Your Favorite Concert Moments

I couldn't be on my feet the entire concert. I would be in pain for weeks after. Yes, I know some of you would say Rush is worth it, but you wouldn't be the one in pain. :(

Everyone would have to hold you up on their shoulders ;)

Fortunately I don't weigh much. :LOL:

Curiosity is killing me. Have you posted in "Post Pictures of You" yet?

• Like 1

I couldn't be on my feet the entire concert. I would be in pain for weeks after. Yes, I know some of you would say Rush is worth it, but you wouldn't be the one in pain. :(

Everyone would have to hold you up on their shoulders ;)

Fortunately I don't weigh much. :LOL:

Curiosity is killing me. Have you posted in "Post Pictures of You" yet?

No. We don't own a camera. Even if we owned a camera, we don't have a scanner.

I don't have any recent pictures of myself (mercifully). The last time I had my picture taken was sometime in the early nineties.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

One is Alex and Neil equally have a good time and interact with the crowd in subtle ways. I have seen too many bands that are freaking robots on stage, just going through the motions, practically pretending there is no one there.

I hear you. Saw Heart a few weeks back and was right at the front of the stage. The band was great but there was absolutely no interaction with the crowd. None! Like you said, felt like they were just going through the motions.

Interestingly, I saw Heart in February when they played the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo and had the same assessment. I wasn't on the floor (these old knees now enjoy the mezzanine, where you don't have to strain so much for a show), but I was close in the lower bowl on the Nancy side of the stage. They sounded great. Ann could still hit the majority of the notes and Nancy's guitar work has always been solid (her opening of Barracuda was *perfect*). That said, they just seemed to be playing as if they were filming a video. I was a bit disappointed by that.... but, again, they still sounded great and definitely deserved that RRHOF nod. I forget, who else got inducted in that class?!

Oh, one more. Can't believe I forgot.

Time Machine Tour. Not my favorite tour but the fact that I brought my two older boys with me was special. Seeing their faces experiencing them for the first time live was something I will never forget.

Absolutely. I love how fandom is now a family thing. My kids are older (20 and 18), so I have been taking them a while now... but it is always great family fun.

I actually really enjoyed the Time Machine tour for one reason... three words... The.Camera.Eye. Getting all of MP in one run was exciting, of course.... but, honestly (I know I might get blasted for saying this), if the band did not play Tom Sawyer or Limelight on the next tour I would be okay with that. It was hearing the "deep tracks" from that album live again after so many years, in particular, TCE, that made my night. I took my youngest to the first show I saw on that leg. She often tells people I let out a squeal during the middle of TCE during that show.

Um. Yeah. I am not going to deny it happening....

• Like 1

July 20, 2008, Charlotte, NC. My daughter Sam's Make-A-Wish. The best moment is when we were at the sound check and Alex stood 3 feet away from Sam and played her Hope. I'll never forget it. He just watched her, smiled, and played while she sobbed. That song just means so much to her. She listened to it A LOT while taking chemotherapy. The other great moment was when Geddy dedicated Mission to her. She was on stage during the song and was so excited. Mission was (and still is) one of her very favorite songs. I remember watching her during the song. I couldn't believe Geddy dedicated the song to her. I haven't heard him dedicate songs very often over the years.

By the way, Sam graduated from the University of Georgia in May with 2 bachelor degrees and is starting her graduate degree work at UGA next month. She remains cancer free!

Congratulations... on all accounts. Great story and I very much so appreciate your sharing it.

• Like 1

Early '79. Hemispheres tour. My first concert of any kind. They closed that amazing setlist with Neil's drum solo. At the end he stood up, and sort of flicked the 2 drumsticks out into the crowd. One literally landed in my hand without me even having to move!

I know what you mean. Exact same thing happened to me with Roger Daltrey's harmonica. Saw him throw it, disappeared in the lights, then dropped in my hand. Would probably be worth a ton as that was the Who's final performance ever, simulcast around the world from Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

Unfortunately the Who just couldn't stay retired and the harmonica resides somewhere in my basement.

