to see every event stadium arena filled.

It goes to the IOC.

Crap, that sucks that money then probably pays for their private jets and who knows what else.

Say did anybody catch the underwater footage of the USA vs ESP polo match? Their underwater play is brutal' lots of pulling, kicking and tugging to the point where one player's boob fell out.
  • Like 2

Say did anybody catch the underwater footage of the USA vs ESP polo match? Their underwater play is brutal' lots of pulling, kicking and tugging to the point where one player's boob fell out.

I saw a few pics...MANY players´ boobs fell out!!!

I didn't know that kind of thing happens often.....she did tuck it back in without missing a beat.

I'd love to see some table tennis events and badminton. The USA men's volleyball team is struggling in their medal hopes.

I didn't know that kind of thing happens often.....she did tuck it back in without missing a beat.

everyone knows it happens, NBC is banking on it. Why else have the camera there? Oops... live TV, sorry!
  • Like 1

everyone knows it happens, NBC is banking on it. Why else have the camera there? Oops... live TV, sorry!

I thought it was more about showing how physical the water polo play is under water.

I thought it was more about showing how physical the water polo play is under water.

that's what they want you to think!!

It goes to the IOC.

All of it? I didn't know that, I thought the host city gets a cut as tourism will not make up for all the money spent to host.

Here's an intersting breakdown of Olympic costs and revenues over the decades...

http://kfor.com/2016...y-in-10-charts/

And here is a breakdown from the Olympics official site... https://www.olympic....es-distribution

This says 10% goes to the IOC, while the remaining is divided among the National OC and other related organizations.

The benefit to the host nation is through tourism and being in the national spotlight. Some nations seem to do this well (China, Canada) while others are less successful.

Edited by goose

Goose, didn't you say you had a friend who was going to come over? I'm curious to know what he thinks of it so far.

I haven't heard from him. I'll see him after the games when he gets home and I'll give a full report.

Actually...I need to check facebook for updates by another friend who's down there...

Got tickets for the men´s water polo final. This time, we´ll leave Stella with grandma and only my wife and I will go.

Are those tickets terribly expensive?