Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters

ReRushed

Bjorn and Benny made it!

This list is pretty accurate.

• Like 2

I cannot really argue with any of that, minus Jay Z. Don't know if I passed Kanye but I hope he missed it.

Biased? Not at all!! These are all very accomplished, well loved and highly influential writers! Glad to see Taylor Swift made the cut.

It is rolling stone . I hardly expected to see the likes of Yes there. Shame Peart didn't make it, considering the bands recognition this year.

• Like 1

Billie Joe Armstrong. Again, Billie Joe Armstrong.

Sometimes you need to personal opinion to one side. He has been hugely influential and is immensely popular whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

Sometimes you need to personal opinion to one side. He has been hugely influential and is immensely popular whether you like it or not.

I'll give you popular. But influential? What for? Ripping off Ray Davies?

Ripping off?

Stupid phrase. Influenced by. Most of these artists are modest writers who struck a chord with a lot of people. You don't have to be a pioneering original to be a great songwriter. A song like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams or Basket Case struck a chord with a lot of people, and being someone who dislikes Green Day, even I have to admit his best work is beautiful.

Rush spent the eighties "ripping off" The Police and new wave artists. No wonder they missed the list!

*palm face*

• Like 1

I never thought of Madonna as a songwriter. How many songs did she "write" on her own?

I noticed that...

Ripping off?

Stupid phrase. Influenced by. Most of these artists are modest writers who struck a chord with a lot of people. You don't have to be a pioneering original to be a great songwriter. A song like Boulevard Of Broken Dreams or Basket Case struck a chord with a lot of people, and being someone who dislikes Green Day, even I have to admit his best work is beautiful.

Rush spent the eighties "ripping off" The Police and new wave artists. No wonder they missed the list!

*palm face*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAX06-B6k28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjDu3E5zDks

• Like 1

Ripping off?

*palm face*

So what? It happens all the time.

But Green Day have the goods to touch and inspire a widespread audience with just their songs. I bet you overlook it when your favourite artists do it.

The top 3 are probably Bon Dylan, Van Morrison, and Neil Young since its Rolling Stone. I'll edit this post after I read it.

EDIT: I laughed when I saw I was right about Dylan's ranking! The list isn't very surprising. I don't know why Taylor Swift is in it.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

Ripping off?

*palm face*

But Green Day have the goods to touch and inspire a widespread audience with just their songs. I bet you overlook it when your favourite artists do it.

It's just not a riff or a chord sequence. It's basically the whole damn song. And he does it more often than not. I scratch my head over tons of artists that are popular. In fact, you swoon over many of them. Like Jon Bon Jovi, Billie Joe Armstrong is a hack.

At the end of the day, I don't lose any sleep over stuff like this. Millions of people liking Green Day means nothing to me. Heck, I've been listening to Nina Hagen recently. Nobody I know likes NunSexMonkRock.

Edited by ReRushed
  • Like 1

Ripping off?

*palm face*

It's just not a riff or a chord sequence. It's basically the whole damn song. And he does it more often than not. I scratch my head over tons of artists that are popular. In fact, you swoon over many of them. Like Jon Bon Jovi, Billie Joe Armstrong is a hack.

At the end of the day, I don't lose any sleep over stuff like this. Millions of people like Green Day means nothing to me. Heck, I've been listening to Nina Hagen recently. Nobody I know like NunSexMockRock.

Bon Jovi is a hack.

But I don't base my enjoyment on the need for originality. Sometimes I just want something light, fun, or catchy, and a lot of lightweight music is enjoyable.

I don't get why so many gravitate to just one style or genre or have the need to think just because it is original, it is superior.

I am not a snob. I like what I like, and I have no issues with the likes of Billy Joe Armstrong taking the place of a songwriter I like a lot more. Or Springsteen being lower than Bob Marley.

I don't take the comment I like hacks as an insult. I also enjoy a lot more than that.

Ripping off?

*palm face*

At the end of the day, I don't lose any sleep over stuff like this. Millions of people liking Green Day means nothing to me. Heck, I've been listening to Nina Hagen recently. Nobody I know likes NunSexMonkRock.

Bon Jovi is a hack.

But I don't base my enjoyment on the need for originality. Sometimes I just want something light, fun, or catchy, and a lot of lightweight music is enjoyable.

I don't get why so many gravitate to just one style or genre or have the need to think just because it is original, it is superior.

I am not a snob. I like what I like, and I have no issues with the likes of Billy Joe Armstrong taking the place of a songwriter I like a lot more. Or Springsteen being lower than Bob Marley.

I don't take the comment I like hacks as an insult. I also enjoy a lot more than that.

I enjoy a lot of songs written by hacks. There are a ton of hacks on the list whose songs I enjoy. But Green Day simply baffles me in a way Neil Diamond doesn't.

My top ten songwriters:

1. Springsteen

2. Tuomas Holopainen

3. Foreigner

4. Benny Anderson and Bjorn Ulvaeus

5. Lacuna Coil

6. Stevie Nicks

7. Stevie Wonder

8. Toto

9. Mark Tremonti and Myles Kennedy

10. Alan Menken

Edited by Segue Myles

My top ten songwriters:

1. Springsteen

2. Tuomas Holopainen

3. Foreigner

5. Lacuna Coil

6. Stevie Nicks

7. Stevie Wonder

8. Toto

10. Alan Menken

Don't tell us. Send it to Rolling Stone. Maybe they'll publish it in a future issue.

• Like 1

Ripping off?

*palm face*

Bon Jovi is a hack.

I enjoy a lot of songs written by hacks. There are a ton of hacks on the list whose songs I enjoy. But Green Day simply baffles me in a way Neil Diamond doesn't.

But just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't deserving. Whether we like it or not, Jay Z and Kanye West have struck a chord with millions, and mostly with an audience, or culture, that we don't fit into. That is good!

My top ten songwriters:

1. Springsteen

2. Tuomas Holopainen

3. Foreigner

5. Lacuna Coil

6. Stevie Nicks

7. Stevie Wonder

8. Toto

10. Alan Menken

Don't tell us. Send it to Rolling Stone. Maybe they'll publish it in a future issue.

I am hoping it gets noticed...RS love this forum, right???

• Like 1