Ghost Of A Chance?

Lorraine

I suspect that this song is disliked intensely by most here, but I like it, and I'd like to see them include it in their set list.

Just another laundry list of things Neil doesn't believe in. Except for ghosts of a chance, he believes in those. I like the guitar solo.

True, it does get tiresome. I just ignore the lyrics half the time anyway.

I suspect that this song is disliked intensely by most here, but I like it, and I'd like to see them include it in their set list.

Just another laundry list of things Neil doesn't believe in. Except for ghosts of a chance, he believes in those. I like the guitar solo.

I think of it as a positive thing, not a negative thing. The ghost of a chance just means a small chance, and that it's amazing that it happens at all.

• Like 1

Fu** that,

I love it!! :haz: First and only time I saw it live was in New Jersey 2008. Geddy's side. About 100 feet away. First time I saw Rush since 1981. I admit, tears were flowing a bit. :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

Fu** that,

I love it!! :haz: First and only time I saw it live was in New Jersey 2008. Geddy's side. About 100 feet away. First time I saw Rush since 1981. I admit, tears were flowing a bit. :rush:

Honestly, if I could get a seat 100 feet or less near that man, it would be a dream come true. :wub:

• Like 2

Fu** that,

Honestly, if I could get a seat 100 feet or less near that man, it would be a dream come true. :wub:

My wife is disabled so we got fifth row seats (Alex's side) to the TM tour at the St Paul Fairgrounds. My favorite concert memory was when someone from the road crew came down to our section and gave the disabled girl a row over some drum sticks and said they were autographed by Neil. The look on her face was unforgettable.

• Like 5

I just want to see Rush live.

...but this song would be a treat!

• Like 3

I hope you get to see them during this next tour. It's really an unforgettable experience.

I hope you get to see them during this next tour. It's really an unforgettable experience.

Um...are they touring again?

Are they not? ;)

Are they not? ;)

Say what now?

Are they not? ;)

Say what now?

They'll be opening for Lacuna Coil. You didn't hear?

• Like 1

Are they not? ;)

Say what now?

Cristina can duet on I Think I'm Going Bald.

Are they not? ;)

Say what now?

Is that related to an IUD? ;)

• Like 1

I think of it as a positive thing, not a negative thing. The ghost of a chance just means a small chance, and that it's amazing that it happens at all.

Exactly.

Honestly, I get annoyed that Neil gets knocked for being a thinking man. The dude doesn't exactly write "love songs". If a person wants to hear sappy love songs they should listen to country... or Journey.

But Neil does sometimes write about relationships and those songs (Entre Nous, Ghost of a Chance, Cold Fire, etc.) are more about how complicated relationships are... which is reality. I think that's why so many people knock Neil's lyrics. Listening to Rush is a form of escapism, but not an escapism from reality. Life, and the hardships of it all, are still in the lyrics. The escape is in understanding that other people out there, like Neil, relate (Subdivisions, anyone?).

In then end, though, I think Ghost of a Chance is a rather beautiful song about hope and the belief that you can find a partner to experience life with. And, truly, given what Neil went through and the fact that, despite that, he found a partner again is proof of the amazing miracle of human love.

So, yeah, that's a bit more complicated than Don't Stop Believin', but truly, let's all hit our knees tonight and thank whoever we pray to that Tom Cruise never "covered" a Rush song in a really bad movie version of a really bad musical. I, for one, like being the intellectual nerd follower of the thinking man's band!

• Like 2

Exactly.

Honestly, I get annoyed that Neil gets knocked for being a thinking man. The dude doesn't exactly write "love songs". If a person wants to hear sappy love songs they should listen to country... or Journey.

But Neil does sometimes write about relationships and those songs (Entre Nous, Ghost of a Chance, Cold Fire, etc.) are more about how complicated relationships are... which is reality. I think that's why so many people knock Neil's lyrics. Listening to Rush is a form of escapism, but not an escapism from reality. Life, and the hardships of it all, are still in the lyrics. The escape is in understanding that other people out there, like Neil, relate (Subdivisions, anyone?).

In then end, though, I think Ghost of a Chance is a rather beautiful song about hope and the belief that you can find a partner to experience life with. And, truly, given what Neil went through and the fact that, despite that, he found a partner again is proof of the amazing miracle of human love.

So, yeah, that's a bit more complicated than Don't Stop Believin', but truly, let's all hit our knees tonight and thank whoever we pray to that Tom Cruise never "covered" a Rush song in a really bad movie version of a really bad musical. I, for one, like being the intellectual nerd follower of the thinking man's band!

My thoughts exactly! How did you get inside my head? :)

Edited by EagleMoon

I'm not knocking him for being a "thinking man." Often, his lyrics are "interpreted" by me in ways he never imagined a fan would take them when he was writing them. From what I understand, he is perfectly okay with that. And, if the truth be known, his lyrics have helped me in ways he can't imagine. Or maybe he can.
  • Like 1

I'm not knocking him for being a "thinking man." Often, his lyrics are "interpreted" by me in ways he never imagined a fan would take them when he was writing them. From what I understand, he is perfectly okay with that. And, if the truth be known, his lyrics have helped me in ways he can't imagine. Or maybe he can.

It must be weird being them. Hard to imagine meeting fans who have known your music their whole lives. People form opinions about who you are and associate their memories of your music with events in their own lives. They would feel like they know you but it wouldn't be the real you. It would be the person they imagine you to be. I can see how that would have a bit of a creep factor to it. Especially with some people.

• Like 1

The song is a great one, but at this point if we're going to get rarer songs, I'd rather get something they haven't played recently.

It must be weird being them. Hard to imagine meeting fans who have known your music their whole lives. People form opinions about who you are and associate their memories of your music with events in their own lives. They would feel like they know you but it wouldn't be the real you. It would be the person they imagine you to be. I can see how that would have a bit of a creep factor to it. Especially with some people.

I completely agree. I have been very fortunate to run into each member of the band individually and in different settings. Each time, I was very careful not to be "that guy". Each time, it was obvious to them I: a), knew who they were; and b), was a fan. But, each time, I also was also cautious to not pretend that I actually knew them personally, or that I was owed anything from or by them. In the case of one, I was offered - by them - a chance to take a photo. In the case of another, we actually spent a good 5 minutes casually talking about things other than them or the band and the conversation ended with an polite handshake and well wishes. In the case of the third, I received a nod, a smile, and a simple "thanks" (that I took as appreciation for not being a weirdo). Granted, I was a much older fan by the time these things happened and the younger me probably would have had the "holy $***, that's... !" reaction. I can only imagine, though, that a reaction from the younger me would have been at best awkward and more likely potentially disturbing. Also, these experiences happened to me at a point in my life where I had become something similar to a local celebrity and couldn't go out to dinner with my family without being at best acknowledged but often more like accosted. Frankly, that lifestyle sucked and I am thankful it was short-lived. I don't envy any celebrity, but particularly the guys in Rush given the rabid fandom of their base fans, for that experience. I would hope that any of us would be respectful should we happen upon any of the three in public.

• Like 2

Exactly.

I have always thought this is the best song on Roll the Bones and frankly, the only song I still want to hear from that album.