Geddy's voice sounds like fingernails over a chalkboard

Dread Pirate Robert

I don't know what you're talking about. Personally, i find Geddy's 70s voice to be his absolute peak. I loved the raw wail his voice had to it, and the power behind some notes were incredible.

The climb in most early live versions of 2112 Overture is a great example of this.

His voice still sounded (and still sounds!) good, but it can't compare to his 70s voice, IMHO.

He really stopped going for the highs between 1980-1982. His raw wail also disappeared.

He still has great tone, and can go for the highs sometimes.

Edited by Eel Yddeg

That's the voice I know and love right there!

That woke me up..! :LOL:

And people wonder why his voice has suffered over the years. :LOL:

What is he singing?

But I did notice yesterday when I was on an In The End kick that he stopped singing so high sometime during the MP tour.

He really had a beautiful singing voice back then. He could do a lot. I can't help but wonder if he ever listens to the old stuff and feels bad he can't sing like that anymore.

What is he singing?

It's a compilation of his best screeches.

• Like 2

What is he singing?

But I did notice yesterday when I was on an In The End kick that he stopped singing so high sometime during the MP tour.

He really had a beautiful singing voice back then. He could do a lot. I can't help but wonder if he ever listens to the old stuff and feels bad he can't sing like that anymore.

It's just short bits and pieces of some of his "highest" works. Little 5 second or so clips all put together. It would have been cool if Fooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrr had ended it... :LOL: Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

I may be in the minority, but Geddy's voice has grown on me over the years and IMO he sounds better than ever.

No Geddy, no Rush.

I've often wondered too how his throat felt after some of those shows in the seventies - whether it was a strain for him to sing like that, or if it came naturally.

He was obviously straining back in the day -- his voice doesn't lend itself to that growly screech without it being pushed -- and I think every time he did it he caused damage, but I doubt he knew that at the time or cared, if he did know.

• Like 2

I may be in the minority, but Geddy's voice has grown on me over the years and IMO he sounds better than ever.

No Geddy, no Rush.

You very much are I think... :)
  • Like 1

I've often wondered too how his throat felt after some of those shows in the seventies - whether it was a strain for him to sing like that, or if it came naturally.

He was obviously straining back in the day -- his voice doesn't lend itself to that growly screech without it being pushed -- and I think every time he did it he caused damage, but I doubt he knew that at the time or cared, if he did know.

Lousy for him but great for me. His voice was the first thing that drew me to the band. It drove many away but tough sh*t for them...
  • Like 2

Even my husband made a remark about his voice last night. I don't understand what the problem some have with that seventies voice. it never struck me back then, or now, as unusual sounding at all. :huh:

The more I listen to the old albums and bootlegs, the more I appreciate (and pick up on) what he was able to do with his voice.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 4

Even my husband made a remark about his voice last night. I don't understand what the problem some have with that seventies voice. it never struck me back then, or now, as unusual sounding at all. :huh:

The more I listen to the old albums and bootlegs, the more I appreciate (and pick up on) what he was able to do with his voice.

I don't get it either. His voice was one of the most appealing things about the band back in the day. Of course a lot of bands had high-pitched singers. It actually fits better in with the music then someone singing in a lower pitch. It carries better.

• Like 1

I've always wondered this too. I would guess that he could easily sing high but the screaming part he had to focus on. That's just a guess though.

• Like 1

I wonder if it's just because he had such an unusual voice and people were thrown a bit by how high he could sing. I don't think many other singers sang quite like he did back then. So it probably sounded very strange in comparison to what was the norm at the time.

I agree, though, I always thought his voice was a plus, not a minus.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 1

I wonder if it's just because he had such an unusual voice and people were thrown a bit by how high he could sing. I don't think many other singers sung quite like he did back then. So it probably sounded very strange in comparison to what was the norm at the time.

Yep. Different and unique usually worked for me...
  • Like 3

I wonder if it's just because he had such an unusual voice and people were thrown a bit by how high he could sing. I don't think many other singers sang quite like he did back then. So it probably sounded very strange in comparison to what was the norm at the time.

There was nothing odd-sounding about his voice back then. We were used to Robert Plant screeching, so why would Geddy sound strange?

There was no "norm" back then either. Anything went.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Look at the lead singer in Yes. He sounds like a girl. If you want an odd voice, he had it.

I loved it but Bon Scott had a strange and different voice too. The band went downhill when he died in my view. The uniqueness was gone... Edited by Narps
  • Like 2

Look at the lead singer in Yes. He sounds like a girl. If you want an odd voice, he had it.

I loved it but Bon Scott had a strange and different voice too. The band went downhill when he died in my view. The uniqueness was gone...

Yes, I loved his voice too, but I brought him up as another example to show that singing in a high pitch wasn't unique back then.

• Like 1

There was nothing odd-sounding about his voice back then. We were used to Robert Plant screeching, so why would Geddy sound strange?

There was no "norm" back then either. Anything went.

I agree that the diversity back then was great - really inspiring

Geddy, Rob Halford, Freddie Mercury, Paul Stanley, Robin Zander, Bon Scott - all these guys had great recognizable voices

Even in the lighter music there was diversity - even encouraged diversity ... The Bee Gees and Leo Sayer come to mind

• Like 1

I loved it but Bon Scott had a strange and different voice too. The band went downhill when he died in my view. The uniqueness was gone...

Yes, I loved his voice too, but I brought him up as another example to show that singing in a high pitch wasn't unique back then.

Singing in a high register was pretty typical back then, but no one sang quite as high as Geddy; more importantly, no one wailed like he did with that incredibly unique vibrato
  • Like 2

Narps, I didn't see this until just now

Completely agree

Phil Lynott had a unique singing style too - almost spoken .. He is really underrated as a vocalist