Remembering first getting into rush VHS'S

nicky6

I remmeber when i first became a fan and was really getting to know the band and check out their past, i would to the local video store (circula 1995), and i rented ..exit stage left and through the camera eye it was cool and copied both of them on real good Blank tapes. Then i went 2 towns over and rented the grace under pressure tour video and got that too. Good times.. Surprised that even in 1995 video stores still rented music videos.. Edited by nicky6

I have the VHS tapes for "A Show Of Hands" and "Chronicles" somewhere. I also had an illustrated book that is now out of print, but that's gone somewhere. I think the garage eats things.

That's too bad, from what I've heard the VHS of ASOH has the best sound out of all of the formats.

Then again, the only source for that it can remember is Pasta Boy, so take that as you wish.

Edited by len(songs)

I have the VHS tapes for "A Show Of Hands" and "Chronicles" somewhere. I also had an illustrated book that is now out of print, but that's gone somewhere. I think the garage eats things.

That's too bad, from what I've heard the VHS of ASOH has the best sound out of all of the formats.

Then again, the only source for that it can remember is Pasta Boy, so take that as you wish.

You're right. He did say that. He mentioned Red Barchetta as an example if I remember correctly. Scratch that. Red Barchetta isn't on A Show of Hands. :ph34r:

I think Troutman has a copy of it too.

Edited by Lorraine

I fondly remember renting the "Exit Stage Left" VHS tape (probably around 1983) and was totally in bleep'n awe of it. I hadn't seen the band live yet (my first show was on the Presto tour) and this was my first glimpse of them performing. When I eventually bought the video myself, I would play the beginning of "The Trees" over and over trying to emulate on my guitar what Alex was playing. My poor VCR never recovered from the rewind/replay.

A little off topic, but it was Blue Oyster Cult performing on Don Kirshner's rock concert that got me to buy a VCR in the first place. I had to tape that show.

• Like 1

I fondly remember renting the "Exit Stage Left" VHS tape (probably around 1983) and was totally in bleep'n awe of it. I hadn't seen the band live yet (my first show was on the Presto tour) and this was my first glimpse of them performing. When I eventually bought the video myself, I would play the beginning of "The Trees" over and over trying to emulate on my guitar what Alex was playing. My poor VCR never recovered from the rewind/replay.

A little off topic, but it was Blue Oyster Cult performing on Don Kirshner's rock concert that got me to buy a VCR in the first place. I had to tape that show.

I watched Kirshners religiously back in the day. Just praying any of "my bands" would ever be on. When Rush was on I nearly lost it. It was so different in the day. I doubt I had ever actually "seen" them ever on anything and on any format. This was 3 to 4 years prior to even seeing them live for the first time....

:codger: :codger: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this post deserves a double codger :LOL:

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I watched Kirshners religiously back in the day. Just praying any of "my bands" would ever be on. When Rush was on I nearly lost it. It was so different in the day. I doubt I had ever actually "seen" them ever on anything and on any format. This was 3 to 4 years prior to even seeing them live for the first time....

:codger: :codger: <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< this post deserves a double codger :LOL:

I remember watching it too. I love that show. Midnight Special was another one.

I remember watching it too. I love that show. Midnight Special was another one.

That one too. I rarely missed either one. I recall the Midnight Special being more "popular" stuff and Kirshners actually having rock acts I wanted to see from time to time. I am old and could be misrecollecting however.... :)

The first VHS tape I ever owned was Exit Stage Left. It was the first gift my girlfriend (now wife) gave me. I didn't even own a VCR. I would rent one to watch it! 30+ years later, I still have that tape and that sweet lady!! Edited by mandydog

On VHS, I have the Exit..Stage Left and Show Of Hands. I also have a VHS of the Grace Under Pressure video which I recorded off of MTV (unfortunately you are stuck with the MTV logo in the corner). I also have a Rush Rarities VHS tape which I bought from a bootleg guy (who I also bought multiple bootleg tapes from). The rarities VHS had the Kirshner Rock Concert footage, the Farwell To Kings and Xanadu kimonos videos, plus a bunch of interviews.

That ESL video was probably watched 100 times.

• Like 1

The rarities VHS had the Kirshner Rock Concert footage, the Farwell To Kings and Xanadu kimonos videos, plus a bunch of interviews.

That was my first bootleg video. Paid $35 for it in the mid '80s and boy did it suck. Horribly high generation, but I had never seen anything on that video before. Took me a few years to upgrade the quality of that stuff and now most of it has been officially released.

I think I still have the damn thing. Not even sure why.