Albums of the year so far??

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Jul 24 2005, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 24 2005, 05:18 PM)
QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Jul 24 2005, 12:52 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jul 23 2005, 11:04 PM)
i would be surprised if i owned more than 3 or 4 albums made this entire decade!  i definitely don't have anything from 2005... unsure.gif

Me neither unsure.gif

Do they even still make music these days? wink.gif ph34r.gif

Music is an ever-evolving thing. As good as rock was in the 60's and 70's, it is just not ever going to be that way again. As a music listener and appreciator, you have to be able to accept that the music you grew up with or your favorite kind of music is not going to return again. So unless you are perfectly content with living in the past, you have to be able to change your idea of what music is with what goes on. That doesnt mean you have to like everything, far from it, there is a lot of really bad music (just look at everything on the top 40 in the last 10, 15 years). But if you are willing to dig deep enough and give music an open ear, you may find yourself suprised with what is coming out today.

Please understand that all of this is my personal view, and I don't expect anyone to agree with it:

Whenever I talk about my love for 60's and 70's music and that I don't care for almost all music made afterwards, I always get the same argument, which is very similar to what Moonie said above - that great music is still being made, you just have to really search for it, stay open minded, etc. I'm not putting down that point of view at all, just mentioning that it seems to be a very popular one.

Basically, and again, I don't expect anyone else to see it this way, I do accept that the music from the 60's and 70s is never going to be that way again, and I actually AM perfectly content living in the past. That being said, I don't live in the past really, I live in the present, but most all the music I listen to is from the past, and that works for me. More than that, to me there was SO much music that came out of that era, that I still haven't come close to discovering it all yet. I literally have over 2,000 cd's, and about 95% of those are from the 60's and 70's, and still I have a massive want list of music from that era. Just listening to all that and getting familiar with all the stuff I've gotten but haven't yet absorbed takes up all my musical listening time. There are SOME things from the 80's and 90's I listen to (Rush being a very notable exception), but very little of it.

I actually agree that I'm sure there is good music out there if I care to dig for it. I just don't care to. If ever I get to a point where I really feel like I have everything I want to have from the 60's and 70's, that I've really listened a lot to all of it and I'm bored, wanting to branch out and try new things, then maybe I'll start looking around. It hasn't happened yet. In fact, I probably could have typed this exact same post on some message board 10 years ago (though I had far less CD's then), and nothing has really changed.

Some might think I'm living in the past, and that's fine, but it's an era of music I love passionately, and while there's still more great stuff to gather from it, I just don't see any point turning to current music and digging, and from what I've come across, I'd have to dig VERY deep to find the good stuff. Even in the genres like psych and prog that I love, people are always trying to turn me onto current bands, but 99% of the time when I give in and listen to what in there minds will undoubtedly be THE band that is SO brilliant it's just bound to change my views and open me up to the vast world of great new music flooding the market forever, it just ends up being ok for me at best, and usually worse, to the point where a person has to practically put a gun to my head and forcibly make me listen to something current, since the batting average is so low. They plead with me, I try to tell them that I probably won't like it, they're so convinced I'm wrong, I finally give in, I don't care for it, they end up being disappointed - it's happened to me a LOT.

I also haven't completely given up that there might be some kind of new musical revolution/movement/renaissance on the horizon that will really grab me. I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon if it shows up. In the 80's there was shoegaze, and I like and have some of that, and in the 90's there was a big surge of ambient/electronic (not techno) music, and I still have a fair amount of that and even listen to it still occasionally, but in general, it's a pretty dead area musically for me personally.

You can feel sorry for me if you want to that I'm missing out on all this wonderful and essential stuff, but I'm having a great time, constatnly discovering new bands and albums - it just so happens most all of those discoveries are from albums that are 30 to 40 years ago. Maybe for many people the big disadvantage there is that I can't go and see these bands live which is part of the magic of loving a current band. I appreciate that perspective, but it's really not an issue for me. Ironically, this is not at all the music I grew up with. I was born in 1969, and most of the music I collect now was from a few years before I was born until I was around 7 or 8. I grew up with 80's music. It just so happens that in my musical studying and searching, the music I personally think is by far the best is from the mid 60's to the mid 70's, give or take, not because it's what I grew up with. I can't let go of it, but only because to me it was such a wondrous period, a huge musical renaissance that hasn't come close to being matched. Once I discovered it, I for the most part abandoned the 80's music I was listening to and growing up with since I had found something I liked a lot better.

Anyway, that's the long way around for explaining why I have maybe 3 or 4 discs at most from this entire decade. If you enjoy current music, that's fantastic, and I wouldn't dream of taking that away from you or telling you that you're wrong. It's a subjective world. As long as you derive pleasure and enjoyment from music, to me and to most others, a very important part of life, than that's what's important. I don't expect others to listen to what I do, and they don't usually expect me to listen to what they do, just as long as we respect each tastes and let each other get on with it. I'm not saying anyone here doesn't respect my tastes or isn't letting me get on with it, I'm just saying... cool.gif

Peace,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y268/rushgoober/goob.gif

Is it just me or does Trent Renzor sound like he's singing the same song in every song they have? The phrasing, the key he sings in, everything. It's like the music is a little different each song but he's singing head like a hole in every song they have.

