The GUN thread

physics23

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 21 2010, 06:28 AM)
QUOTE (ForceTen @ Dec 18 2010, 01:36 PM)
Very nice Cygnus!

Present to myself:

Remington 870 Express Super Mag

I'm going to pick up a couple of slug barrels.  One for deer hunting, the other as short as I can make it for home protection.

Awesome, brother! I cut my shotgunner's eyeteeth on an 870. Very nice weapon!

thanks, Jack. This is my first shotgun I've owned. I've shot a coupleof others previously. but, never owned. Primarily for hunting, so I can do both bow and firearms hunting. After I get my barrels, I'm going to look for a nice bolt action. I was looking at both Remington 700 and Savage equivalent in a 30-06. But, I saw a Tikka somewhere and it looks like it puts both the Rem and Savage to shame. It's a Finnish company that does very high end, and that's their new "entry level" rifles I guess.

I'll have to check out what you posted later for the picture. I'm on a text only browser so no pictures for me at the moment....

I have an 870 in the gun safe I gave to my oldest a few Christmases ago.

Picked it up at a pawn shop..great shape and shoots good to...used it on my turkey hunt last year...

Another gift this year to my son-in-law will be getting a Ruger P95 9mm

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/RushForum/13009.jpg

Very nice Cygnus!

Present to myself:

I'm going to pick up a couple of slug barrels. One for deer hunting, the other as short as I can make it for home protection.

I've dropped many deer with my 870 12 gauge. It's a nice gun for the money.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Dec 23 2010, 01:53 PM)
Very nice Cygnus!

Present to myself:

I'm going to pick up a couple of slug barrels.  One for deer hunting, the other as short as I can make it for home protection.

I've dropped many deer with my 870 12 gauge. It's a nice gun for the money.

Thanks to you and Cygnus. For the price, I don't think it can be beat. Others of equivalent quality seem to be 30-50% higher in price starting. I've looked at Mossbergs, Benelli's, etc. For what I want, the 870 seemed like the perfect shotgun. Not to mention there seems to be more components available for it than others.

Hopefully I can pick up a slug barrel soon and get to an indoor range so I can get it broken in before skeet opens up. Now to find a range to join...

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Dec 23 2010, 02:40 PM)
Picked it up at a pawn shop..great shape and shoots good to...used it on my turkey hunt last year...

A true Christmas gift

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/RushForum/272.jpg

QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 1 2011, 07:55 AM)

A true Christmas gift

That's quite a coincidence...we gave our son a check to buy (in his home state) a P95 for Christmas new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He wants the all black model that your s-i-l recieved.

I gave me my pistol early in November and have shot about 200 rounds in it. It throws the cheap practice ammo niceley. yes.gif

QUOTE (Spindrift @ Jan 1 2011, 02:57 PM)
QUOTE (Cygnus @ Jan 1 2011, 07:55 AM)

A true Christmas gift

That's quite a coincidence...we gave our son a check to buy (in his home state) a P95 for Christmas new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif He wants the all black model that your s-i-l recieved.

I gave me my pistol early in November and have shot about 200 rounds in it. It throws the cheap practice ammo niceley. yes.gif

You know what they say about great minds trink39.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ Jan 3 2011, 03:28 PM)
Got a 22 for christmas smile.gif

Rifle or pistol? What make? Got pics?

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Dec 23 2010, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 21 2010, 06:32 AM)
This one's next for me:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/Coach.jpg

Cimarron 1878 12 gauge Coach Gun.

trink39.gif

Looks pretty cool. Wall hanger, or reenactment?

I'm considering getting into Cowboy Action Shooting.

However, I've postponed getting the coach gun for now as my local gunshop just put their custom tuned Ruger 10/22's on sale so I put one on layaway yesterday and since I'm thinking about shooting Appleseed this year, this will be the perfect rifle for the job. I want that Rifleman patch!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

In case any of you are curious about the abovementioned Appleseed Project, then click here! Find a shoot in your area, register, and attend! Tell your friends and make it a group thing! $70 for two days of professional rifle marksmanship instruction is an absolute steal.

I bought the 10/22 to shoot Appleseed because I read an article about it a while ago that said the 10/22 is the most prevalent rifle used at the shoots and it was the author's opinion that it was the best rifle to use for it. I also bought it because I don't have any other rifles that shoot .22. laugh.gif

There is a shoot this weekend here and the next one is in Feb which I am hopping to get into. I have a Rem 597 I will use, they say a semi auto is best . Also it needs a sling. Got some work to do to it I guess. I too want that patch!! Edited by ridertoo98

QUOTE (ridertoo98 @ Jan 8 2011, 12:43 PM)
There is a shoot this weekend here and the next one is in Feb which I am hopping to get into. I have a Rem 597 I will use, they say a semi auto is best . Also it needs a sling. Got some work to do to it I guess. I too want that patch!!

Cool, man! Good luck and keep 'em in the 10-ring!

I'm gonna need a mil-type sling for my rifle (I'll probably get an Uncle Mike's since they're cheapest and still good quality), too, and I'm also not sure if it comes with sling swivels (I decided to order a new 10/22 instead of buying the ones that my gunstore had on sale because those were used) so I need to call them and check.

