Haken! OS version 4.01

LittleRushmonkey

I should've gotten a physical copy, but I couldn't force myself to wait! I love this album more than words can express. Lapse and Earthrise are so inexplicably good. Not even to mention the Architect.... and the Leprous lead singer's vocals near the end! Ugh, I can't contain myself.

There's a few 'Leprous moments' on the album - a result of them touring together, I guess!

Edited by willowroolz
  • Like 1

The new Earthrise video is kinda lame (all their videos are varying degrees of meh), but it's been one of those tracks I've slowly fallen in love with. This album is almost on repeat in the car right now, WEEKS after I started listening to it. Very little has that staying power with me. I did go back and actively listened to prior material, but none of it catches quite like the songs on Affinity. Sometimes it takes bands a while to gel or their ideas mesh on one album better than on any other. I'm hopeful there will be future material I can enjoy equally. Looking back through their catalog I'm just not as enthusiastic.
  • Like 1

It's that bit in Earthrise where the band stops and it's just the piano for a few seconds - gets me every time :wub:

And the soaring chorus is awesome, they insert it at just the right time in the song.

Fwiw, my best friend is a huge Dream Theater fan and also didn't like Haken's prior output, but on my insistence he's given them one last shot with Affinity. His text to me yesterday... "Yeah. The Haken album is f***ing killer. Love the '80s influence... I'll definitely be looping it."
  • Like 1

The new Earthrise video is kinda lame (all their videos are varying degrees of meh), but it's been one of those tracks I've slowly fallen in love with. This album is almost on repeat in the car right now, WEEKS after I started listening to it. Very little has that staying power with me. I did go back and actively listened to prior material, but none of it catches quite like the songs on Affinity. Sometimes it takes bands a while to gel or their ideas mesh on one album better than on any other. I'm hopeful there will be future material I can enjoy equally. Looking back through their catalog I'm just not as enthusiastic.

I think that the video is intentionally cheesy tbh to keep with the 80s thing :) . And I only got the Affinity CD on Saturday and I've listened to it six times and the instrumental CD once :LOL:

• Like 3

I think that the video is intentionally cheesy tbh to keep with the 80s thing :) .

You know, I should have figured that much out on my own. *facepalm*

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

I think that the video is intentionally cheesy tbh to keep with the 80s thing :) .

You know, I should have figured that much out on my own. *facepalm*

I thought that the Initiate video was really good. The Endless Knot was decent for a lyric video but wasn't really that impressive.

I do like it how they can make fun of themselves and still make some pretty serious music. Quite like another band were know...

• Like 3

I'm new to this band and i've heard Affinity four or five times and I like it a lot. A few more listens and it could get into the love it territory for me. The 80s influence is fantastic and they pull all of it off perfectly.

Favorites so far are 1985, The Architect (Dream Theater influence very high here), Earthrise and Bound By Gravity.

• Like 2

Dream Theater releases several tracks with keyboard presets that are reminiscent of those that were popular in the 80's

"Dude, Jordan, try using a keyboard sound that doesn't sound like a cheap Casio effect, lol"

Haken releases a track with keyboard presets reminiscent of those that were popular in the 80's, they name the track 1985

"Whoa man, total throwback! Haken are genius! Nobody else is make use of these sounds these days..."

Edited by Mr. Not

Dream Theater releases several tracks with keyboard presets that are reminiscent of those that were popular in the 80's

"Dude, Jordan, try using a keyboard sound that doesn't sound like a cheap Casio effect, lol"

Haken releases a track with keyboard presets reminiscent of those that were popular in the 80's, they name the track 1985

"Whoa man, total throwback! Haken are genius! Nobody else is make use of these sounds these days..."

