What did you all think of snakes and arrows dvd??

nicky6

All this talk of slow tempo's reminded me why i don't like this version of Bangkok.

Yea you're are the train.......just......move faster, lol

Mick

Yeah, and it didn't help that Neil half-a**ed it.

• Like 2

All this talk of slow tempo's reminded me why i don't like this version of Bangkok.

Mick

I'm sure Neil demanded they play it at such a slow tempo. He hates that song, he's surely embarrassed of the lyrics. He completely neutered the drum part; his little way of getting back at all the fans who love the song! :LOL: Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Mick

I'm sure Neil demanded they play it at such a slow tempo. He hates that song, he's surely embarrassed of the lyrics. He completely neutered the drum part; his little way of getting back at all the fans who love the song! :LOL:

If ya hate it Neil........simple answer leave it out, lol. Unless he was out voted, lol

Ahh democracy.

Mick

• Like 1

Loved this one. I like Snakes and Arrows, and the deep cuts like Witch Hunt (at the time it was a deep cut), Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances, Bangkok, the list goes on. Other good live tracks such as Secret Touch and Between The Wheels didn't hurt either.

Great post!! It said it all for me. Very good tour and very good DVD. Of course, Rush in Rio was better but (IMO) that DVD was better than most concert DVD's (and yes, that takes into account the video quality) so thats hardly a knock of S & A.

The S & A DVD is better than the last 2 concert DVD's and better than R30 as well.

Loved this one. I like Snakes and Arrows, and the deep cuts like Witch Hunt (at the time it was a deep cut), Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances, Bangkok, the list goes on. Other good live tracks such as Secret Touch and Between The Wheels didn't hurt either.

Great post!! It said it all for me. Very good tour and very good DVD. Of course, Rush in Rio was better but (IMO) that DVD was better than most concert DVD's (and yes, that takes into account the video quality) so thats hardly a knock of S & A.

The S & A DVD is better than the last 2 concert DVD's and better than R30 as well.

I agree and I think that it's the last great DVD we're going to get from them. I hope I'm wrong but with the state of Geds voice I think it's only going to get worse.

• Like 2

I agree and I think that it's the last great DVD we're going to get from them. I hope I'm wrong but with the state of Geds voice I think it's only going to get worse.

He's gonna hit that wall where he physically can't go........sad to say it's fast approaching, IMO

Mick

• Like 2

He's gonna hit that wall where he physically can't go........sad to say it's fast approaching, IMO

Mick

Most of the time he doesn't even sound like himself anymore. When he relaxes his throat and sings without pushing he sounds better, but I think voice lessons even at this stage in the game would help.

• Like 2

Three less S&A songs and it would have been great, otherwise good. The bonus songs were done well but were brought down by Ged's struggling voice. As others have been saying, I hope they catch on and record early if they record at all. Edited by Shemp

Mick

Sadly I agree with you. That being said, when I saw them at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on the 1'st leg of the CA tour I was very impressed with his voice. Shocked is more like it. I thought it was the best I had heard him since at least the 1'st leg of the S & A tour. Possibly the best I had heard since R30. Perhaps he just had a really good night. Even when I saw them on the 2'nd leg of the tour at SPAC I thought his voice was ok. Perhaps he just had a bad night when they filmed the DVD. If so, its rotten luck because the same thing would seem to have happened when they filmed the TMT (IMO).

Given a choice between seeing them live again and experiencing more of his declining voice or just more studio albums I would vote for the latter. I have seen them live 9 times and have plenty of live CD's and DVD's. Let me remember them live as they were and let them just give us more studio work where they can work around Geddy's voice (yes, I know the $ is to be made through touring - sigh). Of course, if they do tour, (hopefully supporting a new album!) I will line up, spend my hard earned $ and hope for the best.

If they do tour and they film it for another DVD I will be hopeing that they film early in the tour when there is more chance of his voice being in decent form.

