Is Steven Spielberg the BIGGEST name in film..so far?

Tom Sawyer

yeah, cameron and spielberg are household names with critical acclaim. anyone saying david lynch or woody allen is misunderstanding the question. how many soccer moms watched blue velvet?

I like rush more than michael jackson, but that doesn't make rush more famous in reality.

• Like 1

yeah, cameron and spielberg are household names with critical acclaim. anyone saying david lynch or woody allen is misunderstanding the question. how many soccer moms watched blue velvet?

I like rush more than michael jackson, but that doesn't make rush more famous in reality.

I like both about the same...

:ph34r:

Up to now... is his name the BIGGEST? I say YES IT IS!!

If not.........

who then?

:popcorn:

Still Alfred Hitchcock for me.

• Like 1

If not.........

who then?

This isn't about the best...this is about the one single director likely to be named the most if you walked around the average high street and asked people to name the first director that comes to their mind.

Speilberg has a commercial appeal that all the directors listed don't approach. That's the difference.

:goodone:

If not.........

who then?

This isn't about the best...this is about the one single director likely to be named the most if you walked around the average high street and asked people to name the first director that comes to their mind.

No, the question is: who is the BIGGEST, which implies a sort of popularity contest. So I'm still correct in my assertion.

If not.........

who then?

No, the question is: who is the BIGGEST, which implies a sort of popularity contest. So I'm still correct in my assertion.

Still not sure...I agree with you as to who is better, but the popcorn crowd is in the majority, and I am pretty sure Hitchcock is not as well known to the modern majority.

I personally think James Cameron is a better director of commercial movies than Spielberg. My goodness...the schmaltz makes me gag sometimes (although Schindler's List is my all time favourite movie).
  • Like 2

If not.........

who then?

Still not sure...I agree with you as to who is better, but the popcorn crowd is in the majority, and I am pretty sure Hitchcock is not as well known to the modern majority.

The popcorn crowd also puts Lady Gaga ahead of Rush. Need I say more?

If not.........

who then?

The popcorn crowd also puts Lady Gaga ahead of Rush. Need I say more?

Well, today Lady Gaga is the bigger name.

I do not get your argument, this thread is not about who we personally think is the best, but about the most widely known man in Hollywood, and quite frankly, Steven Spielberg is without a doubt the most famous director on the planet, a man whose films touch without letup every single generation of moviegoers, and who is ultimately as big a celebrity as the stars he casts in his movies.

This isn't about who we like best as individuals, but about who is the most famous, whether we like it or not. Hitchcock is of course hugely influential and famous in his own right, but today I think it obvious that Spielberg is the bigger name in Hollywood.

If not.........

who then?

HELL NO!

I will take John Carpenter, Stanley Kubrick and David Cronenberg over SPELL "ICEBERG!" Enough!

"Batteries Not Included." CRAP

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

I personally think James Cameron is a better director of commercial movies than Spielberg. My goodness...the schmaltz makes me gag sometimes (although Schindler's List is my all time favourite movie).

Yeah him too but he is one arrogant prick.

"The Abyss"

If not.........

who then?

HELL NO!

I will take John Carpenter, Stanley Kubrick and David Cronenberg over SPELL "ICEBERG!" Enough!

"Batteries Not Included." CRAP

Batteries Not Included me as NOT directed by Spielberg

I also love that movie haha

Stanley Kubrick

Alfred Hitchcock

David Lynch

Lynch is hard to watch twice IMO

Huh? Lynch films are made for multi-viewing. There's no way most people can even start to scratch the surface of most of his work without re-watching.

• Like 1