Sensitive question, but one which I keep coming back to...

zappafrank

It seems very obvious that Neil's priorities are a major determinant of how the band conducts its business, especially with regards to touring. And in light of Ray Daniels' recent comments, that fact seems as true as ever (especially since it's been echoed by Geddy and Alex).

But one thing that creeps into my head touches on a sensitive subject: had Neil not endured what he did in the late 90's with his family, do you think that would drastically affect things at this point in their career? Neil's biggest priority is his family, especially his young daughter. Were that not the case, I wonder if they'd be slowing down anyway. For example, Alex looks to want to slow down, and obviously is not in the same situation as Neil. But maybe he has grandkids he wants to be more present for, which certainly could have been the case has Neil's 1st daughter not passed. In other words, the important young child in his life would have been a grandchild instead of his own child.

Sorry if this topic offends anyone given its sensitive nature ("a man lost his family and all you care about is whether he wants to tour?!"), but I'd like to think it's worthy of respectful discussion. Mods, feel free to shut it down if you want; it's just something that's been in the back of my mind as we've come to learn more about where the guys' heads are at.

For example, Alex looks to want to slow down, and obviously is not in the same situation as Neil. But maybe he has grandkids he wants to be more present for, which certainly could have been the case has Neil's 1st daughter not passed. In other words, the important young child in his life would have been a grandchild instead of his own child.

It is reasonable that the course of life with out tragedy might have the band on the same path as today.

What Rush does is their PROFESSION. Not their life. They have a life offstage. They have families. Wives, children, grandchildren.

Maybe they want to spend the rest of whatever time they have left on this earth enjoying the benefits they acquired by decades of endless work and touring

• Like 5

This is a tough one, and discussing this is hard for me because of how much Neil treasures his privacy and all, but... the whole topic confuses me, because I would think that touring for Neil would be so much easier overall if he would travel like Ged and Alex do, instead of making it a several-tens-of-thousands-of-miles-motorcycle-ride.

For one thing, the physical demands of playing a 3 hour show would seem to be greatly relieved if he traveled via bus and air. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard on him if he hadn't ridden his motorcycle for hundreds of miles prior to every show.

Tied into that is also the family issue. I read somewhere on here once that Ged and Alex often times can sleep at home in their own beds while on tour, presumably by flying charter back to YYZ inbetween shows. So... if Neil could keep his motorcycle in the garage and follow suit, maybe touring would be a lot easier on him in this respect. Just a thought.

• Like 4

This is a tough one, and discussing this is hard for me because of how much Neil treasures his privacy and all, but... the whole topic confuses me, because I would think that touring for Neil would be so much easier overall if he would travel like Ged and Alex do, instead of making it a several-tens-of-thousands-of-miles-motorcycle-ride.

For one thing, the physical demands of playing a 3 hour show would seem to be greatly relieved if he traveled via bus and air. Maybe it wouldn't be so hard on him if he hadn't ridden his motorcycle for hundreds of miles prior to every show.

Tied into that is also the family issue. I read somewhere on here once that Ged and Alex often times can sleep at home in their own beds while on tour, presumably by flying charter back to YYZ inbetween shows. So... if Neil could keep his motorcycle in the garage and follow suit, maybe touring would be a lot easier on him in this respect. Just a thought.

He won't, because he's said that his riding/sight seeing in between tour dates is what makes it tolerable for him now.

It's all guesswork at what ifs and hindsight. It's pretty fair to presume they'd still be thinking about retirement at this point. Rockstars hit 60, it's time to start thinking about relaxing. Some few keep trudging through their sixties to keep playing, it's in their blood. Rush might do that...but given current indications, it feels like it's the last run at it.

Re: Neil - ehh, it's a miracle we got anything outta Rush ever again after '99. Had those events not occurred, I doubt much would've happened differently...perhaps an extra Rush album instead of Geddy and Alex's solo albums? But who knows.

Most things in life require compromise, and while making a Rush tour into a motorcycle vacation for Neil might be what makes it tolerable... my gut response on this is that if he treasures his time with his family, then maybe touring would be just as tolerable if he flew back home on a regular basis, and keep the motorcycle vacations on hold until the band is back on break. That's what I would suggest to someone in his situation I guess. But then again I don't know him, so this is all pure conjecture anyways ;-)
  • Like 1

In response to the question about the "what if"... I can relate to Neil on a somewhat more personal level than some people can. I lost my wife unexpectedly and out-of-the-blue back in 2007, and it literally turned my world upside down. It took me about twice as long as it did for Neil to get "back in the game" and move on.

I would say it's a vain effort to consider the what-ifs... but in the case of Rush, the sequence of events does suggest that there was a definite "re-birth" of the band that quite possibly would not have happened. When your world gets turned upside down like that, it does have a profound impact on everything in your life, and I think it's hard to truly relate with the gravity of this without actually going through it. In some ways, recovery and the rebound can make you look at things in a different light. Maybe a little bit like having make-up sex after a big fight, lol... so... hard to say, but Rush has rebounded very well. Not sure if any of this makes any sense, lol.

