Difference between Presto and Presto Remastered? (iTunes)

antiquark

What's the difference between Presto and Presto Remastered on iTunes? Is there any audible difference? They cost the same, I'm not sure which one to buy.

I recently got Roll The Bones Remastered, and I thought it was a little "tinny" sounding. However I never had the original CD, so I don't know how it's supposed to sound.

Dont buy the albums on itunes, they just destroy it by doing lousy so called remasters in lossy files, instead go and buy this one: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

I can tell you, that is a HUGE improvement, its like a another album, and the other albums also sound great!

Edited by YYZumbi

I don't get the whole "problem" with this albums production. Do I hear guitar plain as day (check). Bass (check) Drums (check) Vocals (check). I would listen to this long before anything after the turn of the century. I am going to listen to it again today just for kicks and see again if something is missing. I know distortion (noise) will be...... :)

As far as "remasters" go I haven't a clue....

Edited by Narpski

The remasters are louder, generally, and seem to have a bit more power for me, even at lower volumes.

I completely agree with Zumbi on where to buy it. If you're going to buy an album, there is no excuse for getting it on iTunes. It's usually the same price for a new copy of the CD, and you can get cheaper copies on ebay quite easily. Any advantage you get from it being remastered will be lost by the compression of the sound. If you're stuck on buying it on iTunes, you're losing so much sound that the only difference will be volume.

This is simple even without hearing the remaster.

You cannot (never mind what you saw on Mythbusters) polish a turd. The album is dreadful in the same way that shit is dreadful and scrubbing it up makes no difference to your desire to flush it away.

• Like 3

Dont buy the albums on itunes, they just destroy it by doing lousy so called remasters in lossy files, instead go and buy this one: http://www.amazon.co...&pf_rd_i=507846

I notice that Amazon provides MP3 files with that CD purchase. How is the quality on those, is it better than iTunes MP3's?

Mp3 also destroy the quality, if you want full quality buy the damn CDs!! And iTunes dosent sell mp3s, they sell something called AAC, it is a lossy file, but its a BIT upgrade to Mp3, but it is still shit and apple also do shit remasters. So buy the CDs and rip them to Flac or Apple Lossless, then you get full quality!

I notice that Amazon provides MP3 files with that CD purchase. How is the quality on those, is it better than iTunes MP3's?

Mp3 also destroy the quality, if you want full quality buy the damn CDs!! And iTunes dosent sell mp3s, they sell something called AAC, it is a lossy file, but its a BIT upgrade to Mp3, but it is still shit and apple also do shit remasters. So buy the CDs and rip them to Flac or Apple Lossless, then you get full quality!

Agreed, if you're looking for full quality you're best off buying the actual CD, then rip to FLAC. This is generally best practice.

Agreed, if you're looking for full quality you're best off buying the actual CD, then rip to FLAC. This is generally best practice.

And it's often cheaper. It's shocking to me that you'd be worrying about getting a remasters or not, without realizing that you're losing most of the sound when you get an MP3 in the first place.

I will say buy the cd's and rip them in whatever quality you want in iTunes yourself. Wether you should buy the original or remasters is your own personal choice. I prefer original recordings over remasters, because I cherish dynamic range more than loudness. Remasters can be great if you're out and about because of the added volume, but it might introduce listening fatigue when listened to over a proper stereo. Besides your stereo has a volume knob for a reason ;)

One thing I like about old recordings is that they sound better the more I turn it up - remasters and modern sounding recordings have the opposite effect on me :)

• Like 1

Agreed, if you're looking for full quality you're best off buying the actual CD, then rip to FLAC, Apple Lossless, or another lossless format. This is generally best practice.

Fixed and agreed.

As much as I love the album,

The volume level is the worst of any Rush album I have ever heard. Remastered or not. JMO.

I haven't heard Presto on CD so I'm curious about what you mean about worst volume level? Too low? Too high? :)

I agree with troutman- and for the record, it is too low.

I have no problems with the production values at all, and I like the album overall, more than most here, I think. It has a couple of clunkers, but other than that, it's a really strong record.

I had it on CD upon initial release, and I did buy the iTunes version not too long ago- remastered? Hardly. It is very quiet.

Needs more cowbell.

• Like 1

The volume level is the worst of any Rush album I have ever heard. Remastered or not. JMO.

I haven't heard Presto on CD so I'm curious about what you mean about worst volume level? Too low? Too high? :)

Too Low,

It has always drove me nuts!! If it sounded like CP it would be awesome.

Too Low,

Just turn up the volume :P

Too Low,

Just turn up the volume :P

That's my point,

Its all the way up but not loud enough. :LOL: Compared to the other albums its day and night!

I agree with troutman- and for the record, it is too low.

I have no problems with the production values at all, and I like the album overall, more than most here, I think. It has a couple of clunkers, but other than that, it's a really strong record.

I had it on CD upon initial release, and I did buy the iTunes version not too long ago- remastered? Hardly. It is very quiet.

Needs more cowbell.

The 2004 remaster and the sector remaster are just as loud as the other equivalent remasters. They've been normalized to be the same volume and are in no way quiet like the original release.

• Like 1

DEFINITELY get the remaster. The difference is ASTOUNDING. It is unbelievably CLEARER...you can actually not only HEAR but you can actually SEE and FEEL in your mind the flies swarming over your headphones at the beginning of "Available Shit." By the end of the song, when Geddy hits the phagulicious "In the Available liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" part you can actually taste undigested corn on your palate. HIGHLY recommended.

DEFINITELY get the remaster. The difference is ASTOUNDING. It is unbelievably CLEARER...you can actually not only HEAR but you can actually SEE and FEEL in your mind the flies swarming over your headphones at the beginning of "Available Shit." By the end of the song, when Geddy hits the phagulicious "In the Available liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" part you can actually taste undigested corn on your palate. HIGHLY recommended.

If you despise Rush so much, then WTF do you even hang around here?

• Like 3

He only despises Presto-S&A minus VT and plus about half of GuP and HYF.

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

And those styles of posts are getting extremely redundant and dull. The thread I posted with his reviews was the culmination of Spaghetti Lee....

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

Go len.... :cheers: I couldn't remember exactly... :LOL:

Ssshhhhhhhh

Edited by savagegrace26

I know, I'm being a bit :beathorse: about it... sorry :) it's not always conscious :(

Edited by len(songs)