The Mick and Segue Music Commentary Thread

Lorraine

Here's my version of Snakes i made which runs about 48 mins.

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

6. The Main Monkey Business

7. Hope

8. The Way the Wind Blows

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

Bravest Face is the weak link imo. Tai Shan is better than that.

• Like 1

I think out of all of the 21st century Rush music, Snakes does have many of the most melodic offerings...nice riffs...quite a few songs to sing along to (haha...why am I reminded of The Partridge Family, when I say something like that? :P )...and more dynamic instrumentation than the albums on either side of it.

But Clockwork Angels just blows me away!

It's funny...you, Segue and I all embody a certain degree of fanbuoyness for the three albums in question-

Segue for Vapor Trails

Mick for Snakes and Arrows

Blue J for Clockwork Angels

And we all three have an album among those three that we absolutely can't stand!:

Segue- Snakes

Mick- CA (and maybe you hate VT, too, right?)

Blue J- Vapor Trails

Together, collectively, we should all espouse the virtues of everything Rush has done since the decidedly mediocre (at best) Test For Echo.

And we'll still be bantering and bickering back and forth with each other all day long, too! Hahahaha!!

I really like T4E. Better than SA and I enjoy it more than CA (but CA is the better album).

I did not know that!

I knew you didn't think it's horrid or anything (so I thought I could get away with calling it mediocre...it's decidedly not as bad as 'horrible').

I see you and Digital Dad have got my number on that one, though.

• Like 1

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

7. Hope

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

well i think it's good. Don't talk to me about Tai Shan. That's an abomination, lol

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Far be it for me to hijack this thread. T4E is better than people give it credit for. You want to talk about mediocre? Roll the Bones is the benchmark for mediocrity. That and CP. MOR Rush at best.

Roll the Bones I actually enjoy a lot. But I can concede that it's not a uniformly strong album...the word that best describes that album on the whole, in my mind, is flaccid.

Counterparts I absolutely loved, for quite a long time- at the time it was released, I thought of it as the strongest Rush album since Signals (though my fondness for all of the latter 80s albums has also grown exponentially since then). But Counterparts is one album that hasn't aged as well as others.

I think out of all of the 21st century Rush music, Snakes does have many of the most melodic offerings...nice riffs...quite a few songs to sing along to (haha...why am I reminded of The Partridge Family, when I say something like that? :P )...and more dynamic instrumentation than the albums on either side of it.

But Clockwork Angels just blows me away!

It's funny...you, Segue and I all embody a certain degree of fanbuoyness for the three albums in question-

Segue for Vapor Trails

Mick for Snakes and Arrows

Blue J for Clockwork Angels

And we all three have an album among those three that we absolutely can't stand!:

Segue- Snakes

Mick- CA (and maybe you hate VT, too, right?)

Blue J- Vapor Trails

Together, collectively, we should all espouse the virtues of everything Rush has done since the decidedly mediocre (at best) Test For Echo.

And we'll still be bantering and bickering back and forth with each other all day long, too! Hahahaha!!

I really like T4E. Better than SA and I enjoy it more than CA (but CA is the better album).

I did not know that!

I knew you didn't think it's horrid or anything (so I thought I could get away with calling it mediocre...it's decidedly not as bad as 'horrible').

I see you and Digital Dad have got my number on that one, though.

T4E isn't a strong album, I would say its close to mediocre, but its so darn catchy with some really great playing, and the bad songs are goofily enjoyable.

With stronger lyrics, it could have been truly special. 7/10

• Like 1

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

7. Hope

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

well i think it's good. Don't talk to me about Tai Shan. That's an abomination, lol

Mick

Its OK. I am the rare fan that isn't in love with Signals. Solid album, but I really have to be in the mood!

• Like 1

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

7. Hope

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

Mick

I like 'em both! So there!

• Like 1

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

7. Hope

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

Mick

Its OK. I am the rare fan that isn't in love with Signals. Solid album, but I really have to be in the mood!

Yeah, I'm the same. It's a strong album, and I enjoy all but one or two of the songs.

But it's no Hold Your Fire.

• Like 2

T4E Just kinda fades in the background for me. it's not horrid. it just makes no attempt to stand out.....it's just........there.

Mick

I always enjoy it more than I remember...a lot more in fact!

1. Far Cry

2. Armor and Sword

3. Workin' Them Angels

4. The Larger Bowl

5. Spindrift

7. Hope

9. MalNar

10. Bravest Face

Much Tighter, IMO.

Mick

Mick

Yeah, I'm the same. It's a strong album, and I enjoy all but one or two of the songs.

But it's no Hold Your Fire.

Its not even close.

• Like 1

Dispite my hate for the last 2 songs. HYF is now my number 2 Rush album.

Mick

I agree with Turn The Page being the ideal album closer. I love the last two songs, but TTP should have ended it.

• Like 1

Mick

I agree with Turn The Page being the ideal album closer. I love the last two songs, but TTP should have ended it.

those last 2 always seemed like bad outtakes they could have put on a greatest hits pakage. as 2 "new" songs.

