Hemispheres vocals - question for singers

dakota2112

So I am wondering, maybe singers can chime in on this. Is it feasible, given Ged's current vocal range, for them to pull off Hemispheres, by just shifting the vocals down an octave, during the high passages? Like "food and wine" and "some fought themselves" etc? Maybe even throw an octaver on his mic signal during those phrases...

So I am wondering, maybe singers can chime in on this. Is it feasible, given Ged's current vocal range, for them to pull off Hemispheres, by just shifting the vocals down an octave, during the high passages? Like "food and wine" and "some fought themselves" etc? Maybe even throw an octaver on his mic signal during those phrases...

If he sang it down an octave, maybe.

That's the question - I'm no singer, except in the car lol... I wonder if he could pull it off, dropping down an octave as needed, would that be within his range. And would an octaver work with those phrases, or would that end up sounding awful? Technology is pretty good these days, but could that be made to work? Or am I just makin baked beans lol

Technically, it would be a piece of cake to drop a whole octave. In doing that though, you're sacrificing the passion of the delivery that makes it so awesome.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Singing down an octave would take some of the power away from it. It would be interesting to hear him try it.

• Like 1

Technically, it would be a piece of cake to drop a whole octave. In doing that though, you're sacrificing the passion of the delivery that makes it so awesome.

That's kind of what I was thinking. Singing down an octave would take some of the power away from it. It would be interesting to hear him try it.

I wouldn't really have any issue if he sang it down an octave, I really just want to hear them play the music lol
  • Like 2

If he sang it down an octave, maybe.

I agree. I'd say it's a maybe.

• Like 1

Geddy sounds like he's hyper ventilating when he sings, "I will soothe your primal fears."

Oh, I disagree.

I see critical comments about the vocals on Hemispheres and I just think... :tsk: :no:

• Like 1

That's the question - I'm no singer, except in the car lol... I wonder if he could pull it off, dropping down an octave as needed, would that be within his range. And would an octaver work with those phrases, or would that end up sounding awful? Technology is pretty good these days, but could that be made to work? Or am I just makin baked beans lol

I think Geddy singing the whole thing an octave down would be fine. I'd rather he do that than use an octaver.

Geddy sounds like he's hyper ventilating when he sings, "I will soothe your primal fears."

Oh, I disagree.

I see critical comments about the vocals on Hemispheres and I just think... :tsk: :no:

He could have easily have sang it down an octave when they recorded it originally, but he chose to sing it that high. It's part of what makes it so intense. So powerful.

• Like 1

I don't think most fans care at this point if the vocal delivery loses some of it's impact because Geddy is singing it in an octave lower. I think we would be so overjoyed if they busted out songs like Anthem, FBN, Bastille Day, AFTK and Something For Nothing that his vocals wouldn't matter too much. I mean how long has it been since he's been able to sing Temples in the proper register and fans still go crazy for it?

Part of me is thinking that since this looks to be their last major world tour, they might just say screw it and play a good amount of the 70s stuff for the last time. If this is the end, then Geddy doesn't really have to save his voice for future tours anymore.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

One and a half?

No you can't really do that. It wouldn't sound right. It would change the key by a fifth and that would really sound odd, even to people who have a tin ear.

• Like 2

One and a half?

No you can't really do that. It wouldn't sound right. It would change the key by a fifth and that would really sound odd, even to people who have a tin ear.

Exactly. Plus, I think it would be a lot more difficult for Geddy and Alex to play that transposition. If you take something that's in the key of A, and change it to D...oh, it throws everything off. Plus, the chord progressions they write can be pretty unconventional to begin with. That would be just...goofy! :P

One and a half?

Exactly. Plus, I think it would be a lot more difficult for Geddy and Alex to play that transposition. If you take something that's in the key of A, and change it to D...oh, it throws everything off. Plus, the chord progressions they write can be pretty unconventional to begin with. That would be just...goofy! :P

:LOL: I think singing down an octave on Hemispheres might work, at least for a lot of it. I just don't know how much it would lose by him doing it that way.

One and a half?

:LOL: I think singing down an octave on Hemispheres might work, at least for a lot of it. I just don't know how much it would lose by him doing it that way.

I think it would be fine, when it's an octave down it's basically in a normal singer's range lol. He could sing The Sphere in the original octave Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

One and a half?

I think it would be fine, when it's an octave down it's basically in a normal singer's range lol. He could sing The Sphere in the original octave

Right, I know it's in the normal range, but I mean as far as the song losing it's awesomeness. :D

One and a half?

I think it would be fine, when it's an octave down it's basically in a normal singer's range lol. He could sing The Sphere in the original octave

Right, I know it's in the normal range, but I mean as far as the song losing it's awesomeness. :D

As long as Neil focuses on being a bad ass drummer, rather than "the motions between the hits" it should still be pretty awesome lol

One and a half?

As long as Neil focuses on being a bad ass drummer, rather than "the motions between the hits" it should still be pretty awesome lol

He needs to channel his inner Bonham. :D

• Like 1