That being said, I saw NIN with Bowie about 7-8 years ago and it was a great show, I own a few NIN CD's and I even like them. But it's kind of like AC-DC, they play for years and sound about the same in every song. It's kind of like they don't realize that it's OK to sing in a different key sometimes.

Just an observation after hearing the new NIN. Again, I like them but it would be cool to hear them change a little bit sometimes. I'll give the rest of the CD a listen and see what I think. I do have a lot of respect for his mixing abilities and all that. But most of all, NIN puts on one hell of a show live, something about smashing instruments that is entertaining to me, the rage is kind of cool and anyone who comes out at woodstock covered in mud, throwing les pauls around, smashing keyboards is kind of cool in my book, even though the who did that shit back 30 years ago. Some things never get old LOL.

Album of the year? Right now it's a tie between the new Porcupine Tree or The Mars Volta's "Frances the Mute" IMO, but I haven't heard much yet, and in a somewhat different category, the new Black Dahlia Murder is reportedly fantastic.

My top 4 is set in stone basically...

1. The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute

2. Beck - Guero

3. Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth

4. The White Stripes - Get Behind Me Satan

Other contenders:

Weezer - Make Believe

Foo Fighters - In Your Honor

System of a Down - Mesmerise/Hypnotise

Billy Corgan - TheFutureEmbrace

Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies to Paralyze

Biggest disappointment: Coldplay - X&Y

QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 24 2005, 04:40 PM)
QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 24 2005, 01:16 AM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 23 2005, 07:46 PM)
I am NOT into prog at all,

This claim is a little strange considering that you are on a Rush fan forum.

Well I said I was weird. On the other hand Rush is in a category all their own. I have never ever thought of them as strictly prog.

Progressive is progressive. It's not a label, it's a quality of music.

An adjective instead of a noun.

Prog may be Prog but Rush is Rush. The only other prog band I can tolerate is Yes and thats only some of it. Maybe its because I have never put Rush into a category of music. There Rush. For me they dont fit into a category. They are unique, different and one of a kind. Their not anything but Rush!

QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 24 2005, 05:40 PM)

Well I said I was weird. On the other hand Rush is in a category all their own. I have never ever thought of them as strictly prog.

Heh don't worry man, i'm weird too!!! LMAO

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Jul 30 2005, 09:08 PM)
QUOTE (pixey @ Jul 24 2005, 04:40 PM)

Progressive is progressive. It's not a label, it's a quality of music.

An adjective instead of a noun.

i would say it's both an adjective AND it's a noun, and they both have dramatically different meanings.

i was never fond of the term progressive as an adjective as it refers to music in general that's supposed to be new and different somehow, and it's just too general for me to use in any kind of practical way - one could say a lot of dfferent forms, genres and styles of music are progressive under this defintion.

progressive music as a noun (even though technically the word is also an adjective) refers to a very specific style and genre that started at the very end of the 60's, but flourished in the early and mid 70's, and by the late 70's was all but dead (rush being a major exception, but having a VERY unique progressive sound). there also is progressive music in the 80's up through today (often called neo-progressive) that doesn't have the success the 70's stuff did that fits the same general definitions, but for me it is not and never will be the same as the golden age of prog music in the 70's, though some make no distinctions between the eras. here's my definition of that kind of prog i lifted from a different thread:

progressive music had some very recognizable elements that make one who is aware, pick out music that is progressive very easily. these factors are very complex arrangements, time signatures, time changes and a general musical complexity that usually took very skilled musicians to pull off well, grandiose themes often incorporating science-fiction, the occult or surrealism, very long songs that often were suites comprising several sections, and unlike psychedelic music which took its roots from rock, blues, folk and eastern music, prog music had its roots in rock, classical and jazz, giving it a completely unique sound. also, progressive rock made tremendous use of keyboards, very often specifically the mellotron (a keyboard that was really an early sampler that had tapes of orchestral and choral sounds that it would play back when hitting a key, but bending the sound and giving it a very cool sweeping, majestic feel), as well as sometimes including other more classical and jazz instruments like violin, flute, saxaphone, etc. to go along with the obligatory guitar/keyboards/bass/drums. some groups were so heavily keyboard dominated, that they didn't even have guitars at all!

White Stripes- Get Behind Me Satan. Literally everyone can find a song to hold onto in that- Garage Rockers (Blue Orchid, first single ) Teeny-boppers (My Doorbell, new single), experimentalists (The Nurse) Blues-rockers (Instinct Blues) Country fans (Little Ghost) acoustic... fans (Ugly As I Seem) everyone.

Archived