That's not at all what's happening on this album, or specifically that song (there's bits of '80s influence throughout, you have to listen for them). It's the integration of the '80s tidbits, fused with the more modern elements, as well as a good instinct for choosing the *right* '80s sound/influence that has this release firing on all cylinders. The choice for using the old school electronic drums in the middle of 1985, THAT's the sort of thing I mean. Earthrise uses a (lame) '80s patch (bell/chimes) very reminiscent of that era's pop synths, but it's not in the forefront and until yesterday I didn't even recognize that it was another one of those distinct '80s tidbits. It's how seamlessly they integrate these elements that has people excited to listen to this album. Frankly, I wouldn't want a completely '80s sounding album, we have those. It's call ed the albums that were released in the '80s. But it's interesting to hear a sprinkling of that era resurrected.

Even without any connection or mention of the '80s influence, Affinity is the new high water mark for progressive music of this style. If I could it again, I'd change my 9.5/10 to a 10/10 [i had to 'rush' my review because I was going on a 2 week vacation with no music/internet access]. There just hasn't been anything this good in prog metal in quite some time, IMHO.

Edited by stoopid
  • Like 1

Two days till the London gig :banana:

Wonder if they'll play Crystallised again.

I guess we'll find out tomorrow. I might have a look on Setlist to see what they played at Bristol or I might just wait and see.

• Like 1

Fantastic gig last night. Great setlist, almost all of my favourites off Affinity and The Mountain, the band were really on it considering it was only the second show of the tour. And . . .

CRYSTALLISED!!! :sundog:

• Like 3

Fantastic gig last night. Great setlist, almost all of my favourites off Affinity and The Mountain, the band were really on it considering it was only the second show of the tour. And . . .

CRYSTALLISED!!! :sundog:

I wish I could've gone. It sounds like it was a great gig. And I've heard about Ross's green tie :LOL:

• Like 1

Even without any connection or mention of the '80s influence, Affinity is the new high water mark for progressive music of this style. If I could it again, I'd change my 9.5/10 to a 10/10 [i had to 'rush' my review because I was going on a 2 week vacation with no music/internet access]. There just hasn't been anything this good in prog metal in quite some time, IMHO.

The Astonishing is better.

The Astonishing is better.

I guess it's a subjective thing because I have listened to Affinity more times than I can count but I couldn't manage to finish The Astonishing much less play it again.

• Like 2

It was his fluorescent green glasses that stole the show - very Trevor Horn :LOL:

Not to mention Diego's keytar.

• Like 1

That's not at all what's happening on this album, or specifically that song (there's bits of '80s influence throughout, you have to listen for them). It's the integration of the '80s tidbits, fused with the more modern elements, as well as a good instinct for choosing the *right* '80s sound/influence that has this release firing on all cylinders.

How the hell isn't that what Dream Theater has been doing for years upon years?

Listening to this album again, trying to determine that if it or Vektor's "Terminal Redux" is my third favorite album of the year... I'm really leaning towards Haken, really. If I'm being honest, I don't think this is their best album... But even a bad Haken album would be pretty damn good.

That's not at all what's happening on this album, or specifically that song (there's bits of '80s influence throughout, you have to listen for them). It's the integration of the '80s tidbits, fused with the more modern elements, as well as a good instinct for choosing the *right* '80s sound/influence that has this release firing on all cylinders.

How the hell isn't that what Dream Theater has been doing for years upon years?

I must have missed your reply - DT is more pure metal, especially in their early years (first half of their career). Until recently, a majority of DT's material was (prog) metal with other styles thrown in. Now it's a mixed bag with moments of metal.

Affinity is more (pure) prog, like say King Crimson, with elements of metal. My GF, who is a metalhead, heard the first couple tracks of Affinity and asked me to turn the "christmas music off", which is metalhead-speak for "turn that prog shit off". But she likes early DT, for comparison.

Going back to why Affinity is getting attention - I think Haken's execution is more, shall we say, "hip"? Their attitude resonates with prog listeners who may, like me, feel a bit meh about the way DT has trended lately (sans Portnoy especially). I don't think prog fans are denying whether someone has done this before, it's more a case of a band finally doing it *right*.

Edited by stoopid