By-Tor And The Snow Dog vs Xanadu vs Natural Science vs 2112

Cygnus 2112

Which song is best?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Which song is best?

This one's tough. By-Tor and Natural Science are both great, but for me it's between Xanadu and 2112. Xanadu I think just edges 2112. It's more refined, more complete.
  • Like 1

Sorry but you just can't beat this for awesomeness. :)

http://i.imgur.com/cU8okOD.jpg

No, you can't. If only I had been there.

You missed out! :codger: :P

If the radio stations had played Xanadu instead of Closer To The Heart, I would have been there. I've said it on here countless times already - why the FM stations chose CTTH to represent AFTK is beyond me and one of life's mysteries.

If the radio stations had played Xanadu instead of Closer To The Heart, I would have been there. I've said it on here countless times already - why the FM stations chose CTTH to represent AFTK is beyond me and one of life's mysteries.

Because today's DJs are cowards and don't have the spine to put out an 11 minute song...

• Like 1

Because today's DJs are cowards and don't have the spine to put out an 11 minute song...

I'm sixty years old. I'm talking about back in the seventies when the album came out. They never played it back then either. The only song they ever played on the radio from AFTK was Closer To The Heart.

But still, FM Radio (I think that's the right word) today or yesterday wouldn't be willing to air an 11 minute song

They played long songs on the radio back then.

Yeah they did. I remember hearing In a Gadda Da Vida on FM

• Like 2

But still, FM Radio (I think that's the right word) today or yesterday wouldn't be willing to air an 11 minute song

And they were always playing anything from Close To The Edge as well. I don't think they cared for Rush in the seventies, or maybe their palms hadn't been sufficiently greased to give Rush quality airtime.

• Like 1

During that era, FM radio was much more of an almost underground alternative to AM radio. I can see how FM stations circa 1970-'72 or so would play long songs like those. AM stations at that time played all the bubblegum pop stuff that all of radio is inundated with now. I think the shift to FM stations en masse started happening in the mid-'70s...but I was just a wee little one back then, so take my commentary for whatever you think it's worth. I'm speaking from the perspective of just being a student of broadcasting (which I once was).

:LOL: :haz: :codger:

• Like 1