But.... but... but... you still have Roger Daltrey's harmonica. That is *ridiculously* cool. Like a lot of prog rock fans, I love The Who (I still have the t-shirt I got at the August, 1989 Busch Stadium show of The Kids Are Still Alright Tour - although said shirt no longer fits me!). And I agree with the notion of it being unfortunate The Who aren't retired, but probably for a different reason. It just didn't seem right for them to tour after John Entwistle died. Sure, they get to make that decision (and I understand they made it with the blessing of Entwistle's family) and clearly enough fans show up to justify the effort... but it just didn't feel right. Granted, I have a lot of love for bass players and that probably makes me biased.

Oh, one more. Can't believe I forgot.

Time Machine Tour. Not my favorite tour but the fact that I brought my two older boys with me was special. Seeing their faces experiencing them for the first time live was something I will never forget.

Absolutely. I love how fandom is now a family thing. My kids are older (20 and 18), so I have been taking them a while now... but it is always great family fun.

The venue where I saw the TM tour had a big display you could text messages to, then they would appear. Some kid texted, "I am here as my parents' designated driver" :LOL:

if the band did not play Tom Sawyer or Limelight on the next tour I would be okay with that.

You & me both.

Edited by x1yyz

A year ago tonight in Salt Lake City, Clockwork Angels Tour was so good even though it was hot! The meetup before the show was fun, I got meet to some great Rush fans and got a cool souvenir from the Portland show. I stood up most of the time, dancing and loving every minute. I got chills looking up at the stars during Dreamline and the Percussor's solo, (with little nod to Neil Armstrong) it just fit so well with the songs. I floated home I was so happy. Listening to the live CD tonight to savor the memories :rush: :haz: :D

R30 in SLC was my first concert and I was so impressed with their playing even though I didn't know the songs as well then. Loved the funny bit with the dragon and bought the t-shirt with him on it and the Feedback EP. I really enjoyed their renditions of some great songs from my teenage years and it was my first purchase of a Rush album. Love the Medley at that show, it rocks :Alex:

• Like 1

As for me... I have three... and all fairly recent (although I have been more shows than I care to actually admit in the last 30 years).

1) San Antonio Alamodome, December 1996. I distinctly remember, in the first set, the band starting in on Red Barchetta. One of the of the secrets of the Alamodome is that the acoustics in the place are actually quite good for a concert. The intro came out beautifully and there was a buzz in the crowd that only increased with the lyrics. The sing along was amazing. I think this might have been the only time the band played the Alamodome, which is a bit of a shame as the other later venues in San Antonio (the defunct Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre and the AT&T center) just don't offer the same sound.... which is weird, I know, given we are talking about them playing in a football stadium. Still, that version of Red Barchetta has stuck with me for nearly 20 years.

I was at that show too, and it was an amazing night. This was the first time I saw the band in the US.

I can remember that sing along to Red Barchetta and I was near to tears when they didn't stop after Temples and played the entire 2112. Great memories. :rush:

• Like 2

I think one of my favorite concert moments was at Cincinnati Riverbend last year. I had on a T-shirt with a design on the front and Alex motioned/ asked me what was on my shirt. I just held up my hands because it was just a design I had made. That was way cool. Also love all the eye contact you get when you're up in the front rows.
  • Like 2

I think one of my favorite concert moments was at Cincinnati Riverbend last year. I had on a T-shirt with a design on the front and Alex motioned/ asked me what was on my shirt. I just held up my hands because it was just a design I had made. That was way cool. Also love all the eye contact you get when you're up in the front rows.

I don't know if I could physically handle that at my age. I'm serious. You have no idea (or maybe you do) of how the thought of sitting up front and actually seeing them in person (finally!!!) and making eye contract or having either Alex or Geddy actually acknowledge my presence, is beyond my comprehension at the moment. It would be the ultimate event in my life.

