Your preference: entire classic song or medley?

toymaker

I actually thought the R30 medley was good in the sense that Geddy didn't have to sing the old songs. Think about it...if Geddy had trouble singing Hemispheres in 1994, which he did, how in the hell is he going to sing it well now?

What I didn't like about the R30 medley...and what I hate about all medleys...is that it included too little of each song. The R30 medley, while well thought out and well played, was just too short to do any of the sections justice.

My preference for this tour...a twenty minute medley of old stuff, allowing Geddy to abstain from trying to sing it, but leaving plenty of playing time for excellent musical passages. It would basically be a brand new epic instrumental.

Aside from that, I hope they tune down everything else so Geddy can sing it reasonably well (a la Circumstances on Snakes and Arrows)

I would take a truncated version of Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres only...no medleys...the whole song, the way it appeared on the album....

I don't want the songs to be the way they are on the album. I'll almost always prefer some extended solos, jams, tweaks...if I wanted to hear the album, I'd listen to the album and save a couple hundred bucks. That's why ATWAS is my favorite album...it actually dared to be a live album, and not a greatest hits album like ESL and ASOH.

You're missing my point... I want the WHOLE SONG...solo's are solos and some stretching is fine...but not a truncated version like they did to Camera Eye...or the way they messed with Natural Science...play the song...don't skip.....

I would take a truncated version of Cygnus X-1 and Hemispheres only...no medleys...the whole song, the way it appeared on the album....

I don't want the songs to be the way they are on the album. I'll almost always prefer some extended solos, jams, tweaks...if I wanted to hear the album, I'd listen to the album and save a couple hundred bucks. That's why ATWAS is my favorite album...it actually dared to be a live album, and not a greatest hits album like ESL and ASOH.

You're missing my point... I want the WHOLE SONG...solo's are solos and some stretching is fine...but not a truncated version like they did to Camera Eye...or the way they messed with Natural Science...play the song...don't skip.....

And I want new versions that I can't get on record and something that hasn't been recorded live before. If they are longer, that's great. If they are shorter, that's ok if done like Camera Eye. If it's a medley, I just hope it's a good one with rarities.

• Like 1

They seem to blow off the quieter atmospheric parts of songs - the intro to Xanadu and the middle part of By-Tor (not to mention the brilliant solo that follows). I'd love to see a return to that, with all the smoke and the guys floating through ghostlike in their shimmering kimonos.

I'm in the minority. I'll take the medleys. The ONLY reasons being:

1. I want more songs

2. I've already heard (i.e. seen) the long epics in tours of the past.

Example: I'd rather hear a medley of 2112 and/or Hemispheres if it meant making room for "Chain Lightning", "The Big Wheel", "Cut to the Chase", "Vapor Trails" and/or "Losing It".

If they play an entire 18 minute song, other deeper cuts won't make the list

The full 2112 was nice on the T4E tour. But we've been there, done that. I want something new.

Clem

• Like 2

1. I want more songs

Example: I'd rather hear a medley of 2112 and/or Hemispheres if it meant making room for "Chain Lightning", "The Big Wheel", "Cut to the Chase", "Vapor Trails" and/or "Losing It".

The full 2112 was nice on the T4E tour. But we've been there, done that. I want something new.

Clem

You want them to abbreviate Hemispheres - Hemispheres - to make room for . . . Chain Lightning and The Big Wheel?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

• Like 4

1. I want more songs

Clem

You want them to abbreviate Hemispheres - Hemispheres - to make room for . . . Chain Lightning and The Big Wheel?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Our Hemispheres Red Vinyl Ambassador on the job. :)

1. I want more songs

Clem

I see red . . . and it hurts my head.

• Like 1

1. I want more songs

Clem

And mine. This has been quite the morning for blasphemous Rush talk. :cool: ;)

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

1. I want more songs

Clem

And mine. This has been quite the morning for blasphemous Rush talk. :cool: ;)

Time for the TRF Inquisition. Nothing serious at first, just a few questions . . .

• Like 1

1. I want more songs

Clem

:facepalm: exactly.

• Like 2

1. I want more songs

Clem

Well....um....okay. Point taken. See, I **like** Chain Lightning and The Big Wheel. If you don't, sub those songs for two other deep cuts that you like that have never been played. Anyway, as I said at the beginning of my post - I am in the minority.

Peace

Clem

• Like 3

I guess the days of playing an entire side-long piece are long gone anyhow. Book 1: Hemispheres itself has become a kind of deep cut in terms of never being played. Here's another possibility: since they did a thing with 2112 where they played the first two parts and the finale, I wonder how fans would react to hearing a similar thing done with Hemispheres - Prelude, followed by the Apollo bit and then a bit of the outro part - instead of 2112, which has been played on pretty much every tour. I don't think the Apollo vocal bit is that high, is it?
  • Like 2

Not a huge fan of medleys but I guess I'd rather hear some Xanadu, 2112, etc than none at all. As long as they don't make the medley too many songs, in which case you might only get about 30 seconds of each song. Then I think it's pointless.
  • Like 1

Not a huge fan of medleys but I guess I'd rather hear some Xanadu, 2112, etc than none at all. As long as they don't make the medley too many songs, in which case you might only get about 30 seconds of each song. Then I think it's pointless.

True. The end of the Anaheim, CA show (on youtube) has an odd medley--more of a tease, really in some cases: just over a minute of Working man, about the same of Armageddon, 4 minutes of By-Tor, just under 2 minutes of In the End, 90 seconds of In the Mood, and the finale of 2112.

True. The end of the Anaheim, CA show (on youtube) has an odd medley--more of a tease, really in some cases: just over a minute of Working man, about the same of Armageddon, 4 minutes of By-Tor, just under 2 minutes of In the End, 90 seconds of In the Mood, and the finale of 2112.

Are you referring to the 1981 show?

Yes, 1981 - sorry, should have mentioned that. Is it possible that's an edit job?

Yes, 1981 - sorry, should have mentioned that. Is it possible that's an edit job?

Part of that medley is in the ESL video (they skip the Working Man and Armageddon sections). I always liked how on the MP tour they opened with Overture/Temples, and closed the main set with Grand Finale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kse01ftDAU0

1. I want more songs

Clem

:facepalm: :eh: :boo hiss: :doh: :doh: :doh:

I'd be fine with a medley… but ONLY if it were a medley of say... Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Working Man, Freewil. If they want to truncate these songs that we've all already seen live a boatload of times into a 10 minute medley to open up the setlist for more of the songs we've hardly ever or never seen, I'm all for it. Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre

I'd be fine with a medley… but ONLY if it were a medley of say... Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, Spirit of Radio, Working Man, Freewil. If they want to truncate these songs that we've all already seen live a boatload of times into a 10 minute medley to open up the setlist for more of the songs we've hardly ever or never seen, I'm all for it.

I will accept that. Don't truncate the old epics!

• Like 1