Has anyone here met Neil?

bri-tor

A buddy of mine met him backstage during the Kings tour. Neil was sitting on a couch.

My buddy says "can I get a picture?"

Neil : "Must I get up?"

My buddy: "No."

Neil : "Sure, go ahead."

He showed me the picture, and it was pretty cool.. You couldn't see Neil's smile under the 'stach, but you can tell he was smiling.

My buddy says that (at least then) he was rather nice.

Another friend also met him at a motorcycle shop. They both were browsing the shop.

The friend recognized him, but did make that apparent. They talked about motorcycles and where they ride.

Apparently, if you don't treat him like a god, and instead talk about motorcycles, or cooking or literature, you can have a warm conversation. It sounds like he just wants to be treated like a normal guy.

Here's the pic of my buddy with Neil.

http://macgamegeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/neilonthecouch.jpg

That is so awesome! :codger: :haz:

To me,

He seems to want it both ways as far as fame goes. I can respect that. If I saw him and had a chance to talk to him. I would have to think about it before approaching him. It would be a nice complement and I would leave it at that. Now Geddy and Alex that would be another thing. :LOL:

Neil probably looked at your friend an thought "Hmmm...how about writing a song about nerds and how oppressed they are? I shall call it (rolls mustache)...Subdivisions".

Maybe so - I am pretty sure Neil would include himself in that group of oppressed nerds as well.

Jimbo, how old is that young man today? It is wonderful that he saw them during the AFTK tour.

He is in is early 50s now.

• Like 1

A buddy of mine met him backstage during the Kings tour. Neil was sitting on a couch.

He showed me the picture, and it was pretty cool.. You couldn't see Neil's smile under the 'stach, but you can tell he was smiling.

Another friend also met him at a motorcycle shop. They both were browsing the shop.

The friend recognized him, but did make that apparent. They talked about motorcycles and where they ride.

Apparently, if you don't treat him like a god, and instead talk about motorcycles, or cooking or literature, you can have a warm conversation. It sounds like he just wants to be treated like a normal guy.

That's a pretty neat picture. Sure Neil makes it somewhat neat, but what makes it really neat is that you're buddies with Bill Gates!

• Like 3

"Must I get up?"

:LOL:

:laughing guy:

Right? I mean, seriously - "Must I get up?"

Oh, no, You Rock Royalty! :LOL:

That was back in his pre-royalty days. :)

JimboWTF, I may have slightly offended your friend with my comment - sorry if that was the case. It was meant as a joke! And I´m incredibly jealous he met Neil, of course.

Lump me in that group too :)

Me too. I think it's awesome.

"Must I get up?"

:LOL:

:laughing guy:

Right? I mean, seriously - "Must I get up?"

Oh, no, You Rock Royalty! :LOL:

That was back in his pre-royalty days. :)

No one told him that. He was rock royalty before he was rock royalty. :)

Edited by Lorraine

I've never been formally introduced, but over the years I have seen him many times backstage & at sound checks. His initial reaction to me was just a cold, icy stare as he'd pass by - no words spoken by either of us. But as time went on, he started to "soften up" a bit - first it was just a slight nod of acknowledgement, but as time went on and he apparently became more comfortable with my presence, things eventually evolved into the proverbial, "how's it going?". That's where we're at right now and I'm fine with that. I really have no overwhelming desire to converse with him much beyond that.

I did run into Michael fueling up his bike close to the venue in VA last year. He was surprisingly talkative.

• Like 1

I've never been formally introduced, but over the years I have seen him many times backstage & at sound checks. His initial reaction to me was just a cold, icy stare as he'd pass by - no words spoken by either of us. But as time went on, he started to "soften up" a bit - first it was just a slight nod of acknowledgement, but as time went on and he apparently became more comfortable with my presence, things eventually evolved into the proverbial, "how's it going?". That's where we're at right now and I'm fine with that. I really have no overwhelming desire to converse with him much beyond that.

I did run into Michael fueling up his bike close to the venue in VA last year. He was surprisingly talkative.

I don't understand why he feels the need to consider many of us a threat. I remember on BTLS, one of the men interviewed told about his meeting with Neil and how Neil greeted him with the same cold, icy look.

That's a pretty neat picture. Sure Neil makes it somewhat neat, but what makes it really neat is that you're buddies with Bill Gates!

I's that awesome couch!! :codger: :P

I don't understand why he feels the need to consider many of us a threat. I remember on BTLS, one of the men interviewed told about his meeting with Neil and how Neil greeted him with the same cold, icy look.

Clearly, it's a defense mechanism. I can certainly understand him giving off that kind of vibe until he knows someone's true intent/motives.

• Like 1

Most of us mean him no harm. Certainly he must know that. I admire him only for his talent. If the truth be known, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for all of them.

Feel sorry for them why? They are so much better off than the majority of the people in the world and live interesting lives. There is really no reason to "feel sorry" for any of them.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

Most of us mean him no harm. Certainly he must know that. I admire him only for his talent. If the truth be known, I feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for all of them.

Feel sorry for them why? They are so much better off than the majority of the people in the world and live interesting lives. There is really no reason to "feel sorry" for any of them.

I don't know...that whole thing where Neil's family died sort of sucked...