Triple article from the Feb 2016 issue of PROG now online

Jag2112

I'm sure he's getting annoyed about the "future of the band" questions, when he just wants to promote the live album... but I DO agree that the more these interviews go on, the more he's coming to terms that Neil is claiming he's done....

It almost seems from how some of the questions have been answered, that they go through this tour after tour as far as having a second leg, and I'd be willing to bet that this was the same situation, and by the end, they all thought "ok, let's do round two" and the call to whomever does the scheduling was around the corner, except Neil wasn't buying it, and said "No round two"....and it ended! I mean look at what went into the production that's all now stuck in some warehouse getting dusty (and someone's trying to figure out what to do with it)

I thought that that there'd be a second leg, like usual...then some big blow out at Massey Hall (at $5,000.00 per ticket donated to charity) as the last live gig, and recorded for posterity (not to mention them selling a copy of their Caress of Steel tour show from there, when they played the whole album)

I thought it was a shame as well that they put so much into the production of this tour and then to only do 30 some shows? They were really kicking it and to have Neil pull the plug had to really hurt. They probably hoped that he would change his mind as the tour got underway.

Maybe they didn't take Neil at his word. Do we really think that Neil, who hates touring, would change his mind about touring while going through the grind? Sounds real freaking naive.

They knew it before the tour started.

BOOM! You nailed it! Of course they knew.

Geddy is just as lazy as Neil, all he cares about now is emptying expensive wine bottles down his gullet! :cosmo:

• Like 1

I'm sure he's getting annoyed about the "future of the band" questions, when he just wants to promote the live album... but I DO agree that the more these interviews go on, the more he's coming to terms that Neil is claiming he's done....

It almost seems from how some of the questions have been answered, that they go through this tour after tour as far as having a second leg, and I'd be willing to bet that this was the same situation, and by the end, they all thought "ok, let's do round two" and the call to whomever does the scheduling was around the corner, except Neil wasn't buying it, and said "No round two"....and it ended! I mean look at what went into the production that's all now stuck in some warehouse getting dusty (and someone's trying to figure out what to do with it)

I thought that that there'd be a second leg, like usual...then some big blow out at Massey Hall (at $5,000.00 per ticket donated to charity) as the last live gig, and recorded for posterity (not to mention them selling a copy of their Caress of Steel tour show from there, when they played the whole album)

I thought it was a shame as well that they put so much into the production of this tour and then to only do 30 some shows? They were really kicking it and to have Neil pull the plug had to really hurt. They probably hoped that he would change his mind as the tour got underway.

Maybe they didn't take Neil at his word. Do we really think that Neil, who hates touring, would change his mind about touring while going through the grind? Sounds real freaking naive.

We don't know that for certain.

We do know before the tour that it was the last major tour. We know that. Health issues were a focus of pre-interviews. My gosh it seemed every article emphasized that aspect. "This will likely be our last major tour" was all over the place. Geddy also spoke about Neil not being the bad guy for not wanting to tour, or the one wanting to pull the plug on Rush. Geddy and Alex knew Neil was dicey, if not resolute, at that point.

Yes but Geddy has said that they had hoped to add at least Europe to their tour schedule and they were still waiting on dates for Cleveland which never worked out.

Eagle, these guys even knew it at the time

http://i341.photobucket.com/albums/o371/x1yyz/bub_zpsgwllokfy.jpg

• Like 1

Alex: Europe will be fantastic

Geddy: Can't wait to buy more wine

Neil: I just gotta make it through f***in' Garden Road and then I'm done

Rush at the LA Forum. The last gig

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/iRglJmoMU7Q/maxresdefault.jpg

Edited by Tombstone Mountain

If they are going to start a new project without Neil, I would prefer they not only find a new drummer, but bring in a new singer. Not because I dislike Ged's voice(I don't), but because It would make it different from Rush and I've always wondered what the band would sound like with possibly more accessible vocals.
  • Like 1

If they are going to start a new project without Neil, I would prefer they not only find a new drummer, but bring in a new singer. Not because I dislike Ged's voice(I don't), but because It would make it different from Rush and I've always wondered what the band would sound like with possibly more accessible vocals.

Bring on Rik Emmet and Gil Moore.

Supergroup formed. Let's call it "Maple Leaf Union"

Well.....Neil's "changed his mind" with respect to touring every other time, hasn't he?

I play in a band and I'm a parent, and there are two observations which I would be very surprised if they didn't apply here:

1. For a musician of Neil's caliber, music is in the blood. You don't just "retire". Which is why very few who have announced retirement have STAYED retired. (Bruford being a notable exception).