They filmed early in the 2nd leg for the TMT show. At his age, it's a crapshoot concerning his vocal quality.

That one is kind of excusable since he had a bad upper respiratory infection during part of the tour. I remember him saying he had to have his ear drained.

Loved this one. ..., and the deep cuts like Witch Hunt (at the time it was a deep cut), Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances, Bangkok, the list goes on. Other good live tracks such as Secret Touch and Between The Wheels didn't hurt either.

Right on the money! Loved The Main Monkey Business and "De Slagwerker" as well! :geddy: :haz: :ebert:

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

Loved this one. ..., and the deep cuts like Witch Hunt (at the time it was a deep cut), Digital Man, Entre Nous, Circumstances, Bangkok, the list goes on. Other good live tracks such as Secret Touch and Between The Wheels didn't hurt either.

Right on the money! Loved The Main Monkey Business and "De Slagwerker as well! :geddy: :haz: :ebert:

I freakin' love The Main Monkey Business. Best instrumental in a long time. and it smoked live.

Mick

• Like 3

Right on the money! Loved The Main Monkey Business and "De Slagwerker as well! :geddy: :haz: :ebert:

I freakin' love The Main Monkey Business. Best instrumental in a long time. and it smoked live.

Mick

Totally agree with you!! The Main Monkey Business is fabulous. The only Rush instrumental I like more is La Villa. Yes, I know. I will get a lot of "What!? You like it more than YYZ??". Yes I do. Frankly I am not a huge fan of YYZ. Its ok, just nothing special.

Main Monkey Business is really good.

• Like 1

Mick

Totally agree with you!! The Main Monkey Business is fabulous. The only Rush instrumental I like more is La Villa. Yes, I know. I will get a lot of "What!? You like it more than YYZ??". Yes I do. Frankly I am not a huge fan of YYZ. Its ok, just nothing special.

I agree, YYZ is incredibly overrated
  • Like 1

Right on the money! Loved The Main Monkey Business and "De Slagwerker" as well! :geddy: :haz: :ebert:

Oops, I thought "De Slagwerker" was another name for Malignant Narcissism (hence the pic of Geddy), but I just figured out it is actually the drum solo. :facepalm: :oops:

It was the last live release on dvd that I had to have. Sound quality was good and the band was really tight. Geddy's voice was pretty solid on that show as well. I tend not to get too caught up in live material as much anymore because it's what happened over the course of a single evening. In my opinion some folks lend way too much weight to live recordings; for better or worse.

I'm not really impressed by the live recordings with American crowds. Typically they're very low energy. The Cleveland recording was only the way it was because people knew they would be on a recorded show. I remember seeing the trailer for that one and seeing the girl they show headbanging and air drumming during Tom Sawyer always makes my skin crawl.

Edited by Snyder80

Mick

I agree, YYZ is incredibly overrated

Well you guys are surely entitled to your opinions, but I, for one, whole-heartedly disagree. YYZ is one of my all-time favorites. :haz:

S&A is my favorite since I was finally able to see them live on that tour. The overall set list is killer also. Entre Nous, Digital Man, Mission, Circumstances just to start...awesome live.

It was the last live release on dvd that I had to have. Sound quality was good and the band was really tight. Geddy's voice was pretty solid on that show as well. I tend not to get too caught up in live material as much anymore because it's what happened over the course of a single evening. In my opinion some folks lend way too much weight to live recordings; for better or worse.

I'm not really impressed by the live recordings with American crowds. Typically they're very low energy. The Cleveland recording was only the way it was because people knew they would be on a recorded show. I remember seeing the trailer for that one and seeing the girl they show headbanging and air drumming during Tom Sawyer always makes my skin crawl.

Sigh. Hate to admit it, but you have an excellent point about live recordings of American Crowds. The energy levels generally suck. Esp. when compared to either (1) South American shows (e.g Rush in Rio) or (2) European shows (e.g. the latest Nightwish DVD from their show at Wacken).