Xanadu vs. Headlong Flight

Segue Myles

38 members have voted

1. 1. You kind of set off an eternal winter, everywhere!

One think I do have to say:

Why do so many older fans have to get so precious about their old school favourites? What is wrong with a young person really enjoying a recent song more than an old classic?

I didn't live in the seventies. I think much of that generations music was the best that ever has been, or will be, but I also think the same of much of the last twenty years music as well. And a lot of the seventies Rush favourites really are great, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better than a lot of modern music.

I might not agree that CA is one of the best Rush Albums, but if someone thinks otherwise, and feels personally that Headlong Flight is better than Xanadu, then why not?

I think Xanadu is one of the lesser tracks on AFTK. The title track and Cygnus X-1 own Headlong Flight without any contest!

But seriously, it is a growing trend to be off colour with certain fans, but Rush are so diverse, does it really matter who prefers what?

No, but those that prefer other songs are equally dismissive of those of us who prefer the earlier Rush albums. Often we are accused of emotional attachment to the music. That may be true for some, but I had no emotional attachment to any Rush album in the seventies.

I have to defend my own music taste here just like everyone else. Someone mentions they like/love a song, and ten others tell the person why the song is awful.

No one here is in any position to point a finger.

You won't be 25 forever. When you are older, you may find yourself in the same position, and someone 25 years old will be accusing you of the same thing.

It's all good. I caught most of the shrapnel on that one. I am a big boy and can take it... :cheers: all

I am sorry guys I read my message back and it came off heated when actually it wasn't meant to at all.

• Like 1

Why do so many older fans have to get so precious about their old school favourites? What is wrong with a young person really enjoying a recent song more than an old classic?

I didn't live in the seventies. I think much of that generations music was the best that ever has been, or will be, but I also think the same of much of the last twenty years music as well. And a lot of the seventies Rush favourites really are great, but that doesn't mean they are necessarily better than a lot of modern music.

I might not agree that CA is one of the best Rush Albums, but if someone thinks otherwise, and feels personally that Headlong Flight is better than Xanadu, then why not?

I think Xanadu is one of the lesser tracks on AFTK. The title track and Cygnus X-1 own Headlong Flight without any contest!

But seriously, it is a growing trend to be off colour with certain fans, but Rush are so diverse, does it really matter who prefers what?

No, but those that prefer other songs are equally dismissive of those of us who prefer the earlier Rush albums. Often we are accused of emotional attachment to the music. That may be true for some, but I had no emotional attachment to any Rush album in the seventies.

I have to defend my own music taste here just like everyone else. Someone mentions they like/love a song, and ten others tell the person why the song is awful.

You won't be 25 forever. When you are older, you may find yourself in the same position, and someone 25 years old will be accusing you of the same thing.

I get what you're saying, but I feel like certain forum members, (I'm not thinking of particular names here), get overly sensitive if a song they like is criticized. Mick has been well known to hate Clockwork Angels and call it garbage. Clockwork Angels happens to be my personal favorite album. Despite that, I believe Mick has the right to say what he says about Clockwork Angels, and I won't get emotional over it. I feel I have the same right to criticize The Weapon, and anyone else has the same right to criticize music they don't like.

• Like 3

:goodone:

It's all good. I caught most of the shrapnel on that one. I am a big boy and can take it... :cheers: all

I am sorry guys I read my message back and it came off heated when actually it wasn't meant to at all.

Just gonna leave it be and to all a good night...

In keeping with my friendly agreeable reputation, I like Xanadu and HF equally well.

You. You big trouble maker. I love both. I'll listen to Headlong Flight more than Xanadu in the near future. The testosterone is just undeniable. It's the heaviest song they ever recorded...and I dig that!

Headlong Flight melts the caves of ice in the end.

• Like 3

I think your use of the word precious in the first sentence came across as negative.

I can see it both ways. Everyone has their preferences and even that can change over time.

The other thing to consider is that threads like these kind of provoke dissension. Any time there's a "which is better" discussion it's bound to rear its head.

• Like 1

I think your use of the word precious in the first sentence came across as negative.

I can see it both ways. Everyone has their preferences and even that can change over time.

The other thing to consider is that threads like these kind of provoke dissension. Any time there's a "which is better" discussion it's bound to rear its head.

Aah see I read it back and thought it came off very accusatory, and couldn't pinpoint it. "Precious" would be it. I came off bitchy.

Maybe i am and should just shut up in future.

*kidding*

Also why can't threads like this nust be fun?

For goodness sake lol!

• Like 1

Aah see I read it back and thought it came off very accusatory, and couldn't pinpoint it. "Precious" would be it. I came off bitchy.

*kidding*

Don't make John Kerry show up on your doorstep to promote world peace!

• Like 1

*kidding*

What if he offers me a cupcake?

*kidding*

It's a negotiating trick...stay strong hold your ground and refuse all cupcakes.

• Like 1

*kidding*

It's a negotiating trick...stay strong hold your ground and refuse all cupcakes.

You don't understand...CUPCAKES ARE NOT NEGOTIABLE!

I just eat them. All the time.

• Like 1

*kidding*

I know it's hard, but we must all resist the temptations of the Cupcake Sorcerer.

(that should be the antagonist on Rush's next album)

Edited by AnEggplant
  • Like 1

*kidding*

I know it's hard, but we must all resist the temptations of the Cupcake Sorcerer.

Yes!

And the album title

• Like 1

*kidding*

Yes!

And the album title

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING. If only we could tell them...

• Like 1

*kidding*

Yes!

And the album title

We should. They would get started straight away!

• Like 1

*kidding*

Yes!

And the album title

We should. They would get started straight away!

I have Neil's email address. I requested lyrics to 'Cupcake Sorcerer' by Thursday.

His reply: Is that you Al? Jesus! lay off the weed once in a while.

• Like 3

Well I think Headlong Flight is the closest Rush has got to reach Xanadu levels of greatness in decades (since Red Barchetta, in fact).

And I might trash CA most days, but I happen to think HF is a truly GREAT song and a key Rush track of any era.

If it came out forty years ago under Terry Brown's direction, I truly doubt we would be arguing this.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Well I think Headlong Flight is the closest Rush has got to reach Xanadu levels of greatness in decades (since Red Barchetta, in fact).

And I might trash CA most days, but I happen to think HF is a truly GREAT song and a key Rush track of any era.

If it came out forty years ago under Terry Brown's direction, I truly doubt we would be arguing this.

Production....
  • Like 1

Yes indeed. Good posting!

Production....

Agreed. But the song itself is phenomenal (hence I mentioned Terry Brown. The more I listen to CA, the more I realise the songs are there, but not the production).

Some days, I think I should leave here and just listen to music, and enjoy it for what it is.

I don't have it in me to argue my positions about music, and I shouldn't have to. None of us should have to.

The conventional wisdom seems to be that the song written, recorded and released in the '70s is automatically better on the grounds of its provenance alone.

Xanadu is an absolutely wonderful piece of work- surely one of the highlights of their career.

But that conventional wisdom I just mentioned is absolute bollocks.

I'm not out to change anyone's mind, or talk down to someone else, or throw out a passive insult, or anything of that sort.

Just prefer what you prefer, and be content with it.

• Like 2