U2 and Apple iCloud, You LOSE!!

Principled Man

And this strategy has apparently been a huge success:

http://www.rollingst...launch-20140914

I wonder how many more people would complain if they had a Rush album forced on them? Would probably be somewhere in the trillions...

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Kind of a first world problem / complaint. "I am so pissed off that they gave me a free album from a band I don't like. Now I have to delete it." If it is the issue that you have no control over what Apple did, then time to get rid of all of your smartphones etc. That is the world we live in.

I can't speak for others, but I put a lot of time and effort into making sure my music library is carefully organized and curated. I do not like U2, nor do I want iTunes formatted crappy MP4s on my computer. Lucky for me I don't let iCloud touch my library.

The problem isn't that Apple gave away something for free, it's that they forced it upon everyone. If they had ASKED or simply made it free and told people it's free on the iTunes store nobody would complain.

And this strategy has apparently been a huge success:

http://www.rollingst...launch-20140914

I wonder how many more people would complain if they had a Rush album forced on them? Would probably be somewhere in the trillions...

Send it to those out-of-control Beliebers on Twitter, followed by some of the pics from NWW.

Kind of a first world problem / complaint. "I am so pissed off that they gave me a free album from a band I don't like. Now I have to delete it." If it is the issue that you have no control over what Apple did, then time to get rid of all of your smartphones etc. That is the world we live in.

But I want universal access to information with personal privacy and control. Are you saying those ideas might be in conflict? :eh:
  • Like 1

What's an iCloud? Is it a new version of the iPod?

Apple's cloud service. You can link any of your apple devices to iCloud by signing into your iTunes account. From there you can set what information is constantly synchronized between all devices connected by the same account.

Think of it this way: you have iCloud enabled on all of your devices. You open the notes app in your phone and write down the name of a band you want to look up. Then later you try to remember the name of that band. You're at home so you open up your macbook and open the notes app and BAM you see the note you wrote on your phone with the band name because after you wrote the note, it was uploaded to the cloud servers and when you turned on your macbook it saw that it's information was out of date compared to that on the cloud server so it got the updated info (ie the note).

This is also very useful if let's say your device breaks or you need to reset it. You log into iCloud and it downloads all of the latest information that was on the cloud.

When you buy songs on iTunes, Apple automatically adds those songs to your iCloud account, regardless of your settings. In this case, they forced the U2 album into everyone's accounts without permission. By default, more or less everything is synchronized by iCloud automatically so when people logged in they were forced to download the album without their knowledge or consent.

I know what you are saying, but still seems petty to me. I have over 3000 songs in my iTunes. I had to click on this freebie to actually download it so I am not sure what is different with my settings. I may never even listen to it. I am not a huge fan of U2. Eventually I will probably give it a listen. But it will join many other songs that I may never listen to again. I just looked at it as a nice gesture to give me their new album for free. The fact it is now in my iTunes does not phase me one bit.

What's an iCloud? Is it a new version of the iPod?

Apple's cloud service. You can link any of your apple devices to iCloud by signing into your iTunes account. From there you can set what information is constantly synchronized between all devices connected by the same account.

Think of it this way: you have iCloud enabled on all of your devices. You open the notes app in your phone and write down the name of a band you want to look up. Then later you try to remember the name of that band. You're at home so you open up your macbook and open the notes app and BAM you see the note you wrote on your phone with the band name because after you wrote the note, it was uploaded to the cloud servers and when you turned on your macbook it saw that it's information was out of date compared to that on the cloud server so it got the updated info (ie the note).

This is also very useful if let's say your device breaks or you need to reset it. You log into iCloud and it downloads all of the latest information that was on the cloud.

When you buy songs on iTunes, Apple automatically adds those songs to your iCloud account, regardless of your settings. In this case, they forced the U2 album into everyone's accounts without permission. By default, more or less everything is synchronized by iCloud automatically so when people logged in they were forced to download the album without their knowledge or consent.

I have a Samsung device - I don't think the iCloud is on it..! ;)