2. As kids get older, they need you around less and less. There's a big difference between pre-school and elementary school, and Neil's going to find that being away for 2 weeks at a time isn't a big deal to a 2nd or 3rd grade daughter. She's going to be MUCH more concerned with her own social circles -- which won't include him.

Just give it time.

yeah because he never changed his mind before. never. not in 2007, not in 2010. NEVER.

yeah because he never changed his mind before. never. not in 2007, not in 2010. NEVER.

Exactly....unless we perceived Neil's position incorrectly. Maybe for those tours he KNEW there was going to be a second leg, and just went along with it...and this tour he was like "one leg, good bye!"

But the way that the past tours HAVE gone, it seemed like there was the first set of dates, then a break, then the announcement of the second set, and we were happy about it.

I know I've said this before, and I'm sure I'll say it again... Anything that they did after Vapor Trails came online, to me is just GRAVY that we weren't going to get! I honestly thought that after his "tragedies" that the band was done, and we were just going to have to deal with it.... we got like 15 good years we weren't getting.

• Like 1

Someone on here said before R40 began that the ONLY reason they were touring at all was because Neil stipulated the number of shows that he'd do and that he wouldn't do one more show over the agreed upon number.

I, too, thought he'd change his mind mid-tour. But, he did not.

• Like 1

Someone on here said before R40 began that the ONLY reason they were touring at all was because Neil stipulated the number of shows that he'd do and that he wouldn't do one more show over the agreed upon number.

My understanding as well. He didn't pull the plug, he fulfilled his obligation
  • Like 1

Well, it's all in how you view it, isn't it? If Neil typically relents an agrees to tour extensions, one might be inclined to look at the fact that he held fast this time as "pulling the plug".

We'll never know for sure. Curious though, that Geddy at least seemed to be thinking that there was a possibility that the tour would be extended.

• Like 1

Well, it's all in how you view it, isn't it? If Neil typically relents an agrees to tour extensions, one might be inclined to look at the fact that he held fast this time as "pulling the plug".

We'll never know for sure. Curious though, that Geddy at least seemed to be thinking that there was a possibility that the tour would be extended.

Exactly. There are certainly a lot of negative people around here lately.

Perhaps they took him for granted? Maybe? Doesn't sound like something we want to admit. It's possible

Perhaps they took him for granted? Maybe? Doesn't sound like something we want to admit. It's possible

Could be a case of the Pratt who cried "Wolf" -- Neil has hated touring for decades. He has threatened to give up the road for about 20 years. Maybe they figured he was just blowing smoke like all the other times?

• Like 1

After the end of LA, I can't see how anyone would think that. (Watching it as it happened.)

But then when you are in the moment like Geddy was, I don't think he was pondering the band's future at that point.

I really felt bad for Geddy then. I still do in a way, but Geddy is an eternal optimist. There are worse things to be.

Even if Neil doesn't want to record a new album, I hope he would at least be talked into writing the lyrics.

Who needs his lyrics? Nothing special about them.

Tombstone writes better stuff.

Gulp!

Now, now, TM, no false modesty. You write from the heart.

So, the future of Rush is all settled then.

Earl will replace Neil on the drums.

Tombstone will be the lyricist.

And great fame will come to TRF for having saved Rush with two of its members!

:)

I play bass too...just sayin

Woah there back up buddy! Im sure youre good but Ged's doing just fine ;)

• Like 1

As much as Geddy's choosing his words and is obviously frustrated, he still totally understands Neil's decisions which is nice. I can only imagine how Neil's hands look and how he feels at the end of a tour at his age.
  • Like 1

Also, I thing there are a lot of interesting musicans that Ged and Al could play with. Not just drummers. For 40 years the guys have been (mostly) in isolation - I know there have been a number of guest spots.... and also their own solo albums. But still - think of the possibilities of a supergroups kind of album with guys from any combination of the follwing ... Yes, The Who, DT... Steven Wilson/PT.....

Wouldn't call it a supergroup but Dave Growl singing and Taylor Hawkins on drums could happen easily. Fan boys that they are, it could be called Gush.. or maybe more fitting,'Flush' haha

I wonder how Neil would feel if Ged and Al replaced Neil with a drummer that Neil respects like Copeland or Bruford and continued the R40 tour as 'Rush'. I know it would NEVER happen but Neil isn't an original member after all. Don't get me wrong, I'd hate to see it happen but I wonder if Neil would have any regrets about retiring. Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I always thought Ian Anderson would be a cool addition to Rush, awesome voice and the flute would be a cool addition here and there. Geddy could save his voice and do backup vocals and I'm sure Ian knows a decent drummer he could bring..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rwn0R1PFUwU

• Like 1