Rush: The Rise of Kings Documentary Coming May 6th

Jag2112

HDnet was showing this last night. Not bad. It had one guy in there who was part of their very early touring days both pre and post Rutsey, and he had some interesting memories of all that, including all the issues around Rutsey being "released." He actually did do some minor touring before they got Neil, and supposedly his drumming actually was slipping from all the sex, drugs, and booze while being full-on diabetic. He downsized from double to single bass drum first, then had trouble performing even on a simpler kit, supposedly. There was a lot of archival interview footage and clips from shows we've mostly seen, but some stuff I never saw ever, like the promo video for the Necromancer--pretty psychedelic fantasy stuff, with an old Max Von Sydow-looking guy in a monk's robe and lots of green screen smoke effects, etc. a lot of the interview footage was a guy from prog magazine and other rush pundits expounding on the evolution of the band and how they fit or didn't fit with the rest of the industry until the 80s. Decent insights from lifetime super fans. They had a bit of Paul Northfield talking about engineering them in England and le studio, including the joke of taping the pzm mic on Neil's chest because he refused to loosen his top snare head, saying it sounds fine "right here," but they put some of that and some of Neil talking about their sudden fame from MP as if it was Permanent Waves instead (e.g., "everything doubled, then it went back to normal on the next album."). I enjoyed it, and it was a good 2 hours long.
  • Like 2

There was a lot of archival interview footage and clips from shows we've mostly seen, but some stuff I never saw ever, like the promo video for the Necromancer--pretty psychedelic fantasy stuff, with an old Max Von Sydow-looking guy in a monk's robe and lots of green screen smoke effects, etc.

I wanna see this now. :LOL:

There was a lot of archival interview footage and clips from shows we've mostly seen, but some stuff I never saw ever, like the promo video for the Necromancer--pretty psychedelic fantasy stuff, with an old Max Von Sydow-looking guy in a monk's robe and lots of green screen smoke effects, etc.

I wanna see this now. :LOL:

Me too! Our cable system has like a billion crummy channels but I don't see HDnet; I guess Comcast doesn't carry it. :( :( Ted Nugent Call of the Wild we get like 3 times a day, however.

Edited by blueschica

HDnet was showing this last night. Not bad. It had one guy in there who was part of their very early touring days both pre and post Rutsey, and he had some interesting memories of all that, including all the issues around Rutsey being "released." He actually did do some minor touring before they got Neil, and supposedly his drumming actually was slipping from all the sex, drugs, and booze while being full-on diabetic. He downsized from double to single bass drum first, then had trouble performing even on a simpler kit, supposedly. There was a lot of archival interview footage and clips from shows we've mostly seen, but some stuff I never saw ever, like the promo video for the Necromancer--pretty psychedelic fantasy stuff, with an old Max Von Sydow-looking guy in a monk's robe and lots of green screen smoke effects, etc. a lot of the interview footage was a guy from prog magazine and other rush pundits expounding on the evolution of the band and how they fit or didn't fit with the rest of the industry until the 80s. Decent insights from lifetime super fans. They had a bit of Paul Northfield talking about engineering them in England and le studio, including the joke of taping the pzm mic on Neil's chest because he refused to loosen his top snare head, saying it sounds fine "right here," but they put some of that and some of Neil talking about their sudden fame from MP as if it was Permanent Waves instead (e.g., "everything doubled, then it went back to normal on the next album."). I enjoyed it, and it was a good 2 hours long.

I'm a little surprised this was broadcast given its dubious origins. I suspect that Necromancer video was a fan made thing taken from somewhere. I suppose they could have gotten it from the guy who was there at the beginning.

That said I've always had my eye out for this but I've never been able to find it for the $10 I'd be willing to spend on such a thing.

I'm a little surprised this was broadcast given its dubious origins. I suspect that Necromancer video was a fan made thing taken from somewhere. I suppose they could have gotten it from the guy who was there at the beginning.

That said I've always had my eye out for this but I've never been able to find it for the $10 I'd be willing to spend on such a thing.

I just watched this on demand. It was okay. The Necromancer video was just scenes from The Visitor. :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vBRdplSps

It's not something I'd pay to see, but for a tv show-style doc, I thought it was alright--I'd recommend it as worth watching, not buying or paying to watch. Just to be clear. Let's not lose our heads. It was on fios, so I ran into it by chance.

Hey guys, if anyone else has AXS TV, they're showing this Tuesday night at 9:00 EST.

Oooh, thanks! We don't have the HDnet thing but we do get AXS tv so I will try to take a look. Don't think anyone will complain since the British Open will be over by then! :D

It's not something I'd pay to see, but for a tv show-style doc, I thought it was alright--I'd recommend it as worth watching, not buying or paying to watch. Just to be clear. Let's not lose our heads. It was on fios, so I ran into it by chance.

I wouldn't pay to just see it either, but I'd probably spring for it for less than $10 based on the "early roadie."

And you know, ten bucks is ten bucks.

• Like 1

And you know, ten bucks is ten bucks.

I see what you did there.

• Like 1

Pretty good doc, I thought. Love to hear people praising my favorite band, The lowlight? That guy saying he didn't think "Hemispheres" flooowed as much as the previous album, I can't even say, "Were you high?" because obviously, if he was, he'd have no problem with the floooow of "Hemispheres!"
  • Like 1