Official 2015 PGA Tour Thread

RushCanuck

Fun Fact- If Jordan Spieth wins tomorrow, he'll earn a $1.8 million paycheck, which would give him $4,112,400 in official earnings since March 15.

Fun Fact- If Jordan Spieth wins tomorrow, he'll earn a $1.8 million paycheck, which would give him $4,112,400 in official earnings since March 15.

He's 21 years old...I'm guessing he'll want that in singles.

Any Tiger haters left in here?... :unsure:

Hate him may be too strong, but I would hate for Tiger to break Jacks record. Jack won 18 and finished 2nd 18 times. Jack won and finished second 36 times, playing against the likes of many legends, Player, Watson, Palmer, Trevino, Seve, Floyd. That's a lot more dominant than Tiger, against tougher competition. We have a bunch of great golfers today, but nothing like that list, especially during Tigers major years of 1997-2008.

Offhand, I can't recall Tiger going toe to toe in a major, finishing second to a hall of famer of this magnitude. ;) It must have happened? I can't recall him winning a major from behind in a final round. His last one against Rocco was a real gut check, but he was ahead at Torrey. Can't recall him and Phil ever both being 1,2, down to the 72nd hole in a major. He is great obviously, but it would just be terrible for him to finish ahead of Jack.

Edit....

Dated article, but interesting. Had Jack been two strokes better, he'd have 23 majors. Times has him second 19 times, and Tiger 2nd twice, as of 2005. Think he finished second also to YE Yeng (?) at the PGA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/17/sports/golf/17anderson.html?_r=0

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Any Tiger haters left in here?... :unsure:

Hate him may be too strong, but I would hate for Tiger to break Jacks record. Jack won 18 and finished 2nd 18 times. Jack won and finished second 36 times, playing against the likes of many legends, Player, Watson, Palmer, Trevino, Seve, Floyd. That's a lot more dominant than Tiger, against tougher competition. We have a bunch of great golfers today, but nothing like that list, especially during Tigers major years of 1997-2008.

Offhand, I can't recall Tiger going toe to toe in a major, finishing second to a hall of famer of this magnitude. ;) It must have happened? I can't recall him winning a major from behind in a final round. His last one against Rocco was a real gut check, but he was ahead at Torrey. Can't recall him and Phil ever both being 1,2, down to the 72nd hole in a major. He is great obviously, but it would just be terrible for him to finish ahead of Jack.

Edit....

Dated article, but interesting. Had Jack been two strokes better, he'd have 23 majors. Times has him second 19 times, and Tiger 2nd twice, as of 2005. Think he finished second also to YE Yeng (?) at the PGA.

http://www.nytimes.c...erson.html?_r=0

There's no doubt that Jack was the greatest of his era. Tiger was head and shoulders above everyone of his era...completely changed the way the game is played. Both Tiger and Jack are fabulous legends and were/are great for the game.
  • Like 1

Tiger is surely great, and after today, it looks like he has enough juice in the tank for more majors, which is a huge accomplishment considering where he was Wednesday. He has been tremendous for the popularity of the game and the increase in money is because of his accomplishments, but to this fan it's been a Huuuuuuge disappointment when he was on his eleven year role he was not challenged by a legend. To me, it was like watching the Yanks beat the Braves every year, not exciting.

Even when he hit the major stage in 97, there were few "veteran major winners" as Faldo was done in 96 and Norman before that. A few squeakers like Janzen & OMeara won multiple majors during Tigers lore, but I would not compare those very good players to the arsenal that Jack was up against. Jack was great in an era full of legends.

Goose, I'm interested in how you see Tiger changing the game. My belief he won mostly for his secret weapon, his short game, but he was well known more for his power, which to me was more technology available vs individual skill.

If I really wanted to "play dirty" I'd bring up his clutch performances in the eh....uh....Ryder....uh eh....long questionable list including 2013 Players, eh...uh....do I really want to...I honestly don't hate him, but think Jacks record is more sacred than 714....

Sorry, you are right, tomorrow is about Mr Spieth....

Edited by Gabrielgil513

Tiger is surely great, and after today, it looks like he has enough juice in the tank for more majors, which is a huge accomplishment considering where he was Wednesday. He has been tremendous for the popularity of the game and the increase in money is because of his accomplishments, but to this fan it's been a Huuuuuuge disappointment when he was on his eleven year role he was not challenged by a legend. To me, it was like watching the Yanks beat the Braves every year, not exciting.

Even when he hit the major stage in 97, there were few "veteran major winners" as Faldo was done in 96 and Norman before that. A few squeakers like Janzen & OMeara won multiple majors during Tigers lore, but I would not compare those very good players to the arsenal that Jack was up against. Jack was great in an era full of legends.

