Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters

ReRushed

I never thought of Madonna as a songwriter. How many songs did she "write" on her own?

https://en.wikipedia...na_(entertainer)

Songs written by Madonna.

No. Songs Madonna co-wrote with numerous and multiple collaborators. She throws in a lyric and - BAM! - a co-writing credit.

I have nothing against Madonna as an entertainer. But is she never struck me as a writer. She's on the list but Sting isn't? Bogus.

You're selling her short. She did plenty on her own. I agree that Sting should be n the list, though. Him not being there is stupid. Just stupid.

ETA: But who do you remove?

Edited by goose

I never thought of Madonna as a songwriter. How many songs did she "write" on her own?

No. Songs Madonna co-wrote with numerous and multiple collaborators. She throws in a lyric and - BAM! - a co-writing credit.

I have nothing against Madonna as an entertainer. But is she never struck me as a writer. She's on the list but Sting isn't? Bogus.

You're selling her short. She did plenty on her own. I agree that Sting should be n the list, though. Him not being there is stupid. Just stupid.

I don't sell her short as an entertainer or artist. She's not my cup of tea but I do enjoy some of her music. Again, I don't see her, when push comes to shove, as a songwriter. Maybe song collaborator or contributor?

First? The hack who is Billie Joe Armstrong. Also, I am a huge R.E.M. fan, but I don't think groups belong on a list like this one.

• Like 1

I don't sell her short as an entertainer or artist. She's not my cup of tea but I do enjoy some of her music. Again, I don't see her, when push comes to shove, as a songwriter. Maybe song collaborator or contributor?

First? The hack who is Billie Joe Armstrong. Also, I am a huge R.E.M. fan, but I don't think groups belong on a list like this one.

If you're going to put a group on the list, Queen has to make it. Complexity, popularity, diversity.

Everyone is arguing about Billie joe and Taylor and I'm sitting here thinking I've never gotten bob Dylan and, at this point, I have to confess I never will. Enough people love him that him being on the list is expected but number 1?
  • Like 2

Link: http://www.rollingst...est-songwriters

Another crappy biased list. Ugh

I enjoy the Stones. They are excellent but as songwriters? Sheeet man.

I think KISS writes better songs.

LOL!

Oh man, don't even got there. Get Off My Cloud, Earl! ;)

HAHAHA!

"I so hot for her I'm so hot for her I'm so hot for her and she's so cold."

God I love that song.

Reminds me of my lovely bride.

FUKK GREEN DAY! RIGHT IN THE ARSE! They stole their band name for "Soylent Green." I hate them. Punk Pop Posers! HACKS!

I've seen Dylan 4 times. Brought the house down each time. Simply a sublime performer. He ripped off more people than Zep did.

Blood on the Tracks ftw! Book it.

HAHAHA!!!! Classic man. I can't argue anything.

"Blood On The Tracks."

I think that's an Aldo Nova song with Jon Bon Jovi on vocals.

Yeah useless rock knowledge. Hope I'm wrong.

Lol...I was in a car with my bass teacher back in...91? 92? anyway, Aldo Nova had a new album produced by Bon Jovi...hes like "Hey Aldo Nova. He had a couple big hits in the early 80's"...after about a minute he turned off the radio in disgust and said, that sounds like everybody.

LOFL.

• Like 1

Lol...I was in a car with my bass teacher back in...91? 92? anyway, Aldo Nova had a new album produced by Bon Jovi...hes like "Hey Aldo Nova. He had a couple big hits in the early 80's"...after about a minute he turned off the radio in disgust and said, that sounds like everybody.

LOFL.

Hahahaha! Excellent story buddy. He was right!!!

I don't know why Taylor Swift is in it.

Because what she did in music by the age of 21 is amazing. Writing one song in a lifetime that connects with millions is hard, She wrote dozens, by the age of twenty-one. Remarkable.

Exactly! I think she is remarkable in her field.

Because what she did in music by the age of 21 is amazing. Writing one song in a lifetime that connects with millions is hard, She wrote dozens, by the age of twenty-one. Remarkable.

I'm well out of her target demo and find her to be very talented. We can't whine about cookie cutter untalented performers who can't write or play an instrument and are only famous for looks or image and then take issue with someone that can write and play an instrument just because it arrived in a way we didn't expect.

• Like 1

I think I heard 2 or 3 Taylor Swift songs and I wasn't impressed. It sounds very much off the shelf. But, obviously, I'm not in her demographic.

