Has anyone here met Neil?

bri-tor

Most of us mean him no harm. Certainly he must know that. I admire him only for his talent. If the truth be known, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for all of them.

Feel sorry for them why? They are so much better off than the majority of the people in the world and live interesting lives. There is really no reason to "feel sorry" for any of them.

I don't know...that whole thing where Neil's family died sort of sucked...

That's not why I feel sorry for him. That and worse happens to people every day. It's just life. Most don't have the money or the luxury to do what he did to recover. They just go on and deal with it.

• Like 1

Aside from meets & greets, the only "famous" musician I ever met was Jordan Rudess on the streets of Pamplona, hours before a Dream Theater show. He was very outgoing, and we chatted for a while, even though I was incredibly nervous. I couldn´t even get myself to tell him that he´s Narpski´s lookalike!

Aside from meets & greets, the only "famous" musician I ever met was Jordan Rudess on the streets of Pamplona, hours before a Dream Theater show. He was very outgoing, and we chatted for a while, even though I was incredibly nervous. I couldn´t even get myself to tell him that he´s Narpski´s lookalike!

WHO!!!!!! lolol

Most of us mean him no harm. Certainly he must know that. I admire him only for his talent. If the truth be known, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for all of them.

He is just a private dude and prefers admiration from afar. Geddy and Alex are much more approachable and can handle the fame better.

I have to believe that if Neil was just another guy, he would be just as private as he is now.

• Like 3

He is just a private dude and prefers admiration from afar. Geddy and Alex are much more approachable and can handle the fame better.

I have to believe that if Neil was just another guy, he would be just as private as he is now.

There is nothing wrong with being like that. I am like that myself in many ways and sometimes it makes my profession difficult but I deal with it and move forward. It's called individuality.

Edited by savagegrace26

Feel sorry for them why? They are so much better off than the majority of the people in the world and live interesting lives. There is really no reason to "feel sorry" for any of them.

I don't know...that whole thing where Neil's family died sort of sucked...

That's not why I feel sorry for him. That and worse happens to people every day. It's just life. Most don't have the money or the luxury to do what he did to recover. They just go on and deal with it.

That is very very true. So why do you "feel sorry" for them then?

Yes, absolutely!

Probably more so because no one would read his blogs.

And he would not have opportunities to do any interviews and interact with as many people as he does which has probably helped make him less private and more accessible than he otherwise would have been as a "regular" person.

Edited by savagegrace26

You hit the nail on the head with "most of us". The vast majority of fans are harmless, but there are kooks out there. I think Neil wrote about one of those episodes in Traveling Music. Something about a fan who found out where he was staying when they played the Pan Am Center at NMSU in Las Cruces? I get why he would always be wondering how various fan interactions are going to end up. The creep factor can be very high and I imagine they never know when it will pop up.

I also completely agree that I sometimes feel sorry for all celebrities in their having to live in the spotlight of fame 24/7. Sure, they chose the path and their are other rewards with fame (namely wealth), but I am sure they sometimes just want to have a cheeseburger and check their email, you know!?

I sometimes wonder why fans are so obsessed and think they truly know a celebrity. Sure, we know lots of things about these three particular guys because A ) they have 40 years of documented history to review and B ) even with Neil's reclusive nature, all three members of the band have been fairly open with their fans. Neil just chooses to do his communicating through writing rather than interviews or meet and greets.

That said, we really don't know them on a personal level, nor should we expect to - but can enjoy it if we ever have that moment. I have been fortunate to have met all three members of the band. Once all three together at a meet and greet type thing (long ago... Presto tour... when Neil still did those things). I have also met each one of them by accident. Neil at a gas station. Geddy at a restaurant. Alex on a golf course. I mentioned the Neil exchange earlier. With Geddy, we talked about baseball for a bit. With Alex, we joked around about how he found a golfer worse than him in me.

The truth of the matter is, even though I walked away from the formal event with a beautiful promo glossy signed by each of them (I still have it, of course, framed in my office), I much more enjoyed the human interactions I had with them. That said, those gifts of time were unexpected and not an entitlement of my fandom. It was really no different than a casual encounter with a person waiting in line at the grocery store.

• Like 2

Really, worse happens to people every day you think? What can be worse than losing your teenage daughter, your only child, followed soon after by your partner?

If you think that's the worst that could happen to a person, more power to you, but I don't share that view.

• Like 3

I'm intrigued to know what you think could be worse, I guess there are things that may be equally awful but worse, can't think of too much?

I agree. Other than physical pain I can't think of anything worse than having the people you love just ripped away like that.

• Like 1

I'm intrigued to know what you think could be worse, I guess there are things that may be equally awful but worse, can't think of too much?

I agree. Other than physical pain I can't think of anything worse than having the people you love just ripped away like that.

Emotional pain can be far worse than physical pain.

• Like 2

Emotional pain can be far worse than physical pain.

I agree.

• Like 1

You have an 8 year old daughter who is the apple of your eye (and vice versa). At the end of the day, you tuck her in bed, read her a story, kiss her goodnight, and go to bed yourself. You wake up the next day (or maybe not), but not in your room. You find yourself bound to a chair and gagged. Before you is that precious daughter lying on a cold floor, stripped of clothing. Moments later many men enter and begin to viciously rape and beat her. She screams in pain and terror, begging her attackers to stop, begging you to save her. All you can do is watch in horror. This repeats day after day.

Losing someone to death is painful, no doubt -- watching someone you love tortured to the point where you wish for their death (if only to end their suffering) is undoubtedly worse. At least in my eyes.

She said she felt sorry for all of them, not just Neil. Feel sorry for them why? Beause they're successful and wealthy and can't live like "common" people? Because they face so much critisicm? (every successful artist does). Because they're getting older and can't perform exactly the way they used to? (That happens to everyone at one time or another). There is nothing to "feel sorry" for them about.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

There is nothing to "feel sorry" for them about.

Even famous people have sadness in their lives, and are deserving of empathy.

Having empathy is not same as "feeling sorry" for someone.

"Empathy is the experience of understanding another person's condition from their perspective. You place yourself in their shoes and feel what they are feeling."

Edited by savagegrace26

You have an 8 year old daughter who is the apple of your eye (and vice versa). At the end of the day, you tuck her in bed, read her a story, kiss her goodnight, and go to bed yourself. You wake up the next day (or maybe not), but not in your room. You find yourself bound to a chair and gagged. Before you is that precious daughter lying on a cold floor, stripped of clothing. Moments later many men enter and begin to viciously rape and beat her. She screams in pain and terror, begging her attackers to stop, begging you to save her. All you can do is watch in horror. This repeats day after day.

Losing someone to death is painful, no doubt -- watching someone you love tortured to the point where you wish for their death (if only to end their suffering) is undoubtedly worse. At least in my eyes.

damn!