Goose, I'm interested in how you see Tiger changing the game. My belief he won mostly for his secret weapon, his short game, but he was well known more for his power, which to me was more technology available vs individual skill.

If I really wanted to "play dirty" I'd bring up his clutch performances in the eh....uh....Ryder....uh eh....long questionable list including 2013 Players, eh...uh....do I really want to...I honestly don't hate him, but think Jacks record is more sacred than 714....

Sorry, you are right, tomorrow is about Mr Spieth....

His short game was unparalleled, you are right. But his drive...his work ethic...and the savagery of his swing. He made everyone work harder than ever before. As for who he competed against, Ernie Els, Freddy Couples, Phil Mickleson, Retief Goosen, Jim Furyk, VJ Singh (remember his epic run of wins?)...all big time multiple winners.

Here's a Bleacher Report article on the competition myth. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/41740-jack-nicklaus-vs-tiger-woods-who-faces-tougher-competition

• Like 1

He did make everyone work harder, very true. Had he concentrated more on cardio and less on looking like the terminator, he would probably have the major record by now.

That is true that fields are deeper in Tiger's era. The article is good and I agree with the conclusion, it's tough to compare eras. The 19 second place finishes for Jack, to me speaks volumes as to how dominant he was. I am not comfortable diminishing Arnie, Lee, Tom, Gary, et al because guys like JB Holmes are better than the 30th best golfer in 1975. Tom should have won a major anyway in the Tiger era ;)

If we had the greatest golfer of all time on the US team (well technically we have 1 or 2), would we be consistently getting trounced by Europe? If the US tour were so deep and Tiger 5-0 each time, wouldn't we have won more often during the Tiger era? It's a tough question, because in Jacks era, they didnt have to face all of Europe. But if we had such a huge weapon, we should have won more often with Tiger going 5-0 or 4-1 every time. And Phil, too. How I wish Phil won at Winged Foot, alas, another day....

But for me the biggest disappointment is that when Tiger was on, no one pushed him. Most will attribute that to his greatness, but to me, where are all his major 4th round come from behind victories? The greatest of all time should win from behind....often. I don't say that to trash him, I say it as a fan, that was looking for that type of excitement on a major Sunday, and it just didn't happen in Tigers era. Maybe we will get that later today!

This all may be moot, as Air Jordan may win 30 majors. Hope I'm alive to see it. Sorry Jordan for engaging this during your time, but a TRF legend asked if anyone had something to say about Tiger. Please beat him every major now til he retires ;)

I think Phil can and will win. The pressure got to Spieth, late, yesterday, although he did make a par on the 18th, somehow. Nick Faldo was damn near speechless after that amazing pitch shot. But, Phil's short game will come into play today. I hope they put the pins in the "extreme" or "expert" location and make the course as hard as possible.
  • Like 1

I think Phil can and will win. The pressure got to Spieth, late, yesterday, although he did make a par on the 18th, somehow. Nick Faldo was damn near speechless after that amazing pitch shot. But, Phil's short game will come into play today. I hope they put the pins in the "extreme" or "expert" location and make the course as hard as possible.

One thing they don't want to see is a minus 20. So, the pin placements will be tough today, as they usually are on Sunday anyway.

I hope you are right Ayn Rand. There is one sentence though I'd never say ;)

So many times rooted Phil on Masters Sunday. Hope he has another Muirfield in him.

If greens keep holding, they can put the pins in the fringe and Speith may yet reach -20.

So far not one low score on the course of anyone who has finished the front or even 7 or 8 holes. Interesting. Dyn-o-mite 3 under through 5 but thats it...

If we had the greatest golfer of all time on the US team (well technically we have 1 or 2), would we be consistently getting trounced by Europe? If the US tour were so deep and Tiger 5-0 each time, wouldn't we have won more often during the Tiger era?

Wrong road to go down. I almost brought up the improved quality of the international field, but didn't. Glad that you did. Tiger had to compete against a much deeper global field that didn't include the likes of Choking Greg Norman. :P But either way, the accomplishments of Jack and Tiger occupy a rare place in the world of athletic competition. To be head and shoulders above your competition when your competition consists of the absolute best at your sport is something special indeed.

Hey, nice to have another female posting about the PGA! :cheers:

• Like 1

Except it's a guy...

Except it's a guy...

??? it says gender female... or am I missing something?

Except it's a guy...

No, you read it right. But unless I'm confused, it's the poster formerly known as Aikenrooster...and I always thought he was a guy. So now I'm confused...

Except it's a guy...

Says female from where I am sitting. Not that I typically notice that kind of stuff but... :codger: