Grace Under Pressure DVD

Lorraine

My only problem with this fantastic DVD is that it is only part of the show. I wish they would put the 80s stuff out as complete shows.

Yeah that would be nice. Only problem I have with it is the bass tone kinda sucks, but then the Steinberger was more for it's streamlined shape rather than it's sound.

I agree. Having owned one in the past (see avatar) I agree with the dull sound of the Steinberger. Well balanced and easy to play, but not the best sound.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if two concerts were spliced together for this dvd?

I'm asking because at the beginning of The Weapon and during YYZ, it looks like it might be.

I know that many of the songs were cut from the full length concert, so maybe they were spliced together strangely?

ASOH is more than one night though for sure.

I don't know about the two different shows idea- I thought in the credits (in the packaging, printed), it only cites one show, but I could be imagining things. I'll have to watch it again.

And I think they played everything at a faster pace during that era, yes. Not only had they eschewed the longer jamming characteristic of the seventies, but the songs they were including in their sets at that time were played with the rather spartan economy characteristic of the early to mid 80s. The shows in general were shorter in length I think, due to that.

Almost everything I've seen for the Signals tour bootlegs is super fast. Digital Man comes to mind. Geddy's hands must've been falling off at the end :D

And that show was all filmed on one night. September 21, 1984

Any lucky soul here at that show? :popcorn:

Judging by this post, I take it this is another really good DVD?!

Oh hell yeah man, it's killer!

The separation of the instruments is so nice and clean, nothing drowns anything else out.

Geddy's voice is awesome

The Fear trilogy!

Neil's crazy drumstick flips during The Weapon

Count Floyd!

Vital Signs encore!

Neil's rat tail!

Alex's Flock of Seagulls hair!

Geddy's Alice from the Brady Bunch hair!

Who wouldn't like this show? :D

• Like 2

Yeah, ASOH and S&A Live are the two that were spliced together from two shoots on back to back nights. S&A is much harder to tell, no obvious black guitar/white guitar flips and such, but there are some places where you can clearly tell. Like with the snake on Geddy's keyboard.

"I don't watch it much cause i really don't dig p/g to much.

Mick"

Why is my quote function not working?

Anyway, not to argue but there are only 3 GUP songs on it. That's about 1 more than they still play at a show to this day.

That reminds me. I'll never forget telling a friend, and Rush fan, about the first show (of five) I saw on the TFE tour the day after. I told him about all of 2112 and Natural Science and how well they were playing and he was kicking himself for not going but said he didn't go because he only liked 2 songs on TFE, I forgot which they were but they were both played on the tour. That means he chose not to go because of about 4 remaining new songs out of a 3 hour show. It just makes no sense. Do some people actually think that an album's tour is just the new album played straight through and that's it? Because that's not the only time I've heard of people doing that. Just weird.

Edited by snowdog2112
  • Like 1

And that show was all filmed on one night. September 21, 1984

Any lucky soul here at that show? :popcorn:

Judging by this post, I take it this is another really good DVD?!

Oh hell yeah man, it's killer!

The separation of the instruments is so nice and clean, nothing drowns anything else out.

Geddy's voice is awesome

The Fear trilogy!

Neil's crazy drumstick flips during The Weapon

Count Floyd!

Vital Signs encore!

Neil's rat tail!

Alex's Flock of Seagulls hair!

Geddy's Alice from the Brady Bunch hair!

Who wouldn't like this show? :D

Geddy's hair was at its best. A shag I would have died for back then. I don't have the type of hair that could pull that cut off. Neil was at his most handsome. And Alex was a bundle of energy with his leg kicks and hops. Can you see him doing that today? :)

Along with Exit...Stage Left, Grace Under Pressure is the best concert dvd.

"I don't watch it much cause i really don't dig p/g to much.

Mick"

Why is my quote function not working?

Anyway, not to argue but there are only 3 GUP songs on it. That's about 1 more than they still play at a show to this day.

That is exactly what I thought. What does the album have to do with the dvd? There are hardly any songs from it.

I don't know about the two different shows idea- I thought in the credits (in the packaging, printed), it only cites one show, but I could be imagining things. I'll have to watch it again.

And I think they played everything at a faster pace during that era, yes. Not only had they eschewed the longer jamming characteristic of the seventies, but the songs they were including in their sets at that time were played with the rather spartan economy characteristic of the early to mid 80s. The shows in general were shorter in length I think, due to that.

