Should Rush still be performing live?

chasekratzer

For everybody that complains and says Rush shouldn't perform live, stop being so selfish.

You may not be aware of this, but this thread asked for opinions...presumably all opinions are welcome, yes?

The truth of the matter is it could be considered "selfish" to want them to keep touring. A case could be made both ways given their age and the wear and tear on them as human beings. I would love to see them again but not at the expense of hurting them or worse....

Agreed. One of the common straw men that is trotted out to be used against people like you and I goes something like, "you old fans can't accept that Rush aren't young men anymore -- you want them to be able to perform like they did when they were in their prime, well too bad, they're not", but I don't think that is our position. Our position is, "on the contrary, we do accept that they're not young men any more, that's why we think it's time for them to hang it up".

Pfffffttttttttttttttttttttttt :moon:

I think I caught some shrapnel or at least something on that one. To set the record straight, I didn't say they should stop but I would understand why they would. I also understand why folks think they should. They should at the very least tour at a slower pace (less dates and not for so long). Just my middle aged, not quite as old as they are opinion..... :codger:

For everybody that complains and says Rush shouldn't perform live, stop being so selfish.

You may not be aware of this, but this thread asked for opinions...presumably all opinions are welcome, yes?

The truth of the matter is it could be considered "selfish" to want them to keep touring. A case could be made both ways given their age and the wear and tear on them as human beings. I would love to see them again but not at the expense of hurting them or worse....

Where did I hear that before? :laughing guy:

I agree completely. Equally selfish to put pressure on them to continue touring. When you get to be their age, maybe you will understand. :codger:

• Like 1

I agree completely. Equally selfish to put pressure on them to continue touring. When you get to be their age, maybe you will understand. :codger:

There is a difference between "wanting" them to tour and putting pressure on them. I don't know them so there is no way I could possibly pressure them, I'm just over people telling them to stop when the band is saying they can do more/plan on doing more.

Geddy is 29 years older than I am and he runs circles around me, I can't keep up with the man when I go to concerts so I think he's fine, he's in better shape than I am.

Edited by gangsterfurious
  • Like 4

There is a difference between "wanting" them to tour and putting pressure on them. I don't know them so there is no way I could possibly pressure them, I'm just over people telling them to stop when the band is saying they can do more/plan on doing more.

Geddy is 29 years older than I am and he runs circles around me, I can't keep up with the man when I go to concerts so I think he's fine, he's in better shape than I am.

Pressure is put on them to tour by wanting them to tour. Management knows money, lots of money, can be made, and they in turn put the pressure on Rush to go out there and do it.

He may very well be in better shape than you, but he is still almost thirty years older than you.

Fu** it!!!,

Just retire boys. :codger: You have always sucked anyway. ;)

:o :D
  • Like 1

Pressure is put on them to tour by wanting them to tour. Management knows money, lots of money, can be made, and they in turn put the pressure on Rush to go out there and do it.

He may very well be in better shape than you, but he is still almost thirty years older than you.

Bah, keep in mind they are musicians and the best way to practice and use their craft while they still can, is to make new music and/or tour.

Like, there are certain things I am going to do with my body as long as I can get away with it (run, yoga, etc...).

Bah, keep in mind they are musicians and the best way to practice and use their craft while they still can, is to make new music and/or tour.

Like, there are certain things I am going to do with my body as long as I can get away with it (run, yoga, etc...).

Have you heard Geddy sing the last few tours? He's not "getting away with it" any longer. And both Alex and Neil have slipped on their respective instruments. Geddy's bass playing is still top-notch, though...it's to watch him play that's pretty much the only reason I even go to their shows any more.

Have you heard Geddy sing the last few tours? He's not "getting away with it" any longer. And both Alex and Neil have slipped on their respective instruments. Geddy's bass playing is still top-notch, though...it's to watch him play that's pretty much the only reason I even go to their shows any more.

I went to 6 Clockwork Angels shows and the RRHOF, I didn't have any issue and I don't care.

I went to 6 Clockwork Angels shows and the RRHOF, I didn't have any issue and I don't care.

That's cool...we're all tone deaf to some degree or another.

That's cool...we're all tone deaf to some degree or another.

I'm not tone deaf and that's not what I meant. I just said I don't have any issue nor do I care, as in I don't care to look for flaws when I'm just so excited to be there.

We all have to pack it in at some point. We are only human after all. I am just so grateful I was able to see them live for the first time back in 77'. These kicka** musicians have shamed there critics and are enjoying the fruits of life/ hard work and the riggers of touring and being away from there families. I am so proud of them still being able to put the energy,time and compassion in to what they do. :rush:
  • Like 2

Alex has "slipped"

If you say so.

If you listen to enough bootlegs, you know all three of them have made occasional boo-boos through the years. They write difficult, intricate music. Touring gets to be grueling. Alex has said in interviews that playing is sometimes painful. Neil has mentioned the physical toll that playing drums takes. I'm not making excuses for them, but I wouldn't say they're slipping. They seem to be getting better, actually.
  • Like 2

Alex has "slipped"

If you say so.

There must be a better example than that. The beauty of that clip is you can use your imagination to fill in so much!

• Like 1

If you listen to enough bootlegs, you know all three of them have made occasional boo-boos through the years. They write difficult, intricate music. Touring gets to be grueling. Alex has said in interviews that playing is sometimes painful. Neil has mentioned the physical toll that playing drums takes. I'm not making excuses for them, but I wouldn't say they're slipping. They seem to be getting better, actually.

Geddy sure seems to still be getting better at his instrument...the other guys, not so much,

Geddy sure seems to still be getting better at his instrument...the other guys, not so much,

You sure like talking about Geddy's instrument....
  • Like 2

I love the way he pounds it. :)

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm sure it makes you scream
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm sure it makes you scream

Like the only non-tone deaf person on the planet.

Well it is lovely.

Wait, what?

:blush:

• Like 1