What impressed me about your post is how unimpressed they are with themselves. That Alex actually asked you that...

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I don't know if I could physically handle that at my age. I'm serious. You have no idea (or maybe you do) of how the thought of sitting up front and actually seeing them in person (finally!!!) and making eye contract or having either Alex or Geddy actually acknowledge my presence, is beyond my comprehension at the moment. It would be the ultimate event in my life.

What impressed me about your post is how unimpressed they are with themselves. That Alex actually asked you that...

He seems to really enjoy interacting with the audience. If I had to guess I'd say it's one of his favorite parts of touring. It's a real thrill to have them make eye contact with you and even more so to actually do something to acknowledge you. Geddy is a little more difficult to get a smile out of it seems. I think he's so into what he's doing but there are times especially during the instrumentals that they really interact a lot with the audience in the front.

• Like 1

Well, outside of the first time I saw them live(AFTK tour with UFO) it seems the two times I saw them outdoors stand out as the most memorable. R30 at Irvine, CA and the S&A tour at the Hollywood Bowl. I can't quite nail it down but just something about the sound and the night air made these shows feel so much more special than the ones indoor.
  • Like 1

First concert AFTK tour, i was feeling excited to see my first one and my favorite band. I got a last minute ticket for 5$ just on the side not too far from the stage. I don't remember much, a part by the strange impression that everything was in black and white... And that i found it funny how the boys were dressed up.

The guys were playing Subdivisions during the Time Machine Tour and both of my kids were each hanging on one of my sholders singing along and then Geddy looked in my direction and smiled.

I was in heaven!

:wub:

• Like 2

The guys were playing Subdivisions during the Time Machine Tour and both of my kids were each hanging on one of my sholders singing along and then Geddy looked in my direction and smiled.

I was in heaven!

:wub:

I think that's the best way to get Geddy's attention - bring your children to the concert - the younger, the better! :)

Early '79. Hemispheres tour. My first concert of any kind. They closed that amazing setlist with Neil's drum solo. At the end he stood up, and sort of flicked the 2 drumsticks out into the crowd. One literally landed in my hand without me even having to move!

I know what you mean. Exact same thing happened to me with Roger Daltrey's harmonica. Saw him throw it, disappeared in the lights, then dropped in my hand. Would probably be worth a ton as that was the Who's final performance ever, simulcast around the world from Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto.

Unfortunately the Who just couldn't stay retired and the harmonica resides somewhere in my basement.

But.... but... but... you still have Roger Daltrey's harmonica. That is *ridiculously* cool. Like a lot of prog rock fans, I love The Who (I still have the t-shirt I got at the August, 1989 Busch Stadium show of The Kids Are Still Alright Tour - although said shirt no longer fits me!). And I agree with the notion of it being unfortunate The Who aren't retired, but probably for a different reason. It just didn't seem right for them to tour after John Entwistle died. Sure, they get to make that decision (and I understand they made it with the blessing of Entwistle's family) and clearly enough fans show up to justify the effort... but it just didn't feel right. Granted, I have a lot of love for bass players and that probably makes me biased.

Yep, still got the harmonica. I'd have to look for it though. Also got the concert ticket and photos I took of Daltry playing it. One of these days I'll frame the whole shebang up :)

As for the Who retiring, they were probably the first band to pull that stunt. Sometimes I wonder if they ever really intended on retiring at all? Kiss has employed the same tactic over the years and its always resulted in huge numbers.

Anyway, if we are off the topic of Rush, here are a couple more highlights for me...

I was front row for Max Webster at Maple Leaf Gardens on New Years Eve, on of the few years that Rush didn't do it. As Midnight approached Kim came out to do the countdown but didn't have a watch. He borrows mine and New Years goes off without a hitch!

I was front row for Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers for the Damn the Torpedoes tour. Tom comes out for the encore and tosses me the towel from around his neck!