Mick

Dispite my hate for the last 2 songs. HYF is now my number 2 Rush album. Yes it pushed out Waves.

Mick

:o Wowza.

Consider me surprised! But bravo for the change.

And I looooove PeWaves.

Edited by Blue J

Mick

disagree

*Slams gavel down*

When I say TTP could have ended it, I mean TS and HW could have preceded it and I would maybe be a tad happier!!

But considering I already think HYF is perfect as it is, I am just happy this ten song collection of songs exists at all!

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Dispite my hate for the last 2 songs. HYF is now my number 2 Rush album. Yes it pushed out Waves.

Mick

:o Wowza.

Consider me surprised! But bravo for the change.

And I looooove PeWaves.

oh I still Love Waves.......don't get me wrong.

but HYF is synth/pop perfection.

I adore it.

Great Tour for that album too.

Mick

• Like 1

Also, I am not sure what happened to Rush, but they really hit their stride with AFTK and became untouchable amongst their peers for the longest time!

Styx, from the debut to Crystal Ball, were phenomenal. from The Grand Illusion onwards, as much as I love the next four albums, Rush swamped them quality wise from AFTK, and Styx gradually went downhill (and died painfully with Kilroy Was Here. Ouch!). That is saying a lot.

Kansas, from the debut to Point Of Know Return, I would choose those overRush. But my goodness, that heavenly streak saw a decline starting with the admittedly great Monolith. But the magic was ebbing away.

Yes, from the debut until Relayer...wow...possibly the best of the lot, even Rush...and then it went downhill...not atrociously bad, and better than the above bands for a little longer...

But Rush started slowly for me, and then hit their stride, and went from being relative underdogs to worldwide champions! Seriously, AFTK saw the band just erupt with a seemingly endless streak of true classics, and in all honesty...its a little sad the other bands couldn't keep up. (of the four mentioned bands, Styx, from The Grand Illusion to Paradise Theater, were the best of the lot).

Really sad these bands started so strongly, only to fade quickly, whilst Rush kept creatively hot right through their second decade...

Rush are genuinely amazing. These bands all have a proud place in my heart, but Rush showed the most improvement, and ultimately outshone every single one of their peers come the 1980's.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 4

I think it's fascinating how our tastes can change about their music over the years. They have so many albums with various types of music, even though it's still "Rush music" by definition, it changes and evolves so that everyone can have a favorite time or era. Their music tends to grow on you possibly because of where you are in your life at that time or what's going on and maybe a different album might appeal to you later. I've gone through ups and downs about the synth era for example, or gotten tired of RTB's or HYF and can wait a while and suddenly they appeal to me again.
  • Like 2

Also, I am not sure what happened to Rush, but they really hit their stride with AFTK and became untouchable amongst their peers for the longest time!

Styx, from the debut to Crystal Ball, were phenomenal. from The Grand Illusion onwards, as much as I love the next four albums, Rush swamped them quality wise from AFTK, and Styx gradually went downhill (and died painfully with Kilroy Was Here. Ouch!). That is saying a lot.

Kansas, from the debut to Point Of Know Return, I would choose those overRush. But my goodness, that heavenly streak saw a decline starting with the admittedly great Monolith. But the magic was ebbing away.

Yes, from the debut until Relayer...wow...possibly the best of the lot, even Rush...and then it went downhill...not atrociously bad, and better than the above bands for a little longer...

But Rush started slowly for me, and then hit their stride, and went from being relative underdogs to worldwide champions! Seriously, AFTK saw the band just erupt with a seemingly endless streak of true classics, and in all honesty...its a little sad the other bands couldn't keep up. (of the four mentioned bands, Styx, from The Grand Illusion to Paradise Theater, were the best of the lot).

Really sad these bands started so strongly, only to fade quickly, whilst Rush kept creatively hot right through their second decade...

Rush are genuinely amazing. These bands all have a proud place in my heart, but Rush showed the most improvement, and ultimately outshone every single one of their peers come the 1980's.

Change AFTK to Hemispheres for me.....and yes.

To me from Hemispheres to presto (With 1 hitch in p/g) is it for me.

Mick

Mick

Your underrating of AFTK bemuses me...

But your new found love of HYF more than makes up for it!

Still...crazy crazy opinions...at least I saw the light on Hems...

• Like 1

Mick

Again i will stress.........i do NOT hate AFTK..........it just is like that little brother trying to get my attention.

It's like........Yea lil buddy i see you. Yea.........you're doing great pal.

All the while not really engaging me.

lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Again i will stress.........i do NOT hate AFTK..........it just is like that little brother trying to get my attention.

It's like........Yea lil buddy i see you. Yea.........you're doing great pal.

All the while not really engaging me.

lol

Mick

My feelings towards Signals (to great to be treated as a lesser album, but not quite enough to make it into the upper echelon of my favourite Rush albums...

• Like 1