Permanent Waves released on this day, 34 years ago

Brucey

Permanent Waves is an album I thought every Rush fan knew?

Get it now TM!

I'm nervous because of the cover...seems explicit

I feel your passion.

My favorite album. The playing is perfect throughtout, the keys are under control and have a great sound, and the ;yrics are solid. Geddy's voice is perfect as well...having moved away from the shrieking epics era. Great decision to modernize the sound and topics of their music. Can you imagine if they would have stuck with the goofy Sir Gawain idea?
  • Like 4

Permanant Waves is just great. Oddly enough, my least favorite song on the album is Jacob's Ladder. Bash me all you want, I really don't care. The song just doesn't click for me :shrug:

Get it now TM!

Hope he doesn't turn around.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

I just died. Thank you for making my evening.

• Like 2

Get it now TM!

Hope he doesn't turn around.....

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6c/Rush_Hemispheres.jpg

I just died. Thank you for making my evening.

I'll be here all week..... :)

Permanant Waves is just great. Oddly enough, my least favorite song on the album is Jacob's Ladder. Bash me all you want, I really don't care. The song just doesn't click for me :shrug:

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: Edited by goose
  • Like 1

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Opinion remains unchanged, only now I need a hard drink after that.

• Like 1

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

At least he didn't demand your :rush: card..... :)

:D
  • Like 1

You can only use the "Rush" card surrender so often...I've copyrighted it

—Gene Simmons

• Like 3

What's a Rush card?

Oh you don't know.

It's the thing you ask for when a professed fan trolls or is just being difficult. For example:

"Man I really wish Rush would stop touring because Geddy's voice is degrading so badly"

At that point, the so-called fan needs his Rush "card" yanked for just being a doosh.

• Like 1

What's a Rush card?

Oh you don't know.

It's the thing you ask for when a professed fan trolls or is just being difficult. For example:

"Man I really wish Rush would stop touring because Geddy's voice is degrading so badly"

At that point, the so-called fan needs his Rush "card" yanked for just being a doosh.

Noted. Steering clear of that phraseology...... :D-13:
  • Like 1

Ok lemme test this out:

"Why did Rush rip off Toto by releasing a covers album?"

And also:

"What's the big deal about Hemispheres? We all know Rush didn't release a truly great album until Fly By Night!"

• Like 1

Ok lemme test this out:

"Why did Rush rip off Toto by releasing a covers album?"

And also:

"What's the big deal about Hemispheres? We all know Rush didn't release a truly great album until Fly By Night!"

Rush and Toto in the same sentence does sting a little I must admit...... :)

Rush and Toto in the same sentence does sting a little I must admit...... :)

Must be infectious! Wink wink!

• Like 1

A soaring, magnificently beautiful album, so clean and brilliant. Just an f'ing monster of an album, excuse the french. I pine for such Rush greatness.

Which boggles my mind since Clockwork Angels is, IMO, their greatest work since this album—nostalgia aside.

You should buy a copy. You'll not be disappointed!

• Like 2

As an 8th grader who had listened to either AFTK or Hemispheres every day of the preceding 2+ years, the release of Permanent Waves was a seismic event. First impression was disappointing as it wasn't just more Hemispheres, but I quickly got over it when I came to realize that I was listening to a masterpiece, an opinion that hasn't changed. I think that this is their most "adult" album, lyrically and musically (esp the guitar work of Different Strings). Short running time at less than 36 minutes: a perfect case for quality over quantity. Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

:bitchslap:

That song is absolutely beautiful. Great imagery, it build perfectly, amazing musicianship... :facepalm: ugh. Trust me, it's great!

• Like 5

My least favourite song on PeW is a 10/10. Take that, Natural Science!

I cannot fault anything on this album. At all.

• Like 5

As thegirlintherushshirt hinted at, you can look at this album as the end of the beginning or the beginning of the end for those who preferred the sci-fi slanted concept albums and opus' era. I remember hearing "Spirit..." on an AM station and getting freaked over the boys selling out.

Also as rutlesfan pointed out, it may have been their best from a lyrical point. I believe "Jacob's Ladder" was, in some ways, the same as "Song Remains the Same" for Zeppelin. Some critics felt that song was Zeppelin at their final peak before they eventually went downhill. Of course we could quibble if Rush really ever went downhill but I find that song be sort of the peak of their progressive(?) era before they moved on to a new "phase."

• Like 2