Rate Hemispheres

Segue Myles

Decent album, not as strong as Presto.

http://media.tumblr.com/7750072ca22ea0600dae8959b4c566a1/tumblr_inline_mpd4jadw4a1qz4rgp.gif

Hemispheres represented the musical Apex of this band. Just three musicians maximizing their potential and belting out kick ass music. I like Presto, don't get me wrong, but better than Hemispheres? Sir, I need you to relinquish that Rush badge of yours. Take some much needed time off and return when you are ready to stop talking crazy talk.

As for rating Hemispheres: All 10+'s.

Edited by anchorman
  • Like 4

I sorta agree with Cyclonius.

Hemispheres is a great album, but I find the Holy Tetralogy to be much stronger. Moving Pictures, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows.

This is where I part ways with most Rush fans.

Hemispheres - 8

Circumstances - 9

The Trees - 6

La Villa Strangiato - 5

http://crimsoncorvus.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/shot_in_the_head.gif?w=549

• Like 1

Hemispheres - 8

Circumstances - 8

The Trees - 9

La Villa Strangiato - 15

Probably how I'd rate the songs, too. I might knock Circumstances and The Trees down one notch each, but otherwise I can't disagree with your ratings at all.

A very good album, no doubt, but I think it gets praised a little TOO highly, judging from the attention it got on the BTLS documentary and the comments here on the board. Some people cite it as Rush’s very best. That’s their valid opinion, but I disagree. In terms of creating a side-long Prog Rock epic, “Hemispheres” (the track) falls a tad short for at least one simple reason: it’s only 18 minutes long, and much of that is ambient sound effects and repeated themes (e.g., “Apollo” and “Dionysus” are musically the exact same song). There’s actually only about 12 minutes of original music on the side; compare that to “The Fountain of Lamneth” and “2112,” both with more than twenty. I like the track and the album a lot; I’m just saying.

“La Villa Strangiato” is absolutely amazing. “The Trees” and “Circumstances” are pretty good, too. So maybe it gets praised because there isn’t an obvious “weak” track?

This is where I part ways with most Rush fans.

Hemispheres - 8

Circumstances - 9

The Trees - 6

La Villa Strangiato - 5

Not as strong as Presto? That's like saying diamonds aren't as strong as candy floss... :LOL:

• Like 2

Hemispheres - 8

Circumstances - 8

The Trees - 9

La Villa Strangiato - 15

Probably how I'd rate the songs, too. I might knock Circumstances and The Trees down one notch each, but otherwise I can't disagree with your ratings at all.

A very good album, no doubt, but I think it gets praised a little TOO highly, judging from the attention it got on the BTLS documentary and the comments here on the board. Some people cite it as Rush’s very best. That’s their valid opinion, but I disagree. In terms of creating a side-long Prog Rock epic, “Hemispheres” (the track) falls a tad short for at least one simple reason: it’s only 18 minutes long, and much of that is ambient sound effects and repeated themes (e.g., “Apollo” and “Dionysus” are musically the exact same song). There’s actually only about 12 minutes of original music on the side; compare that to “The Fountain of Lamneth” and “2112,” both with more than twenty. I like the track and the album a lot; I’m just saying.

“La Villa Strangiato” is absolutely amazing. “The Trees” and “Circumstances” are pretty good, too. So maybe it gets praised because there isn’t an obvious “weak” track?

My thinking on that is that Hemispheres is an actual song. While FOL may be longer and more diverse they are really just different songs that tie together to tell a full story. Hemispheres is only 18 minutes compared to 20+? Not much of a difference, really. They said all they needed to say in 18. :huh:

I love the way the music is consistent in Hemispheres. It is one song. Awesome.

The musicianship on that album is absolutely unreal. Considering their age as well (only 26 when they wrote it) it IS a masterpiece. Amazing what they did with (for the most part) a 1/2 step shift from G to F#.

Perhaps learning how to play and sing that entire album has given me a different appreciation. The interplay between Geddy and Alex on that song is very clever!

:o Gee, only a 2 for Hemispheres? I'm just curious…what don't you like about it?

:D

:) Well, I'll tell you. The whole concept just doesn't sit well with me. I think that the whole ordeal about the gods and goddesses and whatnot detracts from Cygnus X-1 as a whole and is a poor follow-up to an epic that was fine by itself.

By the way, the album as a whole is a tad weaker than Presto, in my opinion.

Edited by Disk98

:o Gee, only a 2 for Hemispheres? I'm just curious…what don't you like about it?

:) Well, I'll tell you. The whole concept just doesn't sit well with me. I think that the whole ordeal about the gods and goddesses and whatnot detracts from Cygnus X-1 as a whole and is a poor follow-up to an epic that was fine by itself.

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view8/4884090/passing-out-o.gif

• Like 2

Yep, I agree, though I wouldn't want the Presto fans to think I'm leagued with them or anything. We're talking two bottom-of-the-barrel Rush albums here.

Well, I actually love Presto. Hemispheres isn't bad, but…

Yep, I agree, though I wouldn't want the Presto fans to think I'm leagued with them or anything. We're talking two bottom-of-the-barrel Rush albums here.

Well, I actually love Presto. Hemispheres isn't bad, but…

http://www.picgifs.com/reaction-gifs/reaction-gifs/confused/confused011.gif

• Like 2

Remember when these were directed at me? lol

i still love seeing em though.

Mick

• Like 3

Remember when these were directed at me? lol

i still love seeing em though.

Mick

Yeah. Good times.

Disk98 will come around. He has to, right? :huh:

• Like 1