(and why does the reply box only acknowledge about half of my keystrokes? I have to type at about 25% of my normal speed to avoid dropped letters.. ugh!)

I think they would have taken an extended break after Presto anyway. They said they were incredibly burned out.

Did you mean TFE?

Most things in life require compromise, and while making a Rush tour into a motorcycle vacation for Neil might be what makes it tolerable... my gut response on this is that if he treasures his time with his family, then maybe touring would be just as tolerable if he flew back home on a regular basis, and keep the motorcycle vacations on hold until the band is back on break. That's what I would suggest to someone in his situation I guess. But then again I don't know him, so this is all pure conjecture anyways ;-)

I think it's pretty clear most fans are getting a little weary of Neil's Motorcycle tours.... From reading his blog, it's like the tours now are not even about how great the shows were anymore, but some "Awesome new backroad I almost got killed on 4 hours before showtime thank goodness my "buddy" Mosbach between the non-stop gay jokes like a 13 year old saved the day and gave me his bike so I could make it barely in time for the show !" kinda thing.... I'm pretty sure, that SILENTLY, Ged & Al have had enough too... What a TOTAL waste of energy, especially at his age... And then as soon as the tour is over it's "I was so glad to get home and get into my Aston Martin for a week long road trip AWAY from the stress of home!"... It's time to man up Ged & Al, and tell the dude to PARK his motorbike for the summer.......

Edited by Supersyl
  • Like 2

I always thought Neil's beeline-for-the-motorcycle-as-soon-as-the-last-note-is-played was partly his way of trying to avoid fan encounters (which is fine) but now I wonder if this causes distance between the band. It's almost like he isn't trying to avoid fans, but avoid Rush in general, as soon as the show is over.

With Neil still being "the new guy, in some strange way" per Ged on BTLS... this does make me think maybe Neil tries to seek refuge and privacy even from the band itself. Add to that the fact that he has relocated to LA, makes ya wonder.

(again, all conjecture... but I agree, leave the bike at home and save your energy for playing... and maybe spend some time with the guys after the show... maybe jamming and working on new material like the old days? sorry, major digression lol)

Edited by dakota2112
  • Like 1

I think they would have taken an extended break after Presto anyway. They said they were incredibly burned out.

Did you mean TFE?

The extended break was between Counterparts and Test For Echo....that's when Neil was reevaluating his style of play and was working with Freddie Gruber They were pretty much running on a two year album release schedule at that point...then after the T4E tour was when the tragic stuff all happened...and it looked like there wasn't going to be anything further.

I think it's pretty clear most fans are getting a little weary of Neil's Motorcycle tours.... From reading his blog, it's like the tours now are not even about how great the shows were anymore, but some "Awesome new backroad I almost got killed on 4 hours before showtime thank goodness my "buddy" Mosbach between the non-stop gay jokes like a 13 year old saved the day and gave me his bike so I could make it barely in time for the show !" kinda thing.... I'm pretty sure, that SILENTLY, Ged & Al have had enough too... What a TOTAL waste of energy, especially at his age... And then as soon as the tour is over it's "I was so glad to get home and get into my Aston Martin for a week long road trip AWAY from the stress of home!"... It's time to man up Ged & Al, and tell the dude to PARK his motorbike for the summer.......

I always thought Neil's beeline-for-the-motorcycle-as-soon-as-the-last-note-is-played was partly his way of trying to avoid fan encounters (which is fine) but now I wonder if this causes distance between the band. It's almost like he isn't trying to avoid fans, but avoid Rush in general, as soon as the show is over.

With Neil still being "the new guy, in some strange way" per Ged on BTLS... this does make me think maybe Neil tries to seek refuge and privacy even from the band itself. Add to that the fact that he has relocated to LA, makes ya wonder.

(again, all conjecture... but I agree, leave the bike at home and save your energy for playing... and maybe spend some time with the guys after the show... maybe jamming and working on new material like the old days? sorry, major digression lol)

Ok...so lets just hang this all on Neil's head...FORTY YEARS! That's how long these guys have been at it That's a long freaking time....most people retire after being somewhere for 30 years...

Watch some of the available videos of Neil on the last tour...he pounds the living $hit out of the drums, and being a drummer, myself, I can attest that after a LONG night of playing it HURTS! (and I don't hit HALF as hard as he does!)

I'm looking for loopholes in the interviews that have been up with different people lately, and I GET it...I'm just hoping that once they get back on the road they feel like a little more...

No...It's Neils fault and the fact that he runs out of the shows and rides a motorcycle....

:popcorn:

Ok...so lets just hang this all on Neil's head...FORTY YEARS! That's how long these guys have been at it That's a long freaking time....most people retire after being somewhere for 30 years...

Watch some of the available videos of Neil on the last tour...he pounds the living $hit out of the drums, and being a drummer, myself, I can attest that after a LONG night of playing it HURTS! (and I don't hit HALF as hard as he does!)

I'm looking for loopholes in the interviews that have been up with different people lately, and I GET it...I'm just hoping that once they get back on the road they feel like a little more...