Almost everything I've seen for the Signals tour bootlegs is super fast. Digital Man comes to mind. Geddy's hands must've been falling off at the end :D

I love Digital Man and I love Geddy and his little bass in that song. I often wonder if he has calluses on his fingers from playing without a pick.

I love Digital Man and I love Geddy and his little bass in that song. I often wonder if he has calluses on his fingers from playing without a pick.

I can pretty much guarantee that yes he does. On both hands.

• Like 2

I can pretty much guarantee that yes he does. On both hands.

That's what I was going to say. Anyone who plays regularly will have callouses on the fretting hand, but the picking fingers, too, with those wide bass strings...yes, indeed.

• Like 1

"You and me both. I don't understand why they cut Jacob's Ladder from the ESL dvd."

Again, quoting didn't work.

Anyway, Jacob's Ladder was not cut from the ESL video. It wasn't even played on that tour. If in some miracle we get the full show someday, sorry to say but JL would not be on it. What you hear on the album was recorded in Scotland on the Permanent Waves tour.

"You and me both. I don't understand why they cut Jacob's Ladder from the ESL dvd."

Again, quoting didn't work.

Anyway, Jacob's Ladder was not cut from the ESL video. It wasn't even played on that tour. If in some miracle we get the full show someday, sorry to say but JL would not be on it. What you hear on the album was recorded in Scotland on the Permanent Waves tour.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. :)

Sorry for the bad news, what was originally side 2 (of the original 4 ESL album sides) was recorded in Scotland on the previous tour. That includes A Passage to Bangkok, Closer to the Heart, Beneath Between and Behind, and Jacob's Ladder. And of course many of the other songs that are on the video are not the same performances on the album. It was recorded all over. The ESL, ASOH, and DS live albums all contain tracks from the tour previous to the main one they document. I don't think that's commonly known. Also be aware that Vital Signs was intended to be on the ESL album but was cut for space but it WAS officially released as the B-side to the New World Man single. One of the few official releases not on album or CD along with the two 1973 singles.
  • Like 1

Sorry for the bad news, what was originally side 2 (of the original 4 ESL album sides) was recorded in Scotland on the previous tour. That includes A Passage to Bangkok, Closer to the Heart, Beneath Between and Behind, and Jacob's Ladder. And of course many of the other songs that are on the video are not the same performances on the album. It was recorded all over. The ESL, ASOH, and DS live albums all contain tracks from the tour previous to the main one they document. I don't think that's commonly known. Also be aware that Vital Signs was intended to be on the ESL album but was cut for space but it WAS officially released as the B-side to the New World Man single. One of the few official releases not on album or CD along with the two 1973 singles.

You seem to know a lot, so maybe you can tell me whether Jacob's Ladder was intended for Permanent Waves, or whether it was a song left over and intended for one of their later seventies albums. It seems out of place to me on Permanent Waves.

Well, they discuss it being partway finished in 1979 so I think it was definitely written for Permanent Waves. Parts of Natural Science were originally going to be used in the aborted Sir Gawain piece as well. But you're right, Jacob's Ladder and Natural Science both have more in common with the previous couple albums, and not just because of their length.

I play bass off and on over 20 years and I have them.

Most certainly he does. He can probably tap on glass and shatter it in fact!

P/G was the shortest show of all from at least 81-2012. It was an hour and 45 minutes. At the Toronto Signals tour shows they played fast and then slow then fast... Neil tended to rush. At the Toronto Power Windows tour show they were playing Tom Sawyer fast and a drummer friend said he didn't think Neil could play the drum break at that speed, but right before it he sloiwed it down and Alex and Geddy clicked right in. He said it would have been a train wreck if they were not paying attention.

Here's a question for you and Eagle and all of the bass players here. How many blisters did you suffer through until the skin toughened?

Here's a question for you and Eagle and all of the bass players here. How many blisters did you suffer through until the skin toughened?

I can't remember a single one to be honest. I remember my fingertips hurt a bit for awhile and then they.... didn't :D

Only one time ever maybe 2 years ago did I ever have an injury scare. I was playing and all of the sudden my fret wrist started to hurt really bad. It was so bad I couldn't hold the strings down enough to play the notes correctly. It only lasted a few hours or so but oh man that SUCKED. I thought I was done for. I can't imagine those people who've had career-ending injuries and can't play music anymore (prime example: Phil Collins can't play drums anymore since his spine is so screwed up from playing for 50+ years).