Several months back some DJ did a mash-up of two of her songs and they were basically the same songs. I think Ms. Swift's lawyers put an end to it.

I don't know what it proves. I just found it interesting.

Edited by ReRushed

I'm well out of her target demo and find her to be very talented. We can't whine about cookie cutter untalented performers who can't write or play an instrument and are only famous for looks or image and then take issue with someone that can write and play an instrument just because it arrived in a way we didn't expect.

This is an open mind if ever there was one!

She is an excellent pop songwriter. Hooks aplenty, and her rather frail voice is surprisingly tested from time to time, and that is her choice. Very good live performer, I live near Norwich and she recently opened up for The Foo Fighters there, and the audience lapped her up. She was tremendous.

Her music is modern, and sure, she won't be competing with David Bowie or Elvis Costello when it comes to pop innovation, but her lyrics are heartfelt, eloquent, quotable and released with strong melodies and instrumentation.

She DESERVES all her success, some despise her because she makes more money and sells more records than their favourite artists, but that misses the point. Based solely on her own merits, she is the cream of the crop. And her continual reinvention feels more organic and natural than the attention seeking Madonna, who changed herself every album for years not because she was the head of the pack, but because if she didn't, her weaknesses would shine through. She needed the distraction of a new sound every couple of years to disguise her vocal weaknesses. Which is not a put down, it was genius. But Taylor Swift isn't forcing it, her growth from album to album makes complete sense, and although many regard her last effort as a left turn, it actually made complete sense based on what came before.

Pop music is not a dirty word, and I find a lot of hard rock and even classic rock bands every bit as formulaic and uninspired as the majority of pop artists. Journey is one example. ACDC is another. Rolling Stones post sixties work. The Ramones. Styx. Bon Jovi. Metallica...

The only difference is how we respond to the genre. But formulaic music "curses" every genre

Everyone is arguing about Billie joe and Taylor and I'm sitting here thinking I've never gotten bob Dylan and, at this point, I have to confess I never will. Enough people love him that him being on the list is expected but number 1?

I don't really enjoy listening to Dylan doing his stuff, but I can recognize the quality of the material. It's about the lyrics, which are as sound in terms of poetry as anyone's. RUSH and Neil's writing are the polar opposite in that there is precious little I would rather listen to, but reading RUSH lyrics can be agonizing.
  • Like 1

I don't really enjoy listening to Dylan doing his stuff, but I can recognize the quality of the material. It's about the lyrics, which are as sound in terms of poetry as anyone's. RUSH and Neil's writing are the polar opposite in that there is precious little I would rather listen to, but reading RUSH lyrics can be agonizing.

Wowsers...I thought I was alone!

Peart is a great songwriter in terms of lyrical wordplay, and they always sound more clever sung than read aloud, with a couple of exceptions.

Billie Joe Armstrong. Again, Billie Joe Armstrong.

Sometimes you need to personal opinion to one side. He has been hugely influential and is immensely popular whether you like it or not.

I'll give you popular. But influential? What for? Ripping off Ray Davies?

Ripping off?

Stupid phrase. Influenced by. Most of these artists are modest writers who struck a chord with a lot of people. You don't have to be a pioneering original to be a great songwriter. A song like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams or Basket Case struck a chord with a lot of people, and being someone who dislikes Green Day, even I have to admit his best work is beautiful.

Rush spent the eighties "ripping off" The Police and new wave artists. No wonder they missed the list!

*palm face*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAX06-B6k28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDu3E5zDks

So what? It happens all the time.

But Green Day have the goods to touch and inspire a widespread audience with just their songs. I bet you overlook it when your favourite artists do it.

It's just not a riff or a chord sequence. It's basically the whole damn song. And he does it more often than not. I scratch my head over tons of artists that are popular. In fact, you swoon over many of them. Like Jon Bon Jovi, Billie Joe Armstrong is a hack.

At the end of the day, I don't lose any sleep over stuff like this. Millions of people liking Green Day means nothing to me. Heck, I've been listening to Nina Hagen recently. Nobody I know likes NunSexMonkRock.

Which Green Day song is it supposed to be? I can only see the second video and it doesn't sound like any Green Day song I know, which the exception of the bass line.

He's as close to a consensus number 1 as you'll ever get.

Wowsers...I thought I was alone!

Peart is a great songwriter in terms of lyrical wordplay, and they always sound more clever sung than read aloud, with a couple of exceptions.

Geddy really works wonders in terms of adding emotion and a human quality to what Neil writes. A perfect marriage.
  • Like 1