I'm going to my local shoot in March since I've two friends as well as my Father-in-law who want to go and my Father-in-law says he's too damn old to shoot in cold weather anymore! laugh.gif

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 5 2011, 11:45 AM)
QUOTE (Good @ bad,andrush,Jan 3 2011, 03:28 PM)
Got a 22 for christmas smile.gif

Rifle or pistol? What make? Got pics?

Don't have pics, but it's a rifle.

I'll see if I can get pics up, but trust me, it's really hard to get pics of anything on here. Don't ask why :/

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 9 2011, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 9 2011, 01:27 PM)

I'm gonna need a mil-type sling for my rifle

This is the best military sling on the market:

Magpul Multi-mission Sling

I've got one one my M4. It's flawless.

Thanks for that! trink39.gif I might buy two, one for my 10/22 and one for my DPMS M4.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 10 2011, 09:43 AM)
QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Jan 9 2011, 03:07 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 9 2011, 01:27 PM)

I'm gonna need a mil-type sling for my rifle

This is the best military sling on the market:

Magpul Multi-mission Sling

I've got one one my M4. It's flawless.

Thanks for that! trink39.gif I might buy two, one for my 10/22 and one for my DPMS M4.

No problem, my friend. trink39.gif

Been a while since I popped in here. Got my 14 yr old boy his first rifle for Christmas this year. My wife said it was a big waste of money but he loves it!

Got him a 10/22, lots of accessories available etc. He already spent his own money on a scope, sling and extra mags. Makes his daddy proud. Now he wants a bigger caliber too!

Been to the range 3 times already. brought his friend (parents are big libs) and they had a blast! Brought the AR-15 and PS-90 just to WOW 'em. I love converting people!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 5 2011, 10:49 AM)

However, I've postponed getting the coach gun for now as my local gunshop just put their custom tuned Ruger 10/22's on sale so I put one on layaway yesterday and since I'm thinking about shooting Appleseed this year, this will be the perfect rifle for the job. I want that Rifleman patch!

Gotcha. Figured I'd post here so as to not get mixed up in the other thread.

Never done an Appleseed, but have known about them for a couple of years. Friend of mine attended a couple and he really enjoys them. I'm saving up for a .22 as well. I do have one already, but not sure how well it is as it's a 35+ year old Armalite AR-7. Thinking of a Ruger. But, also considering something else.

Going to be an expensive year. IDPA, Appleseed, Bow hunting, shotgun hunting... That's not counting the Remington 700 nor AR/M I'm planning on either.

Add in motorcycle racing and I won't have enough to pay my bills. wacko.gif

I'm kidding! Of course I'm responsible and pay my bills! wink.gif

QUOTE (briremo @ Jan 10 2011, 10:57 PM)
Been a while since I popped in here. Got my 14 yr old boy his first rifle for Christmas this year. My wife said it was a big waste of money but he loves it!

Got him a 10/22, lots of accessories available etc. He already spent his own money on a scope, sling and extra mags. Makes his daddy proud. Now he wants a bigger caliber too!

Been to the range 3 times already. brought his friend (parents are big libs) and they had a blast! Brought the AR-15 and PS-90 just to WOW 'em. I love converting people!

Awesome! Congrats, man!

And you're right, there aren't many feelings that are better than the one you get from turning a hoplophobe into an enthusiast. I've always said that if we could just show people who have no firearms experience that guns are not scary but actually fun, it would make things better.

If anyone who reads this ever finds themselves in South Carolina and wants to go shooting, PM me and I'll take you and I promise you'll enjoy it. We'll start with my .22 pistol and go from there.

QUOTE (ForceTen @ Jan 11 2011, 09:19 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 5 2011, 10:49 AM)

Gotcha. Figured I'd post here so as to not get mixed up in the other thread.

Never done an Appleseed, but have known about them for a couple of years. Friend of mine attended a couple and he really enjoys them. I'm saving up for a .22 as well. I do have one already, but not sure how well it is as it's a 35+ year old Armalite AR-7. Thinking of a Ruger. But, also considering something else.

Going to be an expensive year. IDPA, Appleseed, Bow hunting, shotgun hunting... That's not counting the Remington 700 nor AR/M I'm planning on either.

Add in motorcycle racing and I won't have enough to pay my bills. wacko.gif

I'm kidding! Of course I'm responsible and pay my bills! wink.gif

You're gonna shoot IDPA?! I hope to see you on Shooting USA one day! If you ever meet Jerry Michaluk will you get me his autograph? biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 8 2011, 01:40 PM)
In case any of you are curious about the abovementioned Appleseed Project, then click here! Find a shoot in your area, register, and attend! Tell your friends and make it a group thing! $70 for two days of professional rifle marksmanship instruction is an absolute steal.

I bought the 10/22 to shoot Appleseed because I read an article about it a while ago that said the 10/22 is the most prevalent rifle used at the shoots and it was the author's opinion that it was the best rifle to use for it. I also bought it because I don't have any other rifles that shoot .22. laugh.gif

Friend of mine who I work with, his son in law just became an instructor for Appleseed recently. Looks like fun, need to do one sometime.