NASCAR 2015 Season

KenJennings

You know, i think I might tune into the NASCAR race tonight. It's got things going for it.

I love Darlington as a track. Or last I remember anyway. It's a weird egg-shaped oval with only a couple lanes and a really bad surface. An oddity like that is a great way to give the drivers a wheelful and let the cream rise to the top.

Old school paint schemes. I used to follow NASCAR lots, it'll be interesting to see what everyone (or some of them) come up with. Hoping to see some of my childhood favorites.

And I think this is the first Cup race since JW's passing, and NASCAR always does right by drivers in these sorts of situations. Even outside of NASCAR, which I respect immensely.

Totally needless caution with 15 to go... Burton didn't even spin, he got sideways, and NASCAR couldn't wait to involve themselves in the finish by throwing the caution.

Ruined one of the finest battles for the lead I've seen in ages. Keselowski and Harvick got robbed. It was their race to duke out.

Yes, absolutely. His comments after the race were also very refreshing. Last week NASCAR (rightly) let Jeff Gordon slide for a much more aggressive restart... Hours to show the cost of being on bad favour with Emperor France. Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

What was that mess that they called the end of a race at Talladega today? I'm sooooo tired of seeing a good race ruined by the green, white, checkered restart stuff, especially when they say over and over "only one restart" and then "oh wait, that wasn't a real one". It seemed like the first time they threw the caution flag too early and the second time they threw it too late, that was a holy mess. It's too bad that there was a finish like that on an elimination race. :rage:

NASCAR is pretty clearly just making up rules as they go at this point.

People being hard on Harvick are being silly. That was a product of restrictor plate racing and silly rules. Harvick was struggling to control a racecar as others were blazing by him. Calling that an intentional wreck is unfounded.

But at this point, I'd just like to see Daytona and Talladega plowed into the ground. They're just spectacles, not real racing.

• Like 1

NASCAR is pretty clearly just making up rules as they go at this point.

People being hard on Harvick are being silly. That was a product of restrictor plate racing and silly rules. Harvick was struggling to control a racecar as others were blazing by him. Calling that an intentional wreck is unfounded.

But at this point, I'd just like to see Daytona and Talladega plowed into the ground. They're just spectacles, not real racing.

Yes, that making up the rules part is what is always frustrating. I know they are still trying to perfect the Chase format, and I think it is better that they have it, but give me a break. That was a BIG waiver that they gave to Kyle Busch; I'm sure it was influenced by the fact that he is a popular driver.

What was that mess that they called the end of a race at Talladega today? I'm sooooo tired of seeing a good race ruined by the green, white, checkered restart stuff, especially when they say over and over "only one restart" and then "oh wait, that wasn't a real one". It seemed like the first time they threw the caution flag too early and the second time they threw it too late, that was a holy mess. It's too bad that there was a finish like that on an elimination race. :rage:

It would be nearly impossible to prove, but did anyone else think NASCAR continued the next to last yellow for way too long so Biffle would have to pit so the announcers could just concentrate on Jr and the pack? They never even showed Biffle in the lead until 9 laps to go and even then just for a short time. They were so focused on the pack with Jr and Logano.

• Like 1

I've seen a lot of upset Dale Jr fans bashing Harvick, and saying that he should be penalized like Clint Bowyer was a few years back.

But it's really just the opposite situation. Bowyer spun himself out to benefit his teammate. He sacrificed his own position to advance another.

To quote NASCAR president Mike Helton, Clint Bowyer violated this principle:

"NASCAR requires its competitors to race at 100 percent of their ability with the goal of achieving their best possible finishing position in an event..."

I can see no argument that applies that violation to Harvick.

And really, I bet that if Jr had been slightly ahead when the caution came out, his fans would be defending Harvick to the end. Man, I like Dale Jr. but a lot of his fans are just doofuses.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 1

A lot of NASCAR fans are doofuses, but since he's the most popular driver, he has more of them.

Having been to a few races the intensity of the doofidity is orders of magnitude higher, at least anecdotally.

• Like 1

Harvick knew his car was blowing up, and couldn't get up to speed, and it was clearly discussed on the radio. If NBC knew about it, did Nascar? And if so, why didn't they black flag him for having a car that couldn't keep up to the minimum speed? I was glad to see him pull up the track and let people pass him on the first restart. Why would he stay in line and force everybody around him the second time, after already admitting defeat?

Harvick knew his car was blowing up, and couldn't get up to speed, and it was clearly discussed on the radio. If NBC knew about it, did Nascar? And if so, why didn't they black flag him for having a car that couldn't keep up to the minimum speed? I was glad to see him pull up the track and let people pass him on the first restart. Why would he stay in line and force everybody around him the second time, after already admitting defeat?

NASCARs minimum speed requirements needs to be measured as a full green flag lap time. You could tell visually that his car was under speed, but it all happened during caution laps, do they never got a clock on him, and had no grounds to black flag him under the rules.

Edited by KenJennings

Matt Kenseth has turned into a real piece of trash. I don't know if it's being surrounded by those Gibbs teammates or what... But he needs to be suspended.

But Ken, you just heard him, he couldn't get it to turn. ; ) Just had to run into Joey Logano. Sheesh. I'm just glad Jeff Gordon was able to stay out of it.

Edited by blueschica

Did they have a lot of delays earlier today? Seems odd it is so close to dark. (I was watching the Steelers lose their key guy . . . .)

Hope that there is good racing until the end. I hate when everything turns into restart after restart . . .

Did they have a lot of delays earlier today? Seems odd it is so close to dark. (I was watching the Steelers lose their key guy . . . .)

Hope that there is good racing until the end. I hate when everything turns into restart after restart . . .

Shouldn't have said that. . . . shoot!

Matt Kenseth has turned into a real piece of trash. I don't know if it's being surrounded by those Gibbs teammates or what... But he needs to be suspended.

But Ken, you just heard him, he couldn't get it to turn. ; ) Just had to run into Joey Logano. Sheesh. I'm just glad Jeff Gordon was able to stay out of it.

It's one thing to do what he did, but to do what he did for no reason (he wasn't racing for a win or a championship), but to do it and then not be man enough to admit it... Just chicken.

• Like 1

Nice to see Gordon get a win in his final season. He has always been a class act; and seems like a great guy. He was making an appearance at a local amusement park years ago and our kids got to do a meet and greet; like I said, seemed like a very nice guy that day. :) Edited by blueschica

I've hated Kenseth for about 10 years for wrecking Gordon at Bristol forever ago. Gordon got even later in the year at Chicago, but I still never cared for Kenseth after that.

Until yesterday. That was the most awesome case of revenge I've seen in the last 20 years. Logano is a little prick who picked the wrong moment to wreck someone for no reason the way he did a few weeks ago. So far I haven't heard one driver stick up for him.

Now here's hoping that Hamlin can wreck Harvick after what he pulled at Talledega.

It's one thing to do what he did, but to do what he did for no reason (he wasn't racing for a win or a championship), but to do it and then not be man enough to admit it... Just chicken.

Umm there's a reason he wasn't racing for a win or a championship.

• Like 1