Morrissey: I Love "VIVA HATE!" "Everyday Is Like Sunday Every Day Is Silent And Gray." The Smiths?

RUSHHEAD666

Well I have a strange confession. I actually love Morrissey. Does this shock you? Perhaps you all know me by now as a musical whore. Oh well!

I remember one warm summer morning back in the late Eighties. I had thrown a big party at my parents house the night before.

I laid there on top of my bed with a horrific headache and a mouth filled with cotton.

I had broken up with my girlfriend of five years a few weeks ago.

I was depressed, sad and wanted to puke,

Suddenly I started to hear this song from a distance. "Everyday is like Sunday, every day is silent and gray." The melody swept me away.

This song was soothing, dark, gray and sad. It made me feel better. I had to get up and run to the other side of the house to ask my buddy who this was.

By my surprise it was this Morrissey character. I had no clue about him. No clue about his work with The Smiths.

Depressing stuff, yet very melodic. I thought his stuff was better than The Cure. "Just Like Heaven" is a gem too. Brings back so many memories of my ex girl.

Anyway I bought "Viva Hate" and I fell in love with it.

Of course even back then I was a whore. I had to buy every Morrissey cd! I loved them all!

I'm listening to "Vauxhall And I" right now. Great stuff still!

Well now over 20 years later here I am. Typing on a forum about Morrissey.

Now that I am pulling out all of my Morrissey records it seems quite fitting.

My marriage is on the rocks. These Morrissey songs relate to me once again.

What is it about melancholy melodic songs and girlfriends and boyfriends breaking up? Married couples getting a divorce?

Songs that relate to break ups in one's life will hit hard until their dying day.

Why not write a downer thread?

I love being an up beat contributor on this Forum buy sometimes negativity can take over the positive life force.

Don't get me wrong, Morrissey's music is great for my ears. His music has actually helped me keep strong.

His music is doing it again right now in 2015.

Guess I will always be a "Suedehead!"

One thing about Morrissey's music his band! Incredible guitars. They have that acoustic electric thing down like science. I dig the drummer too!

I wrote a threads on here about 5 years ago. It was all about "Viva Hate." No replies. I decided to not bring that one back up.

Decided to start fresh.

"I Used To Be A Sweet Boy"

It's cool to like Morrissey as long as it's not fueled by a cannibalistic flesh-eating bloodlust.

The Smiths were top-notch, although, personally, in small doses. For me, more a singles band than an albums band.

"How Soon is Now" is epic.

Got into The Smiths in Y2K and 99 in my first year of college along with bands like them. Got fed up with the way alternative rock was going with fratboy/douchebag/bully friendly crap like Bizkit so I turned to older stuff. I even scheduled my classes so I could listen to Flashback Lunch on KROQ hosted by iconic DJ Richard Blade at that time.

I have all their studio albums and solo Moz from the beginning up to Vauxhall. He can be an annoying attention whore prick at times but that's part of the charm.

The Smiths were a fantastic band and deserve to go into the RRHOF at some point in the near future.

I know Moz won't go if the others do since there's some real bad grudges still to this day. It would be like GnR a couple of years ago without Axl.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 1

I love the Smiths! I don’t really know much solo Morrisey, but with Morrisey/the Smiths I easily enjoy songs I’ve never heard before. The songs just sound so great going by, with that voice. And you know you’re listening to art.

Years ago, when I was a mailman, I’d often stop at Starbucks after delivering my route, to cool off with a Frappachino. One day I walked in and heard that unmistakable voice… but I didn’t know the song. I asked the hipster baristas: “Is this the Smiths or Morrisey?” They couldn’t believe that I, this bearded and balding mailman, knew the Smiths. “You know the Smiths??” I probably looked older than I was, but these kids should know that the Smiths are more MY generation than theirs!

Faves include the whole 2nd side of the first album, How Soon is Now, You Just Haven’t Earned it Yet Baby (speaking of covers: Kirsty MacColl does a great version of this), and Bigmouth Strikes Again. Now you’ve got me wanting to hear more! As I said, it’s all good, even the stuff I don’t already know.