it just dawned on me...

JBsDWdrums

Kiss is for kids, simple as that. They were everything until I grew out of them at 8 or 9 years old.

I still have all my brother's old albums up to Alive II. I could easily put one on and enjoy Rocket Ride or Dr Love. Rarely do though.

I loved 'I was made for loving you' when disco was big. (Hey I was just a child!). The song is still a time machine for me. (Even though I'm 45 and my email is discosucks@.. ;) )

they're kinda like the Monkees in that they're not really a band anyway.. they were a business based on comic characters and the Monkees were a tv show..

Wait!!! The Monkees?

I'm a MONKEY!!!! Yep! It's The Year Of The Monkey!! Chinese New Year baby! 1968.

No wonder why I'm so fukked up!

At least I'm mature enough not to throw my shit,

But I guess I can sling my verbal shit around a public forum very well like........

"Beneath The Planet Of The Apes"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

KISS was an interesting band for me. I liked some of their earlier stuff, as I prefer harder rock. They seemed to have sort of an old school vibe with some of their arrangements and vocal harmonies. And putting it in context of the times, the costumes and makeup was outrageous and it was a logical extension of hard driving rock to its absurd and delightful end. While I lost interest in them after 1980 or so, despite my well known enjoyment of prog rock and such (Rush, Yes, Genesis (old), and so forth) I was the biggest defender of KISS and other bands people who generally enjoyed the music I did liked to look down upon (KISS and AC/DC (the band I always say that does one ting, but does it very well) are the two biggest examples of this). Couple that with what is obviously a band which created "a happening" everywhere they went, loyalty, costumes in the crowd, fan clubs, etc., and one cannot ignore that which is KISS whether you like them or not. And KISS let Rush have a soundcheck.

One last thing - KISS of course was and is a money making machine. But rather than try to deny it, KISS admitted it wholeheartedly, and that was some of my appeal with the band, and Simmons specifically. What you saw was what you got, no BS. "Hey Gene you sure are marketing the hell out of your band!" "Goddamned right, why wouldn't I."

Long live KISS.

Edited by lerxt1990
  • Like 1

Kiss is for kids, simple as that. They were everything until I grew out of them at 8 or 9 years old.

I still have all my brother's old albums up to Alive II. I could easily put one on and enjoy Rocket Ride or Dr Love. Rarely do though.

I loved 'I was made for loving you' when disco was big. (Hey I was just a child!). The song is still a time machine for me. (Even though I'm 45 and my email is discosucks@.. ;) )

they're kinda like the Monkees in that they're not really a band anyway.. they were a business based on comic characters and the Monkees were a tv show..

"They're not really a band anyway." :facepalm:

What a lazy point to make. What does it even mean?

• Like 1

Kiss are a bar band with goofy makeup.

Thankfully, some of the guys you love were a little more open minded

“Peter Criss was as influential to me as John Bonham or Neil Peart. In 76-79, I was the biggest KISS fanatic on the planet! Like Ringo, he doesn’t get enough credit but he influenced millions of drummers around the world. His solos play like a song and I can still sing them note for note in my head. Loved his use of cowbell and he was one of the first to play a mammoth kit. One of the highlights of my career was playing with Peter last year. He’s one of the great unsung heroes of our age.” - Mike Portnoy

"In the mid-70s Rush opened for Kiss many, many times -- for months on end in 1974-75. They always treated us well, and even the guys on their crew became close personal friends for years after. Peter was an absolute sweetheart -- warm and sincere. I appreciated his strong and rhythmic drumming -- exuberant and loose-limbed -- and he was always fun and funny." – Neil Peart

I know Rush opened for Kiss, but think about it, they were brand new and could use all the help they could get in regards to exposure.

As for guys from Rush or Dream Theater being influenced by Kiss that's all fine and good but to me they just sound like a bar band with goofy makeup. But, opinions opinions.

"They're not really a band anyway." :facepalm:

What a lazy point to make. What does it even mean?

I think it just means that I don't take Kiss seriously because of how Gene and Paul behave. Any time someone gets so full of themselves that it goes to their head you need to start roasting them!! I know Kiss is a real band but I love putting them down for some reason lol