rupert hine

lifeson90

So i'm checking out this 70s edition of top of the pops on the bbc and up pops this great performance by a band called Quantum Jump doing a song called 'the lone ranger'....

I remember it well was a weird and wacky brilliantly put together track of its day and i thought i'd google the singer as he was just so different i suppose.

Turns out was our rupert hine, producer of presto and roll the bones.

Now i didnt know this guy performed on that particular track, but im sure a lot of you do, so to anyone who hasnt seen rupert hine in action with quantum jump check the lone ranger out on youtube, is a real treat, although one of the lyrics could be argued as slightly homophobic by some. Enjoy :)

it's a bit weird, I'll admit, but not bad. Really different than what I'd expect from a guy like Rupert Hine.

Really hard to like something he was a part of considering the two albums he produced are in my opinion Rush's worst albums apart from the debut (though it's not all his fault)

• Like 1

Really hard to like something he was a part of considering the two albums he produced are in my opinion Rush's worst albums apart from the debut (though it's not all his fault)

Amen. Boouzje should've got the call for those albums—even though he was probably only a teen at the time. People bitch about Clockwork Angels production when Presto was bloody neutered. Thanks Rupert!

Amen. Boouzje should've got the call for those albums—even though he was probably only a teen at the time. People bitch about Clockwork Angels production when Presto was bloody neutered. Thanks Rupert!

Clockwork Angels has its muddiness but at least I can hear all 3 instruments and they all have balls to them. Even Hold Your Fire had more balls than Presto and RTB - just listen to Lock and Key.

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels has its muddiness but at least I can hear all 3 instruments and they all have balls to them. Even Hold Your Fire had more balls than Presto and RTB - just listen to Lock and Key.

I think it's time for Rupert to face the killer instinct, face it in you and me

• Like 2

Should've kept him under Lock and Key. Lock and Key.

• Like 2

Should've kept him under Lock and Key. Lock and Key.

How could he not have known he was entrusted with a sensitive cargo. I mean it was a ticking time bomb fer crying outloud.

• Like 2

We don't want to be his victims (on that we all agree). So we lock up his production instinct and throw away Presto and Roll The Bones.

Down with Rupert. He's the SOB that gave them that "civilized" veneer. Now the guys are drinking too much vino, getting in touch with their "finer" feelings.

Rupert Hine officially screwed the band up forever

We don't want to be his victims (on that we all agree). So we lock up his production instinct and throw away Presto and Roll The Bones.

Down with Rupert. He's the SOB that gave them that "civilized" veneer. Now the guys are drinking too much vino, getting in touch with their "finer" feelings.

HEY. There is NOTHING wrong with enjoying fine wine.

• Like 2

True, but it seems to impair the heart of these lonely hunters on their dangerous frontiers.

Gotta be balanced you know.

• Like 2

True, but it seems to impair the heart of these lonely hunters on their dangerous frontiers.

Yeah but the balance can sometimes fail.

• Like 2

Yeah but the balance can sometimes fail.

They used to be the Gods of Balance until their emotions tipped the scale

• Like 2

Ok...I LOVE PRESTO. The sound is anaemic, agreed, but it doesn't distract half as much as the polished RTB and I personally only dislike the sound of Superconductor.

I actually think the sound suits the style of music they wrote in that era, which I still prefer to VT and SA (glad they found their gonads on CP onwards though).

• Like 2

glad they found their gonads on CP onwards

Mr. Myles, you nailed the "elan vital" with that statement. You have proven your worth in arena of public opinion.

Thanks blud!

Rupert Hine and rock and roll go together about as well as pat Boone and heavy metal. It's funny because when I saw his part on the documentary, he presented exactly the way I imagined based on Presto. Soft. His claim to fame up to that point was being Paula Abdul's producer. It was such an odd choice. And then they brought him back after the travesty of Presto...head scratcher. He killed presto. I always wondered how lifeson was dealing with it while it was being mixed. Because his guitar sounds like shit on that album. He couldn't have been happy with the end result. And I doubt he was thrilled with bringing him back for Roll the Bones. Makes me think Geddy was really calling the shots

Thank god for Kevin Shirley and counterparts

A lot of Rupert Hine's productions have that thin, tinny sound. I have some old albums from the FIxx and Saga that were produced by him, and they have that "Presto sound" to them.

It's crip and clear and you can hear all the instruments, but dang, just no ballzzzzzz. :)

The only thing I mind with those albums was the lack of low end. I don't think they sounded thin.

There are times I still try and figure out what happened with Presto and Roll The Bones. The Audio Fidelity version doesn't sound as bad and I suppose I'll know what their version of Presto sounds like in a few weeks.