Rush Ohio 1975 and/or Beneath Bteween Behind CD's

Journstyx

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on the recording quality of the above albums. I received 'Ohio 1975' (Good Shape Funke label) and to be honest it's pretty bad (lots of tape noise, hiss, distortion and static noise). Despite the product description stating 'superb audio quality'. You can check it on Amazon.co.uk.

I'm actually hoping that the 'Beneath, Between, Behind' on Laser Media is better sounding (and hopefully from a different source).

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

You bought a bootleg on Amazon. What else do you wan to know?

That was my thought, too.

Any unofficial live recording can be advertised as anything, which it might or might not be.

Caveat emptor, and all that.

Still...there are numerous, great sounding recordings out there that will get released because the rights to these recordings have become available. Some are qualified as bootleg, but some are also legit official releases (whether band, management approve and / or contribute is a different matter).

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you can shed some light on the recording quality of the above albums. I received 'Ohio 1975' (Good Shape Funke label) and to be honest it's pretty bad (lots of tape noise, hiss, distortion and static noise). Despite the product description stating 'superb audio quality'. You can check it on Amazon.co.uk.

I'm actually hoping that the 'Beneath, Between, Behind' on Laser Media is better sounding (and hopefully from a different source).

I look forward to hearing from you guys.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to TRF! I'm so sorry this happened to you. My family bought me the earlier disc from Cleveland, ABC 1974, and the sound is great except for the last 3 songs. It's one of my favorites! I don't have any hands on experience with "Ohio 1975" or "Beneath, Between, Behind" but I have a few suggestions that might help ??

1. Put a review of Ohio 1975 up on Amazon UK talking about the sound quality so that other people know it is not very good.

2. There is a site, Digital Rush Experience, that gives reviews of taped Rush concerts from 1974 through 2011. http://www.digitalrushexperience.com/database/dbhome.php

It is a great resource when wanting to find out about a certain show. For example, there are 5 different recordings and reviews listed for the Agora concert in 1975 (although, strangely, they are all dated 5/15/75 instead of 4/7/75.)

3. You might want to read some of the threads in the Different Stages forum here on TRF, there are a lot of different ways that people here share concert recordings ! :)

4. I have this show as a bootleg that gets good reviews, called "Bad Boys in Cleveland." There is a way I can send the sound and cover files to you through e-mail and then you can burn a cd if you want. Private message me here at TRF if you are interested.

• Like 1

Thanks Blueschica for your extensive feedback! I actually have the 'Bad Boys Of Cleveland'; just occurred to me. I dug it from my archive and does indeed sound a lot better than the 'Ohio 1975' disc. Goes to show that various companies use various sources to get these radioshows released. Some labels do a great job...others are just looking for a quick buck. I'll post my findings on Amazon UK.

Thanks for the tip on Digital Rush Experience...very helpful indeed. Once again thanks!.....now the only thing remaning is finding out whether 'Beneath, Between, Behind' is a (far) better sounding version!

• Like 2

I'll go out on a limb and say that ANY gray market show being sold is NOT going to be any better (and could be worse) than the recordings that fans have had for years.

So whatever show may come out in the future isn't going to be anything new that hasn't been curated in fan circles for years.

As for this particular recording, I've not come across a version that has not had a lot of tape hiss. Perhaps someone else has?

kids today, with their "Youtube" and "celluar camera phones"....why, back in MY day, you had to sneak in a walkman with a live record function and maybe get some hissy crappy warbley sounding audio with people around you talking to hear a song live that wasn't available legit! :codger: :eyeroll: Edited by jnoble
  • Like 1

kids today, with their "Youtube" and "celluar camera phones"....why, back in MY day, you had to sneak in a walkman with a live record function and maybe get some hissy crappy warbley sounding audio with people around you talking to hear a song live that wasn't available legit! :codger: :eyeroll:

That's nothing! :codger:

Back in MY day ;) , I had to sneak in my boss's microsette recorder he used to dictate agreements and other legal documents on. :D The little tapes were about an inch and half big. One time one of them got caught in the player. :( What a mess. :LOL:

• Like 1

kids today, with their "Youtube" and "celluar camera phones"....why, back in MY day, you had to sneak in a walkman with a live record function and maybe get some hissy crappy warbley sounding audio with people around you talking to hear a song live that wasn't available legit! :codger: :eyeroll:

That's nothing! :codger:

Back in MY day ;) , I had to sneak in my boss's microsette recorder he used to dictate agreements and other legal documents on. :D The little tapes were about an inch and half big. One time one of them got caught in the player. :( What a mess. :LOL:

:D :D :D That's really funny!

• Like 1

I still have one of those microcassette recorders! Still works, too. I even still have a couple of tapes for it, things I recorded more than 20 years ago. Not music, though; it was just dictation.

I still have one of those microcassette recorders! Still works, too. I even still have a couple of tapes for it, things I recorded more than 20 years ago. Not music, though; it was just dictation.

It just popped into my head who made them - Lanier.