The lowlight was getting spit on by Steven Tyler. Wasn't purposely at me, but just shows what he thought of his fans back then.

Another lowlight was the Alice Cooper riot at CNE Stadium in Toronto. The show started at about 8:00 with the opening act, ZON, playing about a 40 minute set. The lights come up and the roadies tear down ZON and setting up for Alice. By 9:30 the stage is ready. There is an announcement that Alice is running late but is on his way. At 10:00 there are more announcements that he'll be here shortly. At close to 11:00 the announcement that he never left Detroit, everybody go home. I was front row when the chairs started flying over my head. Then bottles, drinks, food. People are lighting fires in the grandstands. The cops form a line with horses at the front of the stage so I'm caught between the rioters and the law. So I hop a fence and I'm backstage. Stand and watch the rest of the action with the guys from ZON.

Oh, here's another cool one. So after getting marries in 1991 it dawns on me that I haven't seen Rush in many years. Rush is at Maple Leaf Gardens and my new brother in law has connections in the biz. I call, he scores me a pair, and me and an old bud go to the show. We're sitting in gold seats on Ged's side. We make sure we are there for the opener, (the Tragically Hip) as my bud is a big fan. The Hip come on and the building is full, with the exception of our row. In fact its my bud and I and nobody else. Probably the only free seats in the building. After about the third song the seats are filled by a group of noticeably older folks, easily in their 50s. So the Hip rock the place, the lights come up and the old folks get up and leave. So after the break the lights dim and Rush hits the stage. Awesome! After a song or two, bud is punching me in the arm motioning me to look to my left. The empty seats had now been filled by the five members of the Tragically Hip. The old folks had obviously been parents and family and had split when Rush came on. Very cool night ;)

• Like 1

andreww we were at so many of the same concerts! I was at all of those show you mentioned + so many more. Great memories!

Yep those were the days weren't they? Tickets were really cheap back then so I went to just about everything. If Rush was playin 4 nights at the Gardens, I'd go at least twice. Probably still got change from a $50. And in those days you could smoke and drink in the building without much problem. Good times, good times.

• Like 1

Yes the smoke was thick! I still have all the old ticket stubs and concert reviews from the paper the next day. It is a highlight of mine that I saw Keith Moon in his last concert before he died.

I never knew that Toronto was Moon's last show. Makes sense that the band decided to do its retirement shows with Kenny Jones there as well. I think the band was just finding the sweet spot with Who Are You when Keith died. Such a shame.

It is a highlight of mine that I saw Keith Moon in his last concert before he died.

I kind of feel like that about the Grateful Dead. I saw them for the last time at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh at the end of June, 1995. He played 5 more shows after that to end the Dead's Summer Tour then died a month later.

I don't understand this really. They are great musicians and seem like cool guys but they are human beings like you and I. Meeting them would be interesting I guess but not something I would really go out of my way to do...unless there was some potential business/project reason for it. Or just having a beer maybe. I guess being "star struck" or whatever seems weird to me in general. I do work in film so maybe that's partly why I feel that way. But I definitely see why Neil has apprehension toward some fans...

I don't understand this really. They are great musicians and seem like cool guys but they are human beings like you and I. Meeting them would be interesting I guess but not something I would really go out of my way to do...unless there was some potential business/project reason for it. Or just having a beer maybe. I guess being "star struck" or whatever seems weird to me in general. I do work in film so maybe that's partly why I feel that way. But I definitely see why Neil has apprehension toward some fans...

Yeah who would want to meet their idols?? How weird!!! I'd much rather just sit on a forum all day and discuss them
  • Like 1

Yeah who would want to meet their idols?? How weird!!! I'd much rather just sit on a forum all day and discuss them

Idols? I appreciate them and their musical output but I in no way idolize them. And I'm sorry you sit on a forum all day with nothing else to do. I'm here to talk with other people who have a common interest, not divulge my love fantasies for a trio of talented musicians I've never known or met.

Edited by savagegrace26