Lacuna Coil, Segue's Favourite Band Ever

A friend of mine who used to post here (SchemingDemon) just saw Lacuna Coil a couple of days ago in Columbus, OH. Here's a pic she took at their show.

LOL

http://i.imgur.com/8QwpzTW.jpg[/img]"]http://http://i.imgur.com/8QwpzTW.jpg

Damn. Talk about your conversation piece..... :LOL:
  • Like 1

So Segue, do you agree that Cristina's voice has gotten better with each album and that Hostage To The Light might just be the best vocal performance she's ever done? I'm kind of leaning that way right now.

So Segue, do you agree that Cristina's voice has gotten better with each album and that Hostage To The Light might just be the best vocal performance she's ever done? I'm kind of leaning that way right now.

Yes. Yes. Yes. And at 42 I have no idea how she keeps sounding so damn amazing when so many younger singers are rubbish!

And for the record, I think Andrea sounds awesome as well.

• Like 1

Yes. Yes. Yes. And at 42 I have no idea how she keeps sounding so damn amazing when so many younger singers are rubbish!

Man, I keep forgetting Cristina is 42 now. When you see current pictures of her she looks ten years younger than that.

I think one of the main reasons her and Andrea still sound so good vocally is because unlike some bands where english isn't their first language, they've really made a great effort over the years to get their english the best it can possibly be. They've come a long way since the first three albums when it comes to pronunciation and understanding of the language. I think that's helped them to sing much better now and has also helped them greatly when it comes to writing lyrics. Of course, they've also got to do the proper things to take care of their vocals to. But the effort they've made to improve their english I feel is really worth a mention and has helped them in the long run.

• Like 1

Man, I keep forgetting Cristina is 42 now. When you see current pictures of her she looks ten years younger than that.

I think one of the main reasons her and Andrea still sound so good vocally is because unlike some bands where english isn't their first language, they've really made a great effort over the years to get their english the best it can possibly be. They've come a long way since the first three albums when it comes to pronunciation and understanding of the language. I think that's helped them to sing much better now and has also helped them greatly when it comes to writing lyrics. Of course, they've also got to do the proper things to take care of their vocals to. But the effort they've made to improve their english I feel is really worth a mention and has helped them in the long run.

If anything good came from the Shallow Life recording sessions with Done Gilmore (I love the album, just no where near as much as the others), its the fact that Cristina took vocal lessons, in the process discovering she had an even higher and broader range than she had ever realised. Interesting fact: up until 2008/9, Cristina had had no vocal training. All she knew she had learned through trial and error, and experience. She has said many a time that she would rather focus on the feeling in her delivery rather than aim for technical perfection. Which amazes me.

Pure talent.

Andrea has had many lessons, which I think is great. His work on Karmacode and especially Broken Crown Halo has been excellent, and his work with the band is a big reason why I think comparisons to Evanescence is lazy. Sorry, but I really fail to hear the similarities beyond the fact both bands have women. I think Cristina sounds like a mix of Anneke Van Giersbergen and Grace Slick for one, whilst Amy Lee sound like Bjork if she tried covering Alanis Morissette tunes.

I like both bands, and I think both are very individual.

Ok so I'm gonna be honest. This is not my fav music style at all..........but.........her voice makes it worth it for me. If not for her voice. Wouldn't give these guys a glance. Might pick some up. Recommendations Segue?

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 1

Ok so I'm gonna be honest. This is not my fav music style at all..........but.........her voice makes it worth it for me. If not for her voice. Wouldn't give these guys a glance. Might pick some up. Recommendations Segue?

Mick

I have no idea...Shallow Life is the lightest, but possibly go for Dark Adrenaline. It is a recent work high on energy, melody and style. My personal favourite is Karmacode. Heavy middle eastern vocal influences, rewards with repeat plays. However, if you acceptnthe recording process was on a string budget, Unleashed Memories is very beautiful, and Comalies is regarded as one of the brightest commercial metal albums of the millennium to date.

Ok, Dark Adrenaline. It is accessible and a good entryway to the band.

