40 Years Ago: Queen Begin Recording Their Masterpiece, "Bohemian Rhapsody"

The Cat 3

As long as we're discussing Queen in general, here's my ranking of Queen's discography up through A King Of Magic. In my chronological purchasing of Queen's epic studio album catalogue (minus Flash), I have recently purchased The Miracle, and I'm loving it to death, so much that I can't figure out where to put it in my ranking yet, though I'm imagining it somewhere in my top five.

Here it is:

--A Night At The Opera

--Queen II

--News of the World

--Sheer Heart Attack

--A Day At The Races

--A Kind Of Magic

--Queen

--The Works

--Jazz

--The Game

--Hot Space (underrated!)

• Like 1

As long as we're discussing Queen in general, here's my ranking of Queen's discography up through A King Of Magic. In my chronological purchasing of Queen's epic studio album catalogue (minus Flash), I have recently purchased The Miracle, and I'm loving it to death, so much that I can't figure out where to put it in my ranking yet, though I'm imagining it somewhere in my top five.

Here it is:

--A Night At The Opera

--Queen II

--News of the World

--Sheer Heart Attack

--A Day At The Races

--A Kind Of Magic

--Queen

--The Works

--Jazz

--The Game

i have to revisit 80's Queen. i just rember....apart from The Game and the Works........being very underwhelmed.

i have to try again.

Mick

• Like 1

Here it is:

--A Night At The Opera

--Queen II

--News of the World

--Sheer Heart Attack

--A Day At The Races

--A Kind Of Magic

--Queen

--The Works

--Jazz

--The Game

i have to revisit 80's Queen. i just rember....apart from The Game and the Works........being very underwhelmed.

i have to try again.

Mick

Hot Space is easy to be underwhelmed by, as it's half dance and half underwhelming rock with some good ballads thrown in. AKOM is also easy to underrate as it starts off rockin' but quickly slows down and brings in the cliche 80s sounds before you get to "Who Wants To Live Forever," then has more rockin' but underwritten material and finally the short but oh so sweet "Princes Of The Universe," a huge return to form for Freddie's songwriting. As for The Miracle, it's like a wonderful assimilation of much of all they'd ever done, with some simply wonderful songs. "Breakthru" is one of my absolute favorite Queen songs.

• Like 2

Here's my ranking...

Sheer Heart Attack

A Night at the Opera

A Day at the Races

Queen II

News of the World

Jazz

Made in Heaven

Inneuendo

The Works

The Game

Queen

A Kind of Magic

The Miracle

Hot Space

Flash Gordon

I really love The Miracle. Top 5 for me.

Sheer Heart Attack

Queen 2

Opera

News of the World

The Miracle

Everything else

Hot Space. Wtf?

• Like 3