Let's put this to rest!

Eel Yddeg

When did his voice change?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. When?

• Caress Of Steel/earlier (1975-earlier)
    • 2112 (1976)
    • 2112 Tour (1976)
    • All The World's A Stage tour (1977)
    • A Farewell To Kings (1977)
    • Drive 'Till You Die Tour (AFTK tour) (1977-78)
    • Hemispheres (1978)
    • Tour Of The Hemispheres (1978-79)
    • Permanent Waves (1979)
    • Permanent Waves tour (1980)
    • Moving Pictures (1980)
    • Moving Pictures Tour (1981)
    • Exit Stage Left tour (1981)
    • Signals (1982)
    • Signals Tour (1982)
    • Grace Under Pressure or later (1983-present)

From all that I have read, I was and am under the impression that the voice Geddy used in the seventies was not his natural singing voice and that he sang like that because he thought it was expected of him, or anyone looking to be a famous band to have a singer that sounded like that.

So I don't think it's a question of him losing anything. What he did is to just stop singing unnaturally high in order to preserve his true singing voice which is the voice we heard in the eighties.

• Like 3

From all that I have read, I was and am under the impression that the voice Geddy used in the seventies was not his natural singing voice and that he sang like that because he thought it was expected of him, or anyone looking to be a famous band to have a singer that sounded like that.

So I don't think it's a question of him losing anything. What he did is to just stop singing unnaturally high in order to preserve his true singing voice which is the voice we heard in the eighties.

I think that's part of it, but I also think that his voice changed. He definitely can't sing the old stuff now the way he could then.

I think that's part of it, but I also think that his voice changed. He definitely can't sing the old stuff now the way he could then.

I think Geddy likes to say that wasn't his natural singing voice or whatever, but I firmly believe he LOVED singing like that when he had the ability
  • Like 2

Hahaha all this made me laff!

I thought I was the only one who took ages to work out the name!

Phew

• Like 1

I think Geddy likes to say that wasn't his natural singing voice or whatever, but I firmly believe he LOVED singing like that when he had the ability

Yes probably!