Well guess what Segue? I had an Itunes gift card.......and i'm diving in. You know my musical attitude. When I go....i go hard.

I bought......everything.

It's a sickness I know.

Started with Dark adrenaline.....hard stuff so far. but very very melodic.

Mick

• Like 1

Lacuna Coil have always been melodic. Even the heaviest stuff is memorable. There is an excellent piano player on youtube who has performed some astonishlingly beautiful covers, many of which are of the heavier songs! Melody is why I love music. Amd DA and the new album BCH are their heaviest albums.
  • Like 1

Lacuna Coil have always been melodic. Even the heaviest stuff is memorable. There is an excellent piano player on youtube who has performed some astonishlingly beautiful covers, many of which are of the heavier songs! Melody is why I love music. Amd DA and the new album BCH are their heaviest albums.

Ok i'm 5 songs into DA.......the hooks are incredible. I smell an obsession blooming.

Mick

• Like 1

Ok i'm 5 songs into DA.......the hooks are incredible. I smell an obsession blooming.

Mick

Woohoo! This has made my day! DA is a beast!

• Like 1

Mick

If there's one thing Lacuna Coil knows how to do, it's melodic hooks. They've written many great choruses that just hook you in with the vocal melody.

• Like 1

Mick

If there's one thing Lacuna Coil knows how to do, it's melodic hooks. They've written many great choruses that just hook you in with the vocal melody.

I know right?

I half expected this thread to be full of insults. Hence the reason why I have waited months to start one of them!

• Like 1

I was approaching this band very cautiously Because I normally don't go for this style of band. But these guys make it easy cause of their melodic ability. I was fully prepared to toss them aside. Can't do that though.

Mick

• Like 1

I look forward to you're verdicts on more of their stuff! The ballads throughout their career are unique and beautiful. Falling Again hits me deep the same way Stevie Nicks Silver Springs and Landslide do.
  • Like 1

Well what i'm doing is I've started DA again and i'm gonna mark down my fav songs so i can come back to them. I've done this with every band i've gotten into. And i'll do this with all their albums. I shall report back as i progress.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Now give me a project Mr. Blue!
  • Like 1

Done. On grooveshark.com as we speak
  • Like 1

Ok so Having listened to DA in full twice and re-listened to my fav songs again.

This is how it stacks up.

my favs

1. Kill the Light.

2. Give me something More.

3. End of Time (my fav)

4. Fire

5. My Spirit

The whole albums terrific but those tunes jumped out.

1 album down.

Mick

• Like 1

Ok so Having listened to DA in full twice and re-listened to my fav songs again.

This is how it stacks up.

my favs

1. Kill the Light.

2. Give me something More.

3. End of Time (my fav)

4. Fire

5. My Spirit

The whole albums terrific but those tunes jumped out.

1 album down.

Mick

I love all those songs! The Army Inside is one of my favourites, alongside Intoxicated. End Of Time is beautiful. I love the acoustic version they play live!

• Like 1

Ok went to unleashed Memories next. These are totatally random Choices, BTW.

UM did not grab me as much as DA did. I only really gravitated towards 3 songs.

1. Purify

2. When a Dead Man Walks

3. Cold Heritage.

As i said this band is a totally blind experience so i'm sure they'll be stuff I dislike but i'll try this one again.

I've put on Karmacode. I like it better already.

Mick

Ok went to unleashed Memories next. These are totatally random Choices, BTW.

UM did not grab me as much as DA did. I only really gravitated towards 3 songs.

1. Purify

2. When a Dead Man Walks

3. Cold Heritage.

As i said this band is a totally blind experience so i'm sure they'll be stuff I dislike but i'll try this one again.

I've put on Karmacode. I like it better already.

Mick

Unleashed Memories suffers from poor production, and tbh I spent the best part of two years getting into it. I now think it is their most beautiful album, with Distant Sun and To Live Is To Hide being my favourites, alongside Senzafine and Cold Heritage. It is absolutely beautiful, I really adore it, but rarely would I offer it as a first timer. Imreally didn't like it at first.

• Like 1