Just when I thought I'd never buy a PRS guitar, I see this...

Maverick

Is that an actual Bigsby tremelo?

It most certainly is.

:haz:

I love the way they look...very retro. Have you ever used one?

Is that an actual Bigsby tremelo?

It most certainly is.

:haz:

I love the way they look...very retro. Have you ever used one?

Last year I bought a Gretsch g5120, and of course it came equipped with one. Very smooth action, and very even pitch vibrato across all strings. They are best for subtle vibrato, and excellent for doing so with big, full chords.

I just sold a Custom 22 to Howard Leese from Heart. I loved the guitar but I just couldn't get used to the wide-fat neck. I'm thinking about picking up a P-22 next.
  • Like 1

Sorry Shelly, that thing is butt ugly.

I've never liked Bigsbys on anything but large hollow/semi-hollowbodies like ESs and Gretsches. On a guitar like that or like a Les Paul it's just too much, IMO. That PRS would be pretty nice looking with a normal trem or stop tailpiece.

Sorry Shelly, that thing is butt ugly.

I've never liked Bigsbys on anything but large hollow/semi-hollowbodies like ESs and Gretsches. On a guitar like that or like a Les Paul it's just too much, IMO. That PRS would be pretty nice looking with a normal trem or stop tailpiece.

They look great on Telecasters.

It's better than hacking into one to put one on.

And Les Paul DID do anything to his guitars. Weirdest damn guitars I ever saw. Low impedance pickups, half power switches, slanted single coils, all kinds of stuff.

It's better than hacking into one to put one on.

And Les Paul DID do anything to his guitars. Weirdest damn guitars I ever saw. Low impedance pickups, half power switches, slanted single coils, all kinds of stuff.

All in the name of research. Where would we be without Les and Leo?

A friend bought a brand new LP some years ago, a reissue Deluxe gold top (I forget the model year it was in tribute of). If you like goldtop Deluxes with mini humbuckers, and had money to burn, that was the one to get back then. Beautiful guitar! What's the first thing he did with it when he got it home? Drilled holes in it and installed a Bigsby. Couldn't believe it! He did an okay job on the install, but it wasn't perfect (he put a major ding on the top, and he had grounding issues from that point on). And even if his workmanship was flawless, whatever value the guitar had and could have had down the road was forfeited. There are guitars you can drill holes in, and those you can't. That goldtop was in the latter group.

Meh. My dad has a '77 goldtop deluxe. It's ok. It's gotta weigh 20 lbs. Sandwich body. I would have no problem putting a Bigsby on it. Myself even. Though dad's has Les' signature scrawled on the face in blue Sharpie. Not sure if that enhances perceived value at all. I have seen similar guitars in similar shape sell for about a new one or less. A goldtop could take a Bigsby with less damage to value than a flame top Standard.

I had a '71 SG deluxe that had originally come with a Maestro vibrola (like Alex's 355) that the previous owner removed for a stop bar leaving holes in the face. I loved that guitar but you couldn't find a spare Maestro in the 80's and I eventually sold it to a friend. Wish I hadn't.

Guitars are for playing, not collecting and selling.

That said, the pickups on the PRS are fugly. The pick guard makes things worse. That guitar is downright homely. The finish and the Bigsby are best thing about it. Maybe I'll see one at NAMM. Yuck. :)

• Like 1