No...It's Neils fault and the fact that he runs out of the shows and rides a motorcycle....

I'm a lifelong drummer too, so I agree with you that he's still pounding the $*** out of those drums... NO complaints there from me.... Although he HAS simplified some things a bit, and it's somewhat easier on him... Just saying that if he didn't come to the show already half beat up by a day of riding in 100° weather in the middle of summer, touring would be easier on him... He's already so much more tired BEFORE the show than Geddy & Alex, who spend the day what.... Reading a book, hanging out at the museum... Sleeping til noon? The SHOW is Geddy & Alex's most demanding part of the day. While Neil's day should already be over BEFORE the show starts.... He's been up since 5AM, rode several hundred miles in the sun may have a bit of heatstroke... It's like he's making himself miserable on purpose at times.... At least this tour is in arenas, so it will be cooler than playing in that aweful mid-summer humidity in those sheds all over the US....

Did you mean TFE?

The extended break was between Counterparts and Test For Echo....that's when Neil was reevaluating his style of play and was working with Freddie Gruber They were pretty much running on a two year album release schedule at that point...then after the T4E tour was when the tragic stuff all happened...and it looked like there wasn't going to be anything further.

No, I meant Presto. Alex said in some interview that they were tired and burned out while they were making that album. Probably has a lot to do with how the production turned out.

• Like 1

I believe his wife is from the LA area. Plus, she does have her own business and career. She can't transport her clients to Canada for Neil. :) Neil, on the other hand, it doesn't matter where he lives.

I can't remember if he still has the house in Quebec or not.

As someone who deals with not only my own, but numerous others' emotional struggles as my job, I can certainly see why Neil's family and especially his daughter are such a huge priority. Remember, when he lost his 1st wife and daughter, he had been a professional touring drummer spending much of his time away from them for the entire duration of his marriage and 1st daughter's life. He will never get any of that time back. He's living his current life with a much more experienced and self-aware perspective. He doesn't want to have another only child grow up mostly longing for her missing father, who was away on business for the vast majority of her short life. He's a guy who is always striving to be the best at whatever he's involved in at the moment (including being a shunpiker), and that includes trying to be a better husband and father since the opportunity exists now, and probably won't ever come again. Of course he wants not to be away for months at a time. Those other excursions he blogs about last a few days, not a few months. Try not to blow them out of proportion. Even dedicated parents like to have a little down time or a "bowling night" or "girls night out" away from the spouse and kids. Lastly, yeah riding a motorcycle can be tiring and risky, but the exertion involved is nothing compared to the 2.5 hour continuous stairmaster type workout Neil goes through every other night on tour. Edited by HalfwayToGone
  • Like 1

I'm a lifelong drummer too, so I agree with you that he's still pounding the $*** out of those drums... NO complaints there from me.... Although he HAS simplified some things a bit, and it's somewhat easier on him... Just saying that if he didn't come to the show already half beat up by a day of riding in 100° weather in the middle of summer, touring would be easier on him... He's already so much more tired BEFORE the show than Geddy & Alex, who spend the day what.... Reading a book, hanging out at the museum... Sleeping til noon? The SHOW is Geddy & Alex's most demanding part of the day. While Neil's day should already be over BEFORE the show starts.... He's been up since 5AM, rode several hundred miles in the sun may have a bit of heatstroke... It's like he's making himself miserable on purpose at times.... At least this tour is in arenas, so it will be cooler than playing in that aweful mid-summer humidity in those sheds all over the US....

I still think he's pounding on the simpler sh*t, too..someone posted a video over his left shoulder of Digital Man from the S&A tour, and he's STILL pounding! My arms hurt just watching him play THAT one, and it's all 16ths on the hi-hat and slams on the snare for most of the song.

As far as the motorcycle thing..I was under the impression he kept it lighter on show days...and now that they only play every OTHER day he has his day to ride heavy...

• Like 1

How many of us have had the same job for 40 years?

Very few. If any.

Any moves they make are fine with me.

As Lorraine said, the way this tour is structured, the way it was put together and the rapid dates, a long break is coming.

It's all guesswork at what ifs and hindsight. It's pretty fair to presume they'd still be thinking about retirement at this point. Rockstars hit 60, it's time to start thinking about relaxing. Some few keep trudging through their sixties to keep playing, it's in their blood. Rush might do that...but given current indications, it feels like it's the last run at it.

Re: Neil - ehh, it's a miracle we got anything outta Rush ever again after '99. Had those events not occurred, I doubt much would've happened differently...perhaps an extra Rush album instead of Geddy and Alex's solo albums? But who knows.

Rock stars except Neil Young, of course. He is nearly 70 and let's see...two studio albums in 2012, including a double studio album. A live album in 2013. Studio album with orchestra in 2014, and a cover album in 2014. Major international tour in 2014. 2011 live album and 2010 studio album. Just saw his 2011 film on Palladia, he can still hit the high notes on After the Gold Rush, with a full moon in his eyes...

• Like 1