The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

Statement from David Bowie's family...

THANK YOU

The family of David Bowie is currently making arrangements for a private ceremony celebrating the memory of their beloved husband, father and friend.

They ask once again that their privacy be respected at this most sensitive of times.

We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the love and support shown throughout the world.

However, it is important to note that while the concerts and tributes planned for the coming weeks are all welcome, none are official memorials organized or endorsed by the family.

Just as each and every one of us found something unique in David's music, we welcome everyone’s celebration of his life as they see fit.

• Like 2

So I told my dad to get Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, or Blackstar in light of David Bowie's death. I'm not sure if he's ordered one yet, so what I want to know is, for someone and his dad who have never had a Bowie album before, but have always known and liked many of the hits, would one of those three be a good place to start? (I've already heard and loved a couple tracks off Blackstar by the way). Should I have suggested something else? Let's Dance? Heroes? Space Oddity? A greatest hits? What do you think?

Hunky Dory and Ziggy are good places to start. I'm just gonna throw out a recommendation for my favorite too...Station to Station. Pretty much a flawless album to me.

Its kind of like Permanent Waves. 6 tracks, not a lot of room to put a crap song on.

• Like 1

At this moment, Blackstar is my favorite David Bowie album of all-time. Again, it's not easy to not judge this album in the shadow of Bowie's death. And I think that's the point. I consider it one of "those" albums. An all-time great. A freakin' masterpiece through and through.
  • Like 1

At this moment, Blackstar is my favorite David Bowie album of all-time. Again, it's not easy to not judge this album in the shadow of Bowie's death. And I think that's the point. I consider it one of "those" albums. An all-time great. A freakin' masterpiece through and through.

I agree with you and I don't think it is just sentimentality.

The album truly is a masterpiece.

Farewell Thin White Duke

You were one of a kind

You made surreal art

With your eccentric mind

Goodbye Major Tom

Now you made the grade

You floated away

But your mark won’t fade

Goodnight Goblin King

Your power like absinthe

As you go forward

To your great Labyrinth

Au revoir David Bowie

A rebel in your prime

An icon for the ages

Ahead of your own time

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx153/puppetsock/david_1.jpg

• Like 2

What are some of your top Bowie albums?

1. Young Americans

2. Station To Station

3. Ziggy Stardust

4. Heroes

5. The Man Who Sold The World

6. Blackstar

7. Diamond Dogs

8. Hunky Dory

9. Let's Dance

10. The Next Day

I'm not super familiar with the rest of the Berlin trilogy or the rest of the discog (other than the 2000's music)

• Like 3

Blackstar

Station to Station

Low

Heathen

Hunky Dory

The Next Day

Lodger

Scary Monsters

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars

Heroes

Another thing that makes Bowie's passing hit so hard is the fact that he was releasing great albums late in his career. Heathen, The Next Day and Blackstar are tremendous works and Reality ain't that bad either.

• Like 3