Anyone here that doesn't like Hemispheres?

Lorraine

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Hemispheres?

Maybe I'll give this one more chance. I guess I'll listen to Hemispheres later on today. Why I've elected to put myself through such torture, I'll never know, but who knows?

Listen to VT if you want some ear torture first. You will appreciate the greatness that is Hemispheres all the more...

Tsk tsk tsk...

No need to go there bud! Hemispheres is great. No need to qualify it by throwing another album under the bus!

Just sayin

Understood but if the shoe fits.... ;)
  • Like 1

Who pays attention to lyrics? Especially when it's Neil writing them?

You mean, you don't?

I think Neil's lyrics are a big part of what makes Rush :rush:.

Yes, I love the majority of his lyrics. Especally the stuff post-Hemispheres. Some of them are very creative and insightful. Presto has some of his best lyrical work (minus the "cheesy" parts).

Maybe I'll give this one more chance. I guess I'll listen to Hemispheres later on today. Why I've elected to put myself through such torture, I'll never know, but who knows?

Listen to VT if you want some ear torture first. You will appreciate the greatness that is Hemispheres all the more...

Actually, I love Vapor Trails.

Anyway…the final verdict, Hemispheres still sucks. I just…can't get into it. Geddy starts singing, and then you've lost me. So, there.

No hope then but we all have our own opinions. Enjoy.... :)
  • Like 2

I stopped when all he seemed to care to do was whine about religion. and he's like.....stuck there.

Mick

I don't like being preached at or to by anyone. Especially by a rocker.

• Like 1

I stopped when all he seemed to care to do was whine about religion. and he's like.....stuck there.

Mick

His bashing religion phase does have a few really well done moments. But I agree for the most part. His lyrical ingenuity did decline a bit after Presto but there a few gems scattered about here and there. Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Totem, Earthshine, Armor & Sword, The Anarchist, are a few examples.

Edited by savagegrace26

Anyway…the final verdict, Hemispheres still sucks. I just…can't get into it. Geddy starts singing, and then you've lost me. So, there.

VT is brilliant. the most creative wonderf...... :laughing guy: God i can't say it with a straight face, Narps, lol

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Good thing you don't live in the south ;)

• Like 2

I see that the great debate about Hemispheres continues.

Shrill? I don't get that. Certainly not in comparison with...well, all of the Rush albums that preceded it. Leaving histrionics aside, Geddy became a much better singer, technically speaking, in the 80s and beyond- and I think that began in earnest with the generally more compact songcraft that was found on Permanent Waves.

But then (again, from a technical standpoint), Hemispheres has some of the best of Geddy, to my ears- the most controlled and perfected wails he ever produced on record. I love every single note.

And I agree with those who've said let's not judge the quality of a Rush album on the qualities of Geddy's voice alone. There's a lot more going on in there than that. And it is...gloooorious.

I'll say it again- it would take a monolith to change the fact that Hemispheres (and Hold Your Fire) is (are) my (two) favorite Rush album(s).

:)

• Like 1

Mick

You go up higher and higher in my esteem daily (except Sundays :LOL:) ... :)
  • Like 1

Mick

His bashing religion phase does have a few really well done moments. But I agree for the most part. His lyrical ingenuity did decline a bit after Presto but there a few gems scattered about here and there. Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Totem, Earthshine, Armor & Sword, The Anarchist, are a few examples.

This I agree with.

Mick

BU2B is the worst to me......it's like dude grow up.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

VT is brilliant. the most creative wonderf...... :laughing guy: God i can't say it with a straight face, Narps, lol

Mick

Maybe Mick really is Segue too. :unsure:

• Like 1

Mick

BU2B is the worst to me......it's like dude grow up.

Mick

I like the saracstic vibe and the way Geddy phrases everything. If you're "religious" or whatever I guess you're going to view it differently though. I see nothing "childish" about it.

I see that the great debate about Hemispheres continues.

Shrill? I don't get that. Certainly not in comparison with...well, all of the Rush albums that preceded it. Leaving histrionics aside, Geddy became a much better singer, technically speaking, in the 80s and beyond- and I think that began in earnest with the generally more compact songcraft that was found on Permanent Waves.

But then (again, from a technical standpoint), Hemispheres has some of the best of Geddy, to my ears- the most controlled and perfected wails he ever produced on record. I love every single note.

And I agree with those who've said let's not judge the quality of a Rush album on the qualities of Geddy's voice alone. There's a lot more going on in there than that. And it is...gloooorious.

I'll say it again- it would take a monolith to change the fact that Hemispheres (and Hold Your Fire) is (are) my (two) favorite Rush album(s).

Agreed. Interesting that your two favorites are very different stylistically. I have discovered HYF only in recent months but I think it is very good save the last two songs. The first eight are very strong. On that subject if many of their later recordings were 40 minutes or there a bouts and they recorded only the "good" songs and left the cheese off they would go up miles in my book....

Mick

Maybe Mick really is Segue too. :unsure:

Don't worry. If you put a gun to my head and said enjoy VT.....yea i'd be dead.

;)

Mick

Who could prefer Chain Lightning to Hemispheres?

Me

That's too bad.

Chain Lightning doesn't cause headaches like Hemipsheres does.

Hemispheres always CURES my headaches...it has a knack for bringing balance to my brain :LOL:
  • Like 4

Me

That's too bad.

Hemispheres always CURES my headaches...it has a knack for bringing balance to my brain :LOL:

I don't see how a spaceship entering your brain with a little man yelling a "silent scream" could cure a headache.

Me

That's too bad.

I don't see how a spaceship entering your brain with a little man yelling a "silent scream" could cure a headache.

Silence is golden.