Geddy Responds to Peart "Retirement" Article

Ron2112

BREAKING NEWS!! Since there are so many rumors flying around the world about the best band in the land Geddy and Alex have announced a very important statement! Thanks to all of the feedback it's true, Geddy and Alex are still going to record and tour! They have just hired Ian Paice to to solidify their new group. Out of respect to the newly retired Neil Peart, the new group will be called.................................. HUSH.

Just get Earl to replace Neil.

He doesn't have to learn forty years of music since he already knows it.

It would be a win/win for all involved, and we would have a star within our midst.

You are so sweet! I am flattered!

Could you imagine drummer tryouts for Rush?

There are so many better drummers in the world than me!

That being said I better hit my drum room!!

Time for some Hemispheres in your honor!! :)

So yes mission accomplished. Strangely enough I must have some "bad wood" or your motivation made me hit the skins harder! I broke a NP 747 on "Book 2" and then cracked the other one in half on "La Villa!" RUSH ON!

Well, gee, Earl, I'm sorry. :(

Right now Neil is squeezing oranges for juice, making some breakfast, and scratching his nuts.

You go Neil...scratch away!

He may still be farting and rolling around in bed its 8am in La-La Land.

After over 40 years of bashing the tubs i'm sure he's pretty well got the hang of switching on / off.. if i were he, today, the last thing i'd be thinking of whilst munching over breakfast is drums, RUSH and touring !

I don't see why Geddy and Alex can't just tour without Neil. They don't even need to replace him. Half of their show is already triggered, what's one more step on the pedal?

So you want them to program Neil's drum parts with a drum machine......haha.....the machine would probably explode and come back with a "cannot compute" error message. This post is just dumb trying to downplay Neil's contribution to the band.

What contribution? Drummers are like roaches. There's always more where they came from. It's us bass players that rule the world.

BASS PLAYERS! :laughing guy:

Absolutely we rule the world. Without us, the drummers wouldn't be able to keep time. :)

My sister is a bass player. I give her so much crap it's not even real. It's all in jest though, bass players make great stage props.

:outtahere:

Just get Earl to replace Neil.

He doesn't have to learn forty years of music since he already knows it.

It would be a win/win for all involved, and we would have a star within our midst.

You are so sweet! I am flattered!

Could you imagine drummer tryouts for Rush?

There are so many better drummers in the world than me!

That being said I better hit my drum room!!

Time for some Hemispheres in your honor!! :)

So yes mission accomplished. Strangely enough I must have some "bad wood" or your motivation made me hit the skins harder! I broke a NP 747 on "Book 2" and then cracked the other one in half on "La Villa!" RUSH ON!

Well, gee, Earl, I'm sorry. :(

It's ok! It happens!!! I love helping to keep Promark in business. I've been used the Promark 747 since they were created. Way before Neil's sig was on them! Just saying that I just don't use his sticks to be trendy. I love the Japanese oak over American hickory! It's just me!

I expected he'd react that way. Accepting the news and not really doing any mudslinging. It does seem like he wants to try talk to Neil about the possibility of being in Rush "part time"

Stop whinging about a band you hardly know and go listen to all the remaining albums you have yet to hear!

Forty years of music awaits! Be happy!

Are you serious? He hasn't even listened to all of their studio albums? He whines like a baby constantly and still hasn't heard all of their music, unreal!

Something tells me Geddy knows more than we do about what Neil is thinking. Time will tell.

I dont think so, not this time. Why? The multiple sources, consistency of information, and his own daughter saying dad is "retired". Hell, even his tech's twitter says farewell, essentially.

• Like 1

The facebook link didn't work for me.

Did you read the first page? The post by Jarg DIRECTLY under yours?

That one didn't mention the possibility of new music.

http://ultimateclass...retire-comment/

So now, Neil is officially just done with tours, not music?

So, to reiterate:

The original story was, before and during R40, that this was the last big tour the band would be doing. There might be residencies, maybe small tours, that sort of thing. Neil is characteristically vague, but talk of tendinitis and "ambivalence" towards gets traded around. Alex's arthritic issues get covered "Geez, maybe it's Big Al that's the problem..." some say.

Halfway through the tour, Geddy is obviously on fire, Alex clearly isn't as in as poor a health as first reported, but Neil is still... meh. Still "Rush is not over!" is the refrain.

Last show of the tour, and for the first time in decades, Neil doesn't run for the backstage exit like a man being stalked by a tiger, and instead takes pictures and is all Mr. Smiles (no one was sure before this that Neil even could use those muscles anymore). Hmmm...

After the tour, Alex confirms he had a good time, that his fingers are not falling off, that Geddy's dumped a bunch of money into his home studio and he's sure they'll get together soon. Geddy is just as keen to forge ahead. Neil's writing a book, but what he does release seems all about endings. Hmmm...

Now - Neil uses the word retired, even quotes his young daughter using the word "retired". Geddy says "Touring is totally over, but..."

I'm seeing a trend here of a band, or at least some parts of it, that would love this boat to keep going downriver, and just keeps trying to find the most optimistic, if improbable explanation, for Neil's clear intentions to ride into the sunset.

• Like 1

http://ultimateclass...retire-comment/

So, to reiterate:

The original story was, before and during R40, that this was the last big tour the band would be doing. There might be residencies, maybe small tours, that sort of thing. Neil is characteristically vague, but talk of tendinitis and "ambivalence" towards gets traded around. Alex's arthritic issues get covered "Geez, maybe it's Big Al that's the problem..." some say.

Halfway through the tour, Geddy is obviously on fire, Alex clearly isn't as in as poor a health as first reported, but Neil is still... meh. Still "Rush is not over!" is the refrain.

Last show of the tour, and for the first time in decades, Neil doesn't run for the backstage exit like a man being stalked by a tiger, and instead takes pictures and is all Mr. Smiles (no one was sure before this that Neil even could use those muscles anymore). Hmmm...

After the tour, Alex confirms he had a good time, that his fingers are not falling off, that Geddy's dumped a bunch of money into his home studio and he's sure they'll get together soon. Geddy is just as keen to forge ahead. Neil's writing a book, but what he does release seems all about endings. Hmmm...

Now - Neil uses the word retired, even quotes his young daughter using the word "retired". Geddy says "Touring is totally over, but..."

I'm seeing a trend here of a band, or at least some parts of it, that would love this boat to keep going downriver, and just keeps trying to find the most optimistic, if improbable explanation, for Neil's clear intentions to ride into the sunset.

This boat is going down the river STYX. Hades awaits.

Signed

Dante's Inferno

• Like 1

To me, it just sounds like Geddy is being as optimistic as possible (probably for his own sanity) and there is a small chance that Geddy and Alex may be able to get Neil in for one more album Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/geddy-lee-neil-peart-retire-comment/

I know you're busy wiping your tears and trying to get Peart's knife out of your back and all but did you read this thread and the links provided?

He's not done with touring or making music. He's done with fraroc. Now excuse me I have some frarocing to do and this one is gonna hurt.

• Like 2

This Neil/ Geddy , this and that, back and forth, can only be summed up by the one and only